Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post Cool Parts Others May Not Be Aware Of:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    Yes, which is great as long as the race is very short. As soon as the water reaches ambient all benefit is gone and now you're just carrying mass around and trying to dump all that heat energy to the air faster than you can load it up. Also, if you ice up your water tank below ambient and you don't have a thermostat, you're absorbing atmospheric air heat AND your charge air heat before you even load the engine!

heat capacity of air at approximate turbo discharge temp/pressure of 140°C and 2 bar is about 1.01 kJ/kg-K
    mass airflow of an engine at WOT - let's just call it 0.200 kg/s which should be plenty to make ~300hp.

22.725kJ/s

Really roughing it, no integration, assuming 100% efficiency, neglecting pumping losses, heat exchanger transfer modes and all that you'll raise the temperature of the water about 1°F per second of WOT load assuming you have a 3 gallon water capacity.

If you're going to be an autocross hero, or just blast a couple on-ramps on your way to work it could function beautifully. Open track half-hour heat, I'm not so sure. Read about the heat soak problems the LS9 is having and see if the whole air-water thing still sounds good for anything longer than a few miles of hard driving.

You do know that there is a radiator at the front transferring heat in an air to water scenario right?
    Just do you research online and in current applications and see for yourself.

There are pro's and cons to both and in this 818 application (where the airflow to the intercooler is in question) water to air has a few pro's on its side.
    Let's not go on and on here about what's better as its just a foolish argument. They both have their applications and in different scenarios one will have benefits the other hasn't.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another interesting part.

One of the upgrades I am planning for my 818 is a pedal set with a balance beam and adjuster. The 818R has a Wilwood pedal set, though if you watch carefully halfway from the track test video the adjuster knob was removed from the dash (curious). This lets you dial the front rear bias for street and for track. Whatever the WRX bias is is likely not right for the 818. I like to think of the 818 as a "Plated Racecar."

Wilwood Brake Pedal Balance Bar.gif

Wilwood Front Rear Bias Adjuster 340-4990-lg.jpg

Here is a link: http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPedalTip.aspx

Cheers!
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 04-08-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood also makes a lever that would adjust the rear brake only if you were using stock pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    did some searching and found these

Camry Headlights

Nice option to have instead of the stock headlights

Post Thanks / Like
    Those do look nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    They look very similar to eBay headlights that are half the price. I wonder if there is a quality difference to justify the price?

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what headlight FF will choose, I imagine it will be cheaper to pick an aftermarket DOT approved lamp than an OEM. maybe we'll get some decent looking projectors that are not too ricey.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an observation, but this thread is going to get pretty bulky in a hurry if every time someone posts a "cool part" there 10 "oooooh that looks pretty" or "my dad has that on his car" comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    Here is another interesting part.

One of the upgrades I am planning for my 818 is a pedal set with a balance beam and adjuster. The 818R has a Wilwood pedal set, though if you watch carefully halfway from the track test video the adjuster knob was removed from the dash (curious). This lets you dial the front rear bias for street and for track. Whatever the WRX bias is is likely not right for the 818. I like to think of the 818 as a "Plated Racecar."

Wilwood Brake Pedal Balance Bar.gif

Wilwood Front Rear Bias Adjuster 340-4990-lg.jpg

Here is a link: http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPedalTip.aspx

Cheers!
    Has anyone here had a lot of luck with the wilwood driver adjustable bias? We ran one on a small formula car years ago and it never worked very well.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use wilwood's pedal or one you made yourself? The inside of the pedal needs to be smooth to allow the bearing to slide freely.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Grimmspeed Intercooler/Splitter/Y-Pipe Just released for 02-07 WRX/STI... been waiting for this one for a while. A truly engineered IC made in the USA for a fair price.

Have already ordered mine. Group buy right now at a significant savings.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1#post39796328

966162_10152791961510567_258281192_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up, think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the group buy for the intercooler and y-pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember if the 818 will use the Impreza steering column and wheel, but if it does...AND if people want to keep the standard steering wheel hub/horn/air bag/cruise control but want a smaller and grippier wheel, then the Prova D-shaped wheel rim replacements are great:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Prov...-STI-2005-2007

I originally had a stock 2005 STi steering wheel on the Murtaya, and while it felt fine in an Impreza interior, it was way too big for a smaller car like the Murtaya. The Prova D shaped wheel completely changes the character of the car--it feels sporty and great (even though I didn't really like the thought of Alcantera on the wheel) and is perfect for the smaller dimensions.

The downside is the price, but I know it was well worth it for me.

Mike
    Last edited by Hiryu; 05-20-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is pretty cool that you are able to replace the rim and maintain the airbag and mounting points. But will the airbag even work? I thought without all the fancy sensors built into the car that it wouldn't work. I may be incorrect on that assumption though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the 'keeping the airbag' bonus is more for people using this on the standard Imprezas. I'd be surprised if the airbag would still work in the 818. Even if it could still deploy, I probably wouldn't want it to; the different dimensions and specs of the car from what the airbags were initially developed for might make it more dangerous than helpful (I made sure it was disabled on the Murtaya for that reason).

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the Shorai sport bike lithium batteries?
    The LFX27L3 has 405 CCA, about the same as standard, carbon case, weighs about 4lb, and is $250 on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://autoplicity.com/products/2367...FWSCQgod1FEAmA

83mm stroke crankshaft..... i've done the calculations and this puts an EJ22 with 25 stock length rods and stroker pistons at roughly a 10:1 (gasket depending) and 2478cc displacement. NICE.

OH and it takes both 3 and 5 position thrust bearings, so no worries for those with phase 1, phase 2, or machined phase 1. (meaning you can run TWO thrust bearings, though i don't know why you'd want to)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    New Aim Sports Steering wheel!

1017517_10151488904627115_317881998_n.jpg

$1600!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't buy the billet radiator mounts posted in this thread. The 818 mounts the radiator a little differently and you won't be able to use them. Just a little FYI.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Are new radiator brackets provided, or do you still need the stock ones? My donor's radiator and everything near it was totally demolished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use modified stockers.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool those stay on the "To buy" list.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR has a "New school 818" t-shirt in their parts catalog. Out of stock for now, though the picture is there. Very cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    apr_naca_020825_3_lg.jpg

APR carbon fiber NACA ducts, I may use these for my front brakes. about $100 each

Post Thanks / Like
    2014-02-17_1412.png

PLX Multi Gauge ( OLED ) and Wideband O2 sensor+module. PLX has quite a few modules which you can daisy chain to a single gauge. My 818s build will have an Electromotive TECs ECU so I am planning on hooking up the following sensor modules to a multi gauge: wideband AFR, air intake temp, vacuum/boost, EGT, oil pressure, water temp. As far as I know all of the modules will accept the signal from the associated sensor and provides an analog output to go to your ECU from there. The gauge also features programmable warnings. Does anybody have experience with their gauges or sensor modules?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    FFR has a "New school 818" t-shirt in their parts catalog. Out of stock for now, though the picture is there. Very cool
    They should include one in each build !
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Bring it back to the top

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey fellas. I have yet to post here but wanted to share these guys with ya

http://tssfab.us/wp/

dunno if any of ya are aware of em but they are ggod folk and will gladly fab things special for ya if ya need 'em.

Just a quick intro, I am a hardcore Subie guy, this is my daily driver...
    993470_10202313226647422_1308841725_n.jpg
    in snow trim. It's a fully caged, JVAB/ Bilstein suspended little beast. I am vacillating on whether to build one of these and am vicariously following all of yer builds. If I do jump in I already have SOHC Hybrid that makes silly numbers and will most likely have TSS make me some LCAs among other bits. Just thought I would share their website and maybe see if it gave any of ya any ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    product-5783.jpg

Radium fuel rails. use optional inrail pusation dampeners, made in usa, great price.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Top-Feed-F...baru-P631.aspx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123