Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor -'06 WRX w/ 44170 mi, to sell Monday 11/19/12, w/ rear end - IMO best I've seen

Post Thanks / Like

Donor -'06 WRX w/ 44170 mi, to sell Monday 11/19/12, w/ rear end - IMO best I've seen

Guys,

I found this Donor -'06 WRX w/ 44,170 miles, to sell Monday 11/19/12, w/ rear end damage :
    https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...0&RowNumber=15

To me it has most I one would want from a donor. As I can't do this at this time else I would not be mentioning it ...

Since you will need a broker look at:
    https://www.iaai.com/Services/BrokerSearch.aspx
    You will find brokers with $0 registration & $150 transaction fee.

Happy hunting

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Aftermarket parts I can see:

Water temp probe in upper radiator coolant hose
    Red Stitched shift boot
    JDM Red hazard button switch (USDM is silver)
    Black painted interior plastics
    Catback (can't tell if it has a downpipe)
    Wheels
    Painted front lip

This looks like it was a limited (leather seats and sunroof). Doesn't like like it was heavily modded at all (mostly cosmetic).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good to me. I would buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would too. Unfortunately that one will go for a premium...

Post Thanks / Like

How much did it sell for?

Curious to know the final price, if anyone, who is registered with IAA watched the auction.

Post Thanks / Like

Sold today

I arrived too late to see the actual bidding. The when the pre-bidding ended it was at $5,675 with 10 bidders in the action.

John

Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    Curious to know the final price, if anyone, who is registered with IAA watched the auction.
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be in line with what I observed when I was shopping for my donor

That's why I expanded my oprions and I was happy to get my 05 roll over for $3500 delivered

Post Thanks / Like
    It might've gone for more than other 06 wrx because it had the leather interior.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been watching some auctions for a while now, and one thing I've noticed that may help others: The lower the listed "Repair Cost" is relative to the ACV, the more it will sell for. If you can find a car where the values are close - or better yet, the Repair Cost exceeds the ACV - then it will go for a lot less. I've followed two auctions using this strategy to pick donors (both 2002 models, with around 100K miles) and in both cases the cars went for LESS than $2500. One went for a paltry $1900. Granted, some needed parts will probably be damaged and need replaced with this scenario, but getting the car cheap more than offsets that IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    My car went for $1700 plus shipping and fees. too bad it was in Michigan not Maine. Roll over, repair over ACV, 2005, 70,000 miles I had to replace Left LCA, Rack, Front Wheel, both rear lower transverse links, left front wheel bearings. Dropped off transaxle for Quaife install today! Should have open diff and center diff to sell on ebay next week! :-) Both front airbags were deployed. All other donor parts just fine, twas one ugly car! Copart... Still expect to get about $1500 out of re-sold parts!

05 impreza 7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty good. I've been looking only in OR, WA, and CA because I can drive down and get it myself, saving a ton in shipping. If that price is normal, I may have to expand my geographic confines...

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured that it was worth it vs the actual cost to drive and pick it up between gas and tolls, hotel costs. Shortest way was through Canada, twice each way... customs would have been a bear I think. It came by the 100 mile longer southern route. Took a month to get here, delays in pickup, shipping company had a truck break down in NJ and time didn't matter to me at the time.

I wasn't expecting to win it at that price but roll overs are obviously not going to be rebuilt, they are bought for parts, not a ton of interest. I didn't want to desire to rebuild the motor and I would have done that for much over 100,000 miles. And being an engineer, I consider EVERYTHING is worn by mileage... so a high mileage car needs new bearings, bushings etc... everywhere. I wanted more reliability and planned on a relatively stock drivetrain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good strategy. At this point, I figure I've got a year, so time is on my side, but based on what you are saying I think I am going to start looking at other states - especially the midwestern ones (where they get more snow, and AWD vehicles are probably more prevalent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I trolled the Copart and Aiia (??? whatever) websites, paid membership in copart and put a deposit to bid up to $4000... My car was the second one that I bid on. I missed out on an 06 in PA a couple weeks earlier w/computer issues, my setup burped and I never even saw what the damaged 06 went for but pre bidding was approaching my self imposed $4000 limit. Can't hurt to look all over. Copart gives you a worst case shipping price on the bottom of the screen...