Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Angle Drill

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Angle Drill

Looks like I need yet another tool: An angle drill.

Kind of torn on what to buy. I would like to get a cordless angle drill because I have found myself needing one for home improvement projects, but they are large and I worry about them not fitting into some of the areas on the 818 that I need to drill. Air drills are smaller and cheaper and would probably get into the areas I need - down side that I'm limited to using them in the shop.

So question is: Have any of you who have used a cordless angle drill had any spots you couldn't get to with it?

I tried the angle attachments (for regular drills) mentioned in other threads but they won't work for a few of the areas I need to drill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stayed away from the cordless one because i was afraid that when i needed it it would not be charged. It would be used so infrequently that it might lose its charge. Couldnt find one that used the same batteries as my normal drill. Something to consider.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a cheap pneumatic one from Harbor Freight, I couldn't go cordless, DeWalt changed from 18 to 20 volt batteries on me... it fits almost anywhere with a short bit
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I tried the angle attachments (for regular drills) mentioned in other threads but they won't work for a few of the areas I need to drill.
    Which areas didn't work with the angle attachment? I was thinking about getting one of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both a cheap pneumatic one from HF and an angle attachment from lowes
    The angle attachment is impact ready and takes 1/4 hex bits and with short bits also from lowes gets in tighter spots then my HF pneumatic one and drills faster cleaner holes when used with my Milwaukee battery operated impact driver

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the Milwaukee camp,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ouch...... angle drills seem to be an expensive tool anyway you look at it. I bought a cheap corded model (under 50 bucks) from Menards, cant remember the brand but they probably have it made for them in china. regardless, i have used it in my build wherever i cant use a regular dewalt 18V cordless. I have had to cut some drill bits down to stubby's to get closer in the corners but overall the drill has worked great. for the money and for as often as i use it, i couldnt justify spending more on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 12 volt Milwaukee that I am very happy with overall. It is smaller than the 18 and 24 volt drills. There are, however, places it won't get to. In some cases I found I could reach them by putting a drill bit in the flexible extension for my Dremel. The toughest piece to install is the aluminum triangle that goes on the side in the front end next to the brake master cylinder. Install it before you permanently install the master cylinder and steering column and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I'm in the Milwaukee camp,

I use the battery Milwaukee one and I am very happy with it. Get 2 batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I thought about getting an inexpensive corded close-quarters/angle drill to get in tight spots, but went with a right angle adapter instead. It's more cumbersome to work with, but it actually gets in tighter spots (lower profile), works with larger bits and was cheaper.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies.

To answer questions above "Where does the right angle attachment not fit/work": Drilling out the additional hole in the brake pedal. A regular drill won't fit in there. The angle attachment for a regular drill fits, but the stubby bits that come with the 1/4" hex base are actually TOO short (the head of the angle attachment hits the pedal bracket before the bit can reach the pedal) and since the angle adapter has a hex base, it won't take a normal bit.

I've been trying to buy the cheap HF angle drill for three weeks at my local store but they have been out of stock. I love that a company like HF, in the year 2014, can't tell me when it's coming back in stock. I could order it online but I need it ASAP. That's part of the problem..... to buy a nice air angle drill, the price approaches a cordless unit.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 11-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a RA drill for some work under my trailer and because I needed it for only a couple spots, cost came to be a big factor and I went with corded. I believe it is a Chicago brand, think from HF. I looked at the right angle adaptor but it would not fit in the space between the frame rails I needed to get into.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a corded one from HFT. Not bad, but I wouldn't buy one again. The chuck is difficult to clamp tightly. But it has seen me through most of my build.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought this one through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Is compact enough to get wherever I've needed it to go. I've been pretty happy with the Chicago Pneumatic brand. Not pro quality necessarily, but a cut about the HF stuff in my experience. I also have a cheap $20 right angle adapter from Lowes that works OK in my regular drills, but it's pretty cumbersome to use.

I also really like the Milwaukee branded tools. My primary cordless drill is one of those. Brushless motor and lithium ion batteries. Amazing tool. And those batteries stay charged on the shelf way better than older nicads or NiMH. I looked at the Milwaukee right angle drill, but at over twice the price plus batteries, just couldn't justify it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 18v Milwaukee. Between it and the 'regular' one you can probably get to 95+% of the spots you need. There are a few tough spots still.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got 2 right-angle drill attachments but I've found that a 12-inch drill bit gets to a lot of places - not all, but a lot. The 1/8 and 3/16 bits can be bent slightly to reach some places. I know it sounds strange but try it.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point.... never thought about trying a very long bit. I think a 12" bit would work for the pedal cluster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although neither cordless or pneumatic I originally got this Makita right angle drill to use during a construction project but it has seen much more car building use over the years. It is so ergonomically friendly that I often find myself using it even when space isn't an issue:

Makita USA - Tool Details - DA3010F

Cheers,
    Jeff[

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a cordless craftsman without a battery. It fits the same batteries as my regular drill(s) and my weedwacker. The only spot it wouldn't fit was then I tried to put a rivet too close to a joint on the frame where the tubes met at an angle. Most riveters wouldn't fit in that same space anyways.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Although neither cordless or pneumatic I originally got this Makita right angle drill to use during a construction project but it has seen much more car building use over the years. It is so ergonomically friendly that I often find myself using it even when space isn't an issue:

[
    I have the cordless on from Makita, only issue is that it's hard to keep a slow speed, but overall it is a great drill
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a tool with a hex drive that the won't work because the bits are too short, chuck a bit holder in as an extension.

Post Thanks / Like
    I often use a flexible hex to hex extension. For smaller bits it works well in a lot of situations where precision is not required. I swear by Milwaukee tools...

Post Thanks / Like
    I use porter cable drill and impact. They have a good price and good build and you get two batteries and the drill. I havent found anything yet where you need an angled drill on the 818. I also have a cheap air drill from HF that works good for rivits.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I finally picked up the HF pneumatic angle drill today. I had to drive a ways out of town to get it since my local store has been out of stock for weeks. Between that and using a regular drill with 12" long bits as someone else suggested, I should be covered. That is, until I need to drill a hole through some floor joists in my house

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I havent found anything yet where you need an angled drill on the 818.
    There's plenty. Here's the tightest spot I've found so far (rear fiberglass to side):

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    There's plenty.
    Including some of the lower firewall pieces in the front. There is no way you are getting in there with a regular drill.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a pneumatic angle drill that I have used maybe once but I got a 90 degree attachment for my variable 3/8 inch drill that I have used numerous times on my roadster. What I have found after getting used to the floppy nature of the contraption is that it's like using two separate tools that are working together. So I started treating it that way from the start. I've found that placing the attachment squarely and then getting the drill in the most comfortable position worked perfectly (like a universal). It's rare that it does not fit into the confined area. The only thing I've had to do differently is to shorten drill bits on occasion but that's probably the case with the angled drills too. Don't use it that much but when needed it's a life saver. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    There's plenty. Here's the tightest spot I've found so far (rear fiberglass to side):

I have not got that far yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamie, That Dewalt tool looks like a toy. Is it worth buying? I am only talking about whether it can drill holes for rivets and have enough power to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an angle adapter for a regular drill, very usefull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    the dewalt tool is very good impact rated the only draw back is it uses hex head bits

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hex bits are a bit of a drawback but for anyone looking: Harbor freight sells a set of standard length hex head bits in a pretty good variety for under $8. I'm sure they won't last super long but if treated properly, they should hold up just fine for the occasional spots where an angle drill is needed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/titaniu...-pc-61621.html

Post Thanks / Like
    As I've said, I am a big Milwaukee tools fanboy. They have hex bits that I've used over and over.
    Habour Freight may say "Titanium Nitride Coated High Speed Steel Drill Bit" but I'd put Milwaukee's up against them.
    I do appreciate your input. Not trying to diss you. I have lots of HF crap.