Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How tall are you?

Post Thanks / Like

How tall are you?

Good afternoon guys,

As days progress, I have been extremely tempted to pull trigger and purchase a GTM kit. Standing at the height of 6'6", I fit comfortably in my 750hp Procharged 6.0L C5 even with a helmet on. Are there any GTM owners here that are a similar height? Do you fit well? I know the FAQ section said the car would fit an occupant up to 6'3"...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you find someone in your area who has a GTM and will let you sit in it. That said, there are ways to accomodate taller drivers.

Seats can be mounted right on the floorpan.

There is one build that lowered the floorpan under the seat. I think when he did this he was planning to set the suspension at a higher ride height to compensate.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3". I believe you are going to have a VERY hard time building a GTM that will fit a 6'6" driver. No doubt it can be done, but it won't be a standard build.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a gentleman in Grand Rapids, Michigan that has a GTM. Ill have to contact him and see if I can sit in it to see how I would fit. Im sure some modifications could be made to accommodate my height, but I wouldn't want to absolutely chop it up.

Do the seats sit on the floor or are the brackets pretty tall?

Thanks for the input!

This is Ty's car, he used a GM C5 Transaxle.

312.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the F5 open house and was able to sit in the yellow Gen 2 GTM that belongs to F5..My wife said that she would want me to build one next..Well after she sat in it, she did not like it at all..She is 5'9..I sat in the car and I am 6 foot and 225 muscular build..It was a tight squeeze for me..Plus I did not like that I sat so "high" in the car..My eye level was almost at the roof line..My recommendation to you would be to take a trip down to F5 and sit in the car BEFORE you put your hard earned cash down..JMO

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6 ft 210 lbs not so muscular. I inset the set brackets up into the seat. So the seat is on the floor. Head room is OK once in the car but I know how much harder it is to get in and out of the car with a helmet on. I can't imagine being 6" taller and doing it. I would definitely find one to try first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the seat sits right on the floor pan. I'm 6'2" and I can sit very comfortably in the GTM, but IMO, 6'6" is going to be a real challenge......especially if most of your height is in your torso. I would say no chance at all of wearing a helmet for you.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    This discussion would be more productive at determining the upper limit of standard configuration car driver fitment if we discussed driver torso measurement as raised by Shane.
    You can cheat to some extent by applying more seat angle but you start to run out of leg room real quick.
    I will post my measurements tomorrow along with my seat angle.
    I am 6'2" with a and depending on out body ratio 6'6" is going to require some creativity.
    Last edited by Fraser D; 11-23-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Maby this seat can help. I am sure you can mount this lower than the FFR supplied seats. And there is less material in the seat.
    But it does have its cons! Like price and no one has ever tested the B5 in a GTM to see if it fits. But I think it will becuase someone did fit a B6 in a GTM and its a bigger seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    We're making several changes to accommodate 2 6' drivers my uncle who is 6'8" is not even in the equation. Its questionable weather he will be able to ride in the passenger seat for more than even a short trip.

Changes so far include removing sheet metal skin on the tunnel and notching the seat itself to move it as far inboard as possible without shoulder/water pump issues. Modifying both sides of the foot box outboard so that your clutch foot is not on the slide into the pedals in any position route and interior to allow for a vertical foot on the throttle. The later requires going over a structural floor bar so we are leveling the floor pan and raising the pedals as needed. To follow will be cutting out the forward section of the tunnel to reposition the shifter in a more desired location.

Diminishing the tunnel area was the motivation to figure out how to move the coolant lines outboard ala PDG (thanks) and adding in the halo v and matching engine bay v JCH developed.

Build thread/photos to follow at some point I promise. Having my 4th acl put in at some point in the near future maybe that will park me at a PC long enough to get on it.

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3", and can fit into the GTM, however with a helmet on my head hits the roll cage and roof. I do not know if you would fit even with modifications to the seat or possible roof modifications. Anything is possible, but I would think it would take quite a few modifications before you could fit in it comfortably. Your torso/inseam measurements make a big difference in a a car like the GTM as there is more room for your legs than there is for your torso, trying to find a GTM locally for you to try and fit in would give you a basis as to where and what might need to be modified to fit you.

Dan@FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    PorscheKiller-

I am by no means an expert, but do have a thought that you may find worth considering. You may have seen some of the GTM's that some folks have put an intake right in the center of the roofline. Well, I am thinking in the same ballpark, just a different section.

What if you put a "bubble" on either side of centerline to provide the headroom you need? It would take some fiberglass work clearly, but nothing that couldn't be solved with some creativity. It could blend nicely into the overall style of the body, and perhaps even add a bit of extra styling cues for you. I would do both sides for balance, and in case you ever let someone else drive, and you are in the right side... ;-o) I don't think it would be out of place, nor awkward.

Well, that's all I have to offer because anything else and you may think me a crackpot!! Please take my advice in the way it was intended; just trying to help solve a problem! Best of luck in your decision!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    PorscheKiller-
    What if you put a "bubble" on either side of centerline to provide the headroom you need? It would take some fiberglass work clearly, but nothing that couldn't be solved with some creativity. It could blend nicely into the overall style of the body, and perhaps even add a bit of extra styling cues for you. I would do both sides for balance, and in case you ever let someone else drive, and you are in the right side... ;-o) I don't think it would be out of place, nor awkward.
    Had the same thought line while trying different mounts. the downside to a "Gurney" bubble is you wind up losing so much visible area when you elevate your head. The halo/roof line really starts coming into play.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what all the hassle is? Just add this to the driver's side roof:

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-German-TV%22

The driver on the video on this thread is 6' 5"