Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: zero clearance seat adjustability

Post Thanks / Like

zero clearance seat adjustability

I'm working on solution for seat positioning for taller drivers, in very small cars. I built a MkI in 1996, might have been #108???? The biggest gripe was due to my height, I had to affix the seat directly to the floor, and nobody else could drive it. I've acquired all of my donor parts to build an FIA car, should it get released, and I'm going over build refinements. I have come up with a solution to seat positioning in smaller cars, offering practical adjustability, and it will work with the current model roadster seat. It looks like I'll be filing a patent app for the idea, but just wanted to get a feel for the need. Is this still an issue, or have some proven methods been used that offer adjustability?

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, this idea keeps the seat directly on the floor, but offers adjustability.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still in the middle of my build, but the solutions seem to be replace the seats with Kirkeys or vintage racing seats with thinner padding. I've driven one with the vintage seats with it raised an inch or so off the floor. I'm 6'3" and though close, I could view through the windshield. Lower seating would allow for more tailoring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone who has built a MKI and MKIV tell me if the original roadster seats (fiberglass roadster style) are shorter than the newer metal frame seats?

Also, has any of the 6'2"+ drivers tried the Breeze product with success?
    Last edited by brianstrange; 12-02-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The MK1 seats are shorter than the new ones. I have MK1 and and replaced the seats they cut me just under the shoulder blades. helped an owner of a MK2 install the newer MK4 seats and they were taller. Much nicer than the old MK1.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You could bring the new seats to a shop and have them shave down the padding and recover it (might be easy enough to do at home too).

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the idea of shaving the new seats down. I'm 6'4" and have a MKI. I replaced the old seats with the new ones from FFR due to the higher back support. My vision is about 1" below the windshield frame. I reversed my sun visor mounts to raise them up one inch to keep them out of my vision. I sat in an earlier MKI yesterday and it felt like I was sitting in a whole. Big difference from my newer seats. FYI, I have an adjustable seat slide.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'4 and have an MKIV and have no issue with the seats that came in the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd really like to try to keep this on topic. The OP is asking about an issue. I understand many people have no issue fitting into these cars. I myself was able to make it work, but only if the seat was non adjustable. The question / post is specific to those who are larger/ taller driver that also want seat adjustability. Shaving seats and buying racing seats are options, but I'm looking at a simple bolt in solution that eliminates fabrication and complicated ideas, while offering seat adjustability. Have any tall drivers purchased and installed the Breeze seat brackets with success?