Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Charcoal Canister?

Post Thanks / Like

Charcoal Canister?

Wondering what the the forum readers think about a charcoal canister of some sort to capture any fuel vapors off the vent line? Is this necessary? If so, what models work well? Thanks!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, use one. you can make one with charcol from a fish tank or use something as simple as an inexspensive inline fuel filter. If you buy the glass inline fuel filter you can put the charchol in it and use that......Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictorial of my homebrewed charcoal cannister constructed using barbed fittings, PVC pipe & bushings, a couple of discs cut from loosely woven Scotchbrite and a mesh bagged aquarium filter cartrige:

Used it on two builds and about to do it on another---no fuel odors (and believe me if there were my wife would let me hear about every time she walked into the garage!).

Cheers,
    Jeff

4. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steven and Jeff...I appreciate your help!

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea ,pretty slick!!

Post Thanks / Like

Results are in...

This worked great, about $15 and no gas odor at all! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike6568 View Post
    Thanks Steven and Jeff...I appreciate your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that there is fuel in my boyd tank I am noticing this same issue... So is my wife

Before I rush out to the hardware store, has anyone come up with another suggestion? How often does the charcoal get saturated and need replacing? With the 33 a rig like this would sit lower than the filler... Is that an issue with condensing fuel blocking the line?
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    hi nick, I have the boyd tank also , I installed a vapor canister off of ebay seems to be working great no gas smell in garage at all. I,m not sure if I need a purge sol.on it since im running a coyote eng. but so far so good. I mounted it where the ffr battery would go.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you have one line leading down to it I assume. Does it allow the tank to vent? Mine is a carb car and no ECM so no emissions code issues. My only concern is allowing tank to breath and blocking the smell.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that's correct one line coming off tank to single port on canister. I found the part number - it is Standard # cp2016 I don't see why u could'nt make your own but this seemed like an easy stock way of doing it . Its been cold in jersey so garage has been shut down/ has about six gallons of fuel in tank and I don't smell any gas, my wife would have definitely told me otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I had to search no further than my own parts dept. 2013 dodge journey fuel vent filter. About 2" diameter x 4". Integrated mount. 3/8 inlet. Activated charcoal center. Made for the job.

Thanks all
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdnik View Post
    Well I had to search no further than my own parts dept. 2013 dodge journey fuel vent filter. About 2" diameter x 4". Integrated mount. 3/8 inlet. Activated charcoal center. Made for the job. Thanks all
    Can you provide an exact part number please?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

14. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, It sounds like it will do the trick Does dodge have a life expectancy on one of those vents?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Can you provide an exact part number please?
    Sorry my bad. It's a 5/8 inlet so I need to step hose down. Took off the bent hard plastic line it comes with. Here's the part number and a pic.

As for longevity, we don't do many on warranty so that means at least 3 years. One thing... My technicians tell me they can get soaked if a person over fills their Journey gas tank as the are mounted beside the tank horizontally. That's when they can flip a code and the check engine light come on. Not a worry in this application as the vent is on top.

I attached it temporarily and it's working like a charm. No smell in the garage today!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hdnik; 02-07-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    FFCars - lowntubd

17. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used one from an aquarium on my cobra. Came in a pack of two and I still have the 2nd one in my freezer after 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whittaker View Post
    I used one from an aquarium on my cobra. Came in a pack of two and I still have the 2nd one in my freezer after 5 years.
    Tim check your email, sent you an order for when you get back.
    thanks Nick
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed when my canister is saturated with fuel smell the odor comes back. Have you guys experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like
    My son who works at KIA and found a small charcoal canister that he will be modifying so we can use it as our charcoal canister. Once installed I will take some pics and post it here and on my build page.
    20200601_085107[1].jpg
    Last edited by AJT '33; 06-02-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

22. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    I noticed when my canister is saturated with fuel smell the odor comes back. Have you guys experienced this?
    How many miles on the vehicle? I noticed an increase in the smell of fuel after about 2000 miles on my homemade canister. I have since replaced the charcoal filters inside and driven for another 500 miles with no smell.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking that if one wanted a really elegant (albeit more expensive) solution that it might be possible to use a billet remote master cylinder reservoir for this purpose. The idea being that the screw on top would allow for easy replacement of the activated charcoal. It would be necessary to vent the cap though. This could be done by drilling a tiny hole in it or installing one of these check valve caps meant for motorcycles.

vents.jpg

25. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    How many miles on the vehicle? I noticed an increase in the smell of fuel after about 2000 miles on my homemade canister. I have since replaced the charcoal filters inside and driven for another 500 miles with no smell.
    0 miles driven. I fired up my Coupe without the O2 sensor in and it might be coming from the intake manifold because it ran so rich... the smell has been going away over the past couple days so i am thinking that’s the issue. But I suspect that a full EVAP system couldn’t hurt I just can’t find someone who knows how to build one from scratch or let’s put it adapt it to my car though I’m certain a fox body mustang must of had an EVAP system I’m just not proficient enough in car knowledge to know how that translates to my build. I am great at following directions and copying but not great at inviting things from scratch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    0 miles driven. I fired up my Coupe without the O2 sensor in and it might be coming from the intake manifold because it ran so rich... the smell has been going away over the past couple days so i am thinking that’s the issue. But I suspect that a full EVAP system couldn’t hurt I just can’t find someone who knows how to build one from scratch or let’s put it adapt it to my car though I’m certain a fox body mustang must of had an EVAP system I’m just not proficient enough in car knowledge to know how that translates to my build. I am great at following directions and copying but not great at inviting things from scratch
    I would suggest your strong smell is coming from somewhere besides the tank vent hose where the charcoal filter is located. Based on your description, sounds like you know what that is. I've used the homemade version of a charcoal evap filter like shown in this post. I've never had a gasoline smell in the garage. That's over a 10 year period and many thousand miles of driving. Now my testing isn't perfect. I've heard from some that do nothing and also don't get the gasoline smell. Also from others that use the charcoal filter and still get some odor. So hard to predict where you'll come out, other than to share my own experience. What I can tell you is you can't 100% duplicate an OE setup. They use an evap control valve, located in various places depending on the car, that is controlled by the ECU. It opens and closes the vent and uses engine vacuum to route the vapor back into the intake. It's a closed system as opposed to this setup which is using the charcoal to scrub the vent line before going to atmosphere. As such at some point the charcoal may get saturated and need to be replaced.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a canister from Amazon that would mount below the fuel tank, then plumbed the tank vent to the inlet. I ran a 1/4 inch line from the canister outlet to the purge valve on the engine. My LS came with the purge valve but no provision in the harness, so I brought an ignition accessory circuit to the engine and put a programmable micro timer in the circuit. 2009-11-23_172028_1.gifIMG_1049.JPGIMG_0090.JPGWhen the engine is started the purge valve is energized for 1.5 minutes.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

29. Thanks MonstaS4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I bought a canister from Amazon that would mount below the fuel tank, then plumbed the tank vent to the inlet. I ran a 1/4 inch line from the canister outlet to the purge valve on the engine. My LS came with the purge valve but no provision in the harness, so I brought an ignition accessory circuit to the engine and put a programmable micro timer in the circuit. 2009-11-23_172028_1.gifIMG_1049.JPGIMG_0090.JPGWhen the engine is started the purge valve is energized for 1.5 minutes.
    Thats a great solution! I'm in the same boat. The engineer i'm using to certify the build wants to see that all emission controls on the motor are retained. While there was no provision in the harness for the purge valve, I contacted GMPP to see if the purge control logic was in the ECM hoping that I could just add wiring - answer was no.
    My plan was to run wiring to the valve and plumb it to the canister, but leave the wiring unterminated inside the loom. At a glance, it would all look OK and pass inspection - who's going to check actual operation of the valve?

After reading the above about saturated carbon canisters, maybe I should rig up a 'HVACMAN' solution.

31. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Yamaha YP400 Majesty 400 Charcoal canister on my 818. Very compact and does the job. You can get them used on ebay for $20.

Post Thanks / Like
    My roadster was built as a partial donor build from a 95 Mustang. The charcoal canister and purge solenoid valve were some of the parts I used. I wired my purge valve through a relay off the brake light circuit. If the ignition is on, and the brakes applied the valve will open. I put a restriction in the line between the valve and the manifold to reduce the air flow and help maintain a tune at idle. Never noticed a idle change between brakes on or off when I had a carb. With the Holley Sniper unit I have installed now the idle stays steady but the IAC goes from 7% to 5% when the brakes are activated. No gas smell in the garage and no need to replace the charcoal.
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

34. Likes HVACMAN liked this post