BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hard top?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard top?

Hi..

Living in a cold place in the world I was wondering if the 818 is going to get an hard top option?

//Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    No.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice answer Craig. There was talk of a coupe, but it will not be released right away. Someone also makes a hard top for the mk, so it was thrown around that somebody might be interested in making one or start making them. We'll have to wait and see what's next for ffr in regards to 818 updates.

Factory Five Distributor Hammink Performance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen some nice targa ideas come by on this forum, that with some side windows would be great!
    Distributor of Factory Five for Europe
    www.hamminkperformance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would really like a hardtop but I think that with the current pre-order volume that the focus is likely to be elsewhere. I do hope that FFR will release a soft top similar to some that are available for the Solstice. In fact maybe there are parts that could be used from that platform? upholsterypictures3222008_195.85192844_std.jpg ag_07solstice_rear_tu.jpg
    Last edited by Mike N; 11-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    While the roadster crowd enjoys the ability to shelter their vehicle half the year, the 818 could be different. It's going to attract a much younger buyer who may need to actually use the car more than sunny Sundays.

But, it becomes a tougher deal to finesse. The experience of the GTM and Coupe buyers and how they deal with the issue of a top is an example. The top itself, and how it integrates with the windshield and rear sails, plus back glass isn't too difficult. The expense is reasonable. What becomes an obstacle are roll up windows. That is a fabrication issue beyond the ability of most builders. Integrating the mechanism into the doors is mostly a choice between plexiglass sliders, or using a proprietary and existing mechanism from a donor. That donor's glass shape has to be compatible, and that creates a high standard. It has to fit to within a 1/8", and we can't cut tempered glass to make it fit.

Roll up window kits for the Coupe exist, about $3000. Ouch. There's the problem in a nutshell. It's a major area of coachbuilding construction, and the kit market finds it daunting. It's why the roadster is popular, and why coupes of any stripe so expensive.

Here's a view of what it takes to get the GTM windows set up :http://vraptorspeedworks.com/window-track-positioners/

The roof is easy, it's those darn roll up windows we take for granted. There's more to the mundane side of our daily drivers than we think. We tend to be engine centric because of our testosterone altered thinking. We all know the names of the great engine designers and builders from the past, but who can we credit for the first roll up window?

Once you get that figured out, then making a flat screen TV rise up out of it's cabinet is a piece of cake. Same kind of engineering. Those aren't cheap either.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tirod,
    You nailed it. The technology savvy like "fastthings" (did you see his window install videos?) have trouble with it. OMG. That could drive someone away from a GTM build if anything could. It isn't reasonable to include that task of operating windows in the same class as a low budget build (to facilitate a hard top install). I'm sure someone will do it but to expect that it will ever be a real kit option is a stretch! The 33 Hot Rod lends itself to easier rollups or power due to door construction. No such luck on the other projects. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said. IMO the thought that you could use an 818 as a daily driver is a bit of a stretch. This will be a fun car but the normal creature comforts, we take for granted today will be hard and pricey to install in this car. It is a 10K kit after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    While the roadster crowd enjoys the ability to shelter their vehicle half the year, the 818 could be different. It's going to attract a much younger buyer who may need to actually use the car more than sunny Sundays.

But, it becomes a tougher deal to finesse. The experience of the GTM and Coupe buyers and how they deal with the issue of a top is an example. The top itself, and how it integrates with the windshield and rear sails, plus back glass isn't too difficult. The expense is reasonable. What becomes an obstacle are roll up windows. That is a fabrication issue beyond the ability of most builders. Integrating the mechanism into the doors is mostly a choice between plexiglass sliders, or using a proprietary and existing mechanism from a donor. That donor's glass shape has to be compatible, and that creates a high standard. It has to fit to within a 1/8", and we can't cut tempered glass to make it fit.

Roll up window kits for the Coupe exist, about $3000. Ouch. There's the problem in a nutshell. It's a major area of coachbuilding construction, and the kit market finds it daunting. It's why the roadster is popular, and why coupes of any stripe so expensive.

Here's a view of what it takes to get the GTM windows set up :http://vraptorspeedworks.com/window-track-positioners/

The roof is easy, it's those darn roll up windows we take for granted. There's more to the mundane side of our daily drivers than we think. We tend to be engine centric because of our testosterone altered thinking. We all know the names of the great engine designers and builders from the past, but who can we credit for the first roll up window?

Once you get that figured out, then making a flat screen TV rise up out of it's cabinet is a piece of cake. Same kind of engineering. Those aren't cheap either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post

But, it becomes a tougher deal to finesse.......... What becomes an obstacle are roll up windows. Integrating the mechanism into the doors is mostly a choice between plexiglass sliders, or using a proprietary and existing mechanism from a donor.................

Roll up window kits for the Coupe exist, about $3000. Ouch. There's the problem in a nutshell. It's a major area of coachbuilding construction, and the kit market finds it daunting. It's why the roadster is popular, and why coupes of any stripe so expensive........
    And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with providing a coupe, a removable hardtop, or a hard targa for a kit car at this price point. Roll up windows are simply going to cost too much to be practical. The only realistic solution -- IHMO -- will likely be the use of plexiglass sliders. Its not the solution most will want -- but it may turn out to be the only one available. Personally, I'd be happy with a set of removable plexiglass sliders in a Targa configuration. Just my .02

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where there is a will there is a way.....I used my first Cobra as a DD for 8+years! Driven in the snow and all. It can be done. I myself don't plan on waiting for the hardtop design on coming out.. I will be making one from the word go. Roll up windows might be a stretch, but we'll see. A hard top or soft top option for anything less than $3000 + the kit IMO is unrealistic. ...but I guess we'll see...For 10K already the kit is bargin in my opinion...would be need to see a bunch of options that one could add on, almost like ordering a pizza...that would be a neat idea...for 10K you get the plain cheese pizza version. +1K for race version, + 2K for targa +3K for Coupe and so on. just throwing it out there....for me...Hardtop! with either rollups or glass inserts a la coupe type.... for now...still planning...BIG TURBO
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 305mouse View Post
    Nice answer Craig. There was talk of a coupe, but it will not be released right away. Someone also makes a hard top for the mk, so it was thrown around that somebody might be interested in making one or start making them. We'll have to wait and see what's next for ffr in regards to 818 updates.
    Lol. I was using my phone in a plane and they were saying.g to turn off electronics. Haha
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    Where there is a will there is a way.....I used my first Cobra as a DD for 8+years! Driven in the snow and all. It can be done. I myself don't plan on waiting for the hardtop design on coming out.. I will be making one from the word go. Roll up windows might be a stretch, but we'll see. A hard top or soft top option for anything less than $3000 + the kit IMO is unrealistic. ...but I guess we'll see...
    Likewise. Although my first choice would have been a Targa-top 818, I'm in from the gitgo. I'll build mine with the optional soft top and sidecurtains, even at a 3K premium. Then I 'll consider opting for a Targa a couple of years down the road, if it is designed in such a way that it can be retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Well said. IMO the thought that you could use an 818 as a daily driver is a bit of a stretch. This will be a fun car but the normal creature comforts, we take for granted today will be hard and pricey to install in this car. It is a 10K kit after all.
    Yes, using the $10K Roadster version as a DD is more than a stretch. I have not heard anyone contemplating that. I have heard plenty pining for a hardtop or Coupe version to use as a DD. But then, such ones have a different definition of DD than most others. I think most that are thinking 818 DD are guys that might have DD a motorcycle, or at least are of that mindset. To them, 'Creature Comforts' are limited to some sort of heat, maybe some sort of A/C, and some sort of mostly water tight roof and window setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Yes, using the $10K Roadster version as a DD is more than a stretch. I have not heard anyone contemplating that.
    I plan on using mine as an almost-daily driver; at least as fair weather commuter. Living in San Diego, that's just about year-round! I will have either a soft-top, tonneau or car cover for parking at work, and plan to have a back-up/rainy-day car, though.

It may sound impractical, but I've been talking with a friend/co-worker who's daily driver is a '61 MG-A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_MGA). He just put the soft-top on after six months of commuting daily in it top-less, I don't see it much of a stretch (at least in some parts of the country).

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on using it as a DD. FFR already stated that they will not be releasing a hardtop at launch but instead will be offering a $3K soft-top ! What I plan on doing is using the roadster as a daily driver and if/when they offer a targa/hardtop I will replace the roadster. Hopefully the way they go about designing the coupe or targa they take into consideration the countless other people who will have already bought the 818-S. Hopefully they design it in a way that you only have to either A, replace a small or singular panel or B, a bolt-on option. Anyways, just throwing my 2 ¢ out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    I think most that are thinking 818 DD are guys that might have DD a motorcycle, or at least are of that mindset. To them, 'Creature Comforts' are limited to some sort of heat, maybe some sort of A/C, and some sort of mostly water tight roof and window setup.
    Motorcyclist here, What are these "Creature Comforts" of which you speak? :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with providing a coupe, a removable hardtop, or a hard targa for a kit car at this price point. Roll up windows are simply going to cost too much to be practical. The only realistic solution -- IHMO -- will likely be the use of plexiglass sliders. Its not the solution most will want -- but it may turn out to be the only one available. Personally, I'd be happy with a set of removable plexiglass sliders in a Targa configuration. Just my .02
    FFr already offers a power window option for the 33 to go along with the removable hard top so FFr already has experience in offering this kind of thing. And considering all that you are replacing is essentially one panel on the 818 this can be done and at a reasonable price point. But it's going to take a bit more time to get it done as I am sure they are still experimenting with different designs/options.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Rough cartoon of roll-up window.. showing up down position. I think it has possibilities.
    Hardtop with roll-up window.jpg

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Lol. I was using my phone in a plane and they were saying.g to turn off electronics. Haha
    I figured something was up, your answers are never that short. That's a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlahl3160 View Post
    Rough cartoon of roll-up window.. showing up down position. I think it has possibilities.
    Hardtop with roll-up window.jpg

John
    I like it. I think you could even rotate the window a bit more while it is in the door so the the back edge could reach further back into the black area which also could be glass. but that would give you better visibility. the one other thing that people coud do is zip up windows like they have in jeeps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayai View Post
    Motorcyclist here, What are these "Creature Comforts" of which you speak? :P
    Exactly. So long as there is a way to defrost the windshield and you don't get wet then you're good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FFR where's the hardtop guys???
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably kept secret till Huntington Beach or open house

Post Thanks / Like
    When is open house or Huntington beach?

Dying to see this coupe!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    When is open house or Huntington beach?

Dying to see this coupe!
    HB in April and the open house in June. At least that's when it was the last couple years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think a sooner release!! Say February
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing since the Hard Top tease thread.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Hard-Top-Tease

Quote Originally Posted by Louisromersh View Post
    Factory Five keeps teasing us this pictures like this! To see more pics of Factory Five post of A Day in the Life at Factory Five see link

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-factory-five/

Attachment 34239
    I think it's high time another photo gets "leaked" to the salivating masses.
    Give us what we want Mr Smith!
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife