Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any reason to not use a Forester XT 2.5 as a donor?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any reason to not use a Forester XT 2.5 as a donor?

I'd use the engine, trans, spindles, rack, control arms and with the money saved over a WRX donor get any brakes I want.
    Any downsides to this plan?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont seem why not same engine as the 06-07 wrx and if the trans is the same dimentions i would use it over the wrx has thicker gears so a little stronger same goes for 05+ legacy gt's
    Last edited by philly15; 11-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do these have the aluminum control arms on them? What about the ECU's - does anyone know if they are mapped the same? Same ratios in the gearbox?

It's sounding like an interesting angle!

Post Thanks / Like
    This has me wondering if it would be cheaper to look at other ways to source donor parts. For you Subaru tech guys out there, all of us non Subaru people need a spreadsheet on how to source parts. My thinking is that it should read something like this:

Part ------------------------- Model available from---------------- Year available from------------------- Pros and Cons if used

Turbo Engine--------------------WRX--------------------------------02-07------------------------------06 is better year due to higher torque numbers

Hopefully you get the thought process here. Now the challenge. Who can put this together???
    Last edited by NicksPapaw; 11-19-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I forget who was doing it but somebody already started that spreadsheet.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Forester will have small dimensinal differences in the suspension arms and links. The adjustability built into the suspension for alignment purposes by FFR should cover the differences in Forester parts.

The steering linkage to the rack might be a bit longer, or the rack input itself might be a bit taller, because the front crossmember is "dropped" about 1" compared to an Impreza (Subarus version of a factory lift kit).

Should make a fine donor if your capable of "winging it" on a few small items that may crop up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksPapaw View Post
    This has me wondering if it would be cheaper to look at other ways to source donor parts. For you Subaru tech guys out there, all of us non Subaru people need a spreadsheet on how to source parts. My thinking is that it should read something like this:

Part ------------------------- Model available from---------------- Year available from------------------- Pros and Cons if used

Turbo Engine--------------------WRX--------------------------------02-07------------------------------06 is better year due to higher torque numbers

Hopefully you get the thought process here. Now the challenge. Who can put this together???
    Already in progress, though I haven't gotten a lot of the information gathered yet...

Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...0701#post80701

Document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...JSXctN2c#gid=2

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I forget who was doing it but somebody already started that spreadsheet.
    That would be me.

Post Thanks / Like
    just paid for my 2005 Forester XT 2.5 turbo - its auto though but only 26k already kinda take apart ... it was local too - i got lucky

i am in this thread for info about differences - i hope to sell the auto transmission -

Post Thanks / Like
    Xusia, have we told you lately collectively how much we love you??? I believe that spreadsheet will make a HUGE difference in how we source donor parts. Thanks for starting the process.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    You're absolutely welcome! I think/hope it will be a good resource for those not intimately familiar with Subarus.

Again, if anyone with Subaru knowledge wants edit access, PM me your email address so I can grant you access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question for you all,

if I use a 2004 Forester XT and according to Xusia spreadsheet the Front Lower Control Arms rear bushings are not compatible how do I fix this?
    Can this be fixed my buying some Aluminum WRX LCA w/ there bushings?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, buy the aluminum arms w bushings
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a 04 forester XT.
    No show stoppers found.
    I think you can actually use the forester LCA Bushing if you add some spacers like they do on the 818R.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 06-07-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what i did. I bought a forester for a song and bought new aluminum lca's from Wayne. I am at the point of researching the H6 rear brake upgrade as well as other brake choices. I have an auto trans for sale too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mean to bump from the dead, but according to the document linked by Xusia, the only issues with using a '04-'08 Forestor XT are:

1) The Front Lower Control Arms rear bushings are not compatible. One will need to purchase WRX LCA's with the bushings.

2) The steering rack is undesirable relative to the WRX's rack due to the variable ratio.

Other than that, it seems the manual tranny and turbo motor plus other necessary components slap in just fine. With the additional ~$2k one saves from going with the Forestor, purchasing a WRX steering rack, LCA and brakes is trivial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
    I don't mean to bump from the dead, but according to the document linked by Xusia, the only issues with using a '04-'08 Forestor XT are:

1) The Front Lower Control Arms rear bushings are not compatible. One will need to purchase WRX LCA's with the bushings.

2) The steering rack is undesirable relative to the WRX's rack due to the variable ratio.

Other than that, it seems the manual tranny and turbo motor plus other necessary components slap in just fine. With the additional ~$2k one saves from going with the Forestor, purchasing a WRX steering rack, LCA and brakes is trivial.
    1) you only need the bushings. The forester LCA are the same as WRX sedans.
    2) My 04 forester XT steering rack is the same as WRX.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to throw out two quick things about the Forester XT.

For 2004 and 2005, the Forester XT engine is the same as the STI engine, right down the the heads and cams. The ECU is just de-tuned because of the smaller intercooler and turbo. So if you get the car tuned, there is a lot of potential there. In 2006, the Forester went to the same version of the EJ255 as the WRX, so there are some differences between the STI at that point.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the 5MT in the Forester XT is basically identical to the WRX, but it has a different final drive. It has a 4.44 in the 04 - 08, and the clutch changed from a pull style to a push style in 2006.

The gears are also the same as the WRX for all years up to 2007. In 2008 the WRX got the LGT ratios, and the Forester XT did not.

Hope that helps!
    www.flatironstuning.com

Your source for any Subaru parts that you may need to build your 818 from engine parts to gear sets, etc. We have what you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatironsTuning View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the 5MT in the Forester XT is basically identical to the WRX, but it has a different final drive. It has a 4.44 in the 04 - 08...
    The WRX front final drive is 3.9, correct? The WRX version seems preferable for highway cruising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boog View Post
    The WRX front final drive is 3.9, correct? The WRX version seems preferable for highway cruising.
    From 2002 - 2005 the WRX fr drive is 3.9. In 2006 - 2007 it went 3.7. Then in 2008+ it went back to 3.9.

The 4.44 is a little on the short side. This would definitely be something to consider with this transmission, but if you are putting in a front differential, replacing the front ring and pinion gear would be very little extra work, and then you can have any final drive that you like (within reason of course).
    www.flatironstuning.com

Your source for any Subaru parts that you may need to build your 818 from engine parts to gear sets, etc. We have what you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using an 04 FXT as my donor. I'm going to source aluminum lower control arms and a wrx steering rack because the one in the forester is variable. Might get some bigger brakes, and I'm on the fence about whether to source a wrx speedo or just modify the dash for the one from the fxt.

The 4.44 FD and STI block were the big selling points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by projectrally View Post
    I'm using an 04 FXT as my donor. I'm going to source aluminum lower control arms and a wrx steering rack because the one in the forester is variable. Might get some bigger brakes, and I'm on the fence about whether to source a wrx speedo or just modify the dash for the one from the fxt.

The 4.44 FD and STI block were the big selling points.
    Hi Projectrally
    I also have an 04 FXT donor.
    The specs on my steering say nothing about a variable rate.
    steering.jpg
    Even if it was the variable rack, I would still use it.
    Mine had an automatic in it. So I changed to an 5MT with a 3.90 FD.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an extra set of bushings. Anyone wants them let me know.....PM me.
    One of my LCA's was damaged on the 02 donor and I went and bought the new aluminum arms for $310 for the pair including all the new bushings etc. from SPT.
    I'm looking for two front inner CV joints if any one has any.