Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster Legroom

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Legroom

I’m 6’3” with a 36” inseam. What is the legroom like in a roadster, and is there a way to maximize it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'2" with a 36' inseam. Plenty of legroom if the seat is mounted all the way back, with really no way to add more legroom. Only problem I have is bending my left leg short enough to get out of the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There are several simple mods you can do.
    • Use a small block instead of a big block.
    • Add dead pedal space on the left hand side of the footbox.
    • Use Wilwood adjustable pedals
    • Use a racing seat, mounted to the floor
    • Russ Thompson Gas Pedal
    • MKIII: Cut out footbox crash bar.

If you use a small block motor, you can increase the size of the right-hand side of the footbox.
    Some folks add a dead pedal to the left of the clutch. I cut out the crash bar (On a MKII the bar is shaped differently and restricts legroom) and my left foot rests against the front of the footbox.
    Wilwood pedals can add 2" of legroom (or more) over stock mustang pedals.
    A 17" Kirkey seat mounted to the floor and pushed back to the rear bulkhead add adds 2" inches of headroom (important for seeing thru the windshield) and 2" of legroom. I added a touch more by putting a very slight forward tilt to the seat with a bracket.
    I used a Russ Thompson gas pedal which I bent to the right with a vise. Then I cut the right hand side of Wilwood brake pedal. I can drive my roadster with my size 16 running shoes.

As mentioned above, I cut out my footbox crash bar. I don't think I'd have to do that with a MKIV. My car is driven 99% on the street.

I'm 6' 6" and 300+ lbs. The mods above make my car a perfect fit for me. If you are ever in SoCal you are welcome to stop by and try it on for size.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    There are several simple mods you can do.
    • Use a small block instead of a big block.
    • Add dead pedal space on the left hand side of the footbox.
    • Use Wilwood adjustable pedals
    • Use a racing seat, mounted to the floor
    • Russ Thompson Gas Pedal
    • MKIII: Cut out footbox crash bar.

If you use a small block motor, you can increase the size of the right-hand side of the footbox.
    Some folks add a dead pedal to the left of the clutch. I cut out the crash bar (On a MKII the bar is shaped differently and restricts legroom) and my left foot rests against the front of the footbox.
    Wilwood pedals can add 2" of legroom (or more) over stock mustang pedals.
    A 17" Kirkey seat mounted to the floor and pushed back to the rear bulkhead add adds 2" inches of headroom (important for seeing thru the windshield) and 2" of legroom. I added a touch more by putting a very slight forward tilt to the seat with a bracket.
    I used a Russ Thompson gas pedal which I bent to the right with a vise. Then I cut the right hand side of Wilwood brake pedal. I can drive my roadster with my size 16 running shoes.

As mentioned above, I cut out my footbox crash bar. I don't think I'd have to do that with a MKIV. My car is driven 99% on the street.

I'm 6' 6" and 300+ lbs. The mods above make my car a perfect fit for me. If you are ever in SoCal you are welcome to stop by and try it on for size.

Size 16 shoes!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try searching on username "bjandorph" on the "other" forum......he's 6'7, and did a great job illustrating all the modifications. I'm 6'5, mine works as well as a number of other sports cars I've had. Just gotta work at it. Good luck!
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!