Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote Competition Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't know which ratio is best. Past experience with the challenge cars showed us running out of rpm at the end of long straights with 3.27 gears and no useful 5th gear, that with the factory rev limiters at 6200 rpm. Using a similar tire size, the 3.31 gears and 1500 more useful Rpm should be a big benefit.
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank! Looking forward to bringing her down to Huntington Beach this spring for the big FFR West Coast Weekend.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

You'll be good shifting at 7500 with 3.31 gears We put a TKO600 with .82 in FFR#85 (3.27 gears) and I actually had to use 5th at Watkins Glen on the back straight! Such a weird motion going from 4th to 5th, I think my shift took over 2 seconds to make sure I did it right, but hope you dont have to use 5th with that high of a red-line.

Will you run a G2X? I believe Racepak make an OBD2 connection to the data logger that will grab all of the ECU data, a real nice to have.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind the new 6 speed is an odd duck. It's a 6 speed with only 1 overdrive. And the overdrive it does have is deep. The 2011+ Mustang MT82 ratios are:

1st 3.66
    2nd 2.43
    3rd 1.69
    4th 1.32
    5th 1.00
    6th 0.65

The cars come standard with a 3.31 ratio. But 3.55 and 3.73 are optional. Also note that the 17" halibrand tire sizes are about 5% smaller than the stock Ford rubber.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoon View Post
    Thanks Frank! Looking forward to bringing her down to Huntington Beach this spring for the big FFR West Coast Weekend.
    We're looking forward to it, also this years "Wine Country Cobra Tour". Keep at it you're doing great work.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx John I'll check into the data logging. Its probably a good idea!
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see Tom
    keep up the great work.

also please please please remove that wiper kit now and replace it with a marine wiper or 2 if you wish. do a quick search on here for it.
    it is well worth it.
    You will be disapointed with the FFR supplied unit.
    I have installed a dozen of the FFR units on coupes, and done all the known tricks. It will fail you when you need it the most.
    This is not bashing FFR. I love them. Its just that unit is not good.
    Later
    Mark D
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 12-29-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark

My body is off awaiting a slot at the painters. I have FFR's wiper motor installed. Please detail what you find wrong with the kit. Is it the motor only, or wiper boxes, or cable drive. Some mentioned earlier the tube covering was too large. I don't want to replace with Marine wipers as I would have to redo everything under the dash and really don't have the room for an arm operated system. What about "Specialty Power Window Company", they sell a wiper motor that has 300 in lbs of stall torque, 2 speed and adjustable sweep from 60 degrees to 120 degrees in 10 degree increments. Part #WWJ at $89.00 or motor, cable and wiper boxes, part #WWK at $239.00. Some people I've talked to seem to think, properly installed, the FFR wipers work fine in conjunction with plenty of Rainex. I don't want to have to replace anything in this department once the body gets reinstalled. You would have to be Houdini to get at the wiper motor!! What is your take on all of this? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas build leads to first start!

The extended Christmas weekend yielded a lot of build time to allow progress toward my goal of a New Years' Day go kart. After my several previous trial fitments the engine install went ahead without a hitch. I then spent most of the weekend making all the final connections, rerouting wires and hoses to avoid things like hot exhaust headers, and adding fluids to the transmission and differential. Didn't want to miss THAT one right Ricky Bobby?!

The right side O2 sensor harness is about 3 feet too short, so I took the leap and spliced in a 3 foot harness for all 6 leads, carefully marking , soldering, and heat shrinking all 12 connections. The remote reservoirs for coolant and power steering were mounted and coolant hoses routed; the FFR coyote J-pipes are beautifully crafted stainless works of art. Note the VERY tight quarters about the driver side exhaust/alternator/oil pressure sender...definitely need the Whitby 3/8" motor mount spacers...they're on order.

After all hookups were completed the big moment came...and it started right away without a hitch! Thank you Ford Racing! The instructions must be right on the money. I then spent the next morning chasing leaks, which always seem to appear seemingly from nowhere, and working on the seat install and modification of an OMP seat slide to fit with the Salvaggio seat modification made months ago. By narrowing the space between the seat tracks about 2" (cut 2" out of the release handle and re-welded it) I was able to affix the track on both sides to the underlying frame rather than sheet metal, a critical safety feature in any race car. A 3/4" square tube was used under the front of the seat for increased rake, and my 6' frame seems to fit quite comfortably. There is about 4" of seat travel which should allow other drivers to pilot the car for longer endurance events ( are you in Karen?).

Go Kart was one day late on Wed 1/2 as I needed a longer seat bolt to secure the seat track clear through the frame and no hardware stores were open on the first (where is your friendly Ace Hardware man when you need him?). Kart was uneventful and the extra time spent on front end alignment was invaluable. This thing is stink fast! Hard to beat 390 ft lbs of torque! And it sounds crazy with no mufflers! HeHe!

Initial suspension settings standard Challenge fare, -2 camber, 6 caster, 1/8" toe out, 4" ride height. Springs were pirated from my Challenge car, front 750# rear 550#, shocks set to max hard. She tracks straight and true with minimal effort, even though the power steering remains disconnected as I still await the appropriate hoses.

first start video: http://youtu.be/zdwlxCDHiRs

A few more details remain then its on to body work. The goal is race track by March. Stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.7 KB, 662 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (66.9 KB, 650 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.3 KB, 652 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Tom! You continuing to make leaps and bounds forward. Your progress is making me feel inadequate, 5 years and still building. Keep up the good work my friend!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Dougherty

You must have missed my questions in thread #48 regarding the FFR windshield wiper motor kit. Would you be so kind as to respond to what ails them as my body is off right now and this would be the time to correct this issue if required.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Bill
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like

Its a Coupe!

This weekend brought a major milestone in the coupe project...the body! With the expert assistance of ace coupe builders Rick Anderson and Karen Salvaggio, I tackled the next phase of construction, placement and fitting of the body and nose. First the body was retrieved from the top rack of storage and the door sills and fuel cell area were trimmed to fit the competition mods to the door and fuel cell areas. the body was then placed and fit surprisingly well. A little extra trimming to pass over the driver side intrusion plate, and we were good to go.

In the process it was noted that the previously placed brake reservoirs and heater unit were too high, preventing the body from seating properly. They were disconnected and moved aside, to be repositioned lower as a later time.

Following that the process of nose fitment was begun. Under the watchful eyes of Rick a jack was placed under the nose and it was carefully aligned to the pontoons. The length was adjusted first, with approx 1/4" being trimmed off the rear edge of the nose so that the wheel arches lined up properly. The top edge of the nose was then shimmed with rubber bumpers until even, and side fitment examined. It was clear that the passenger side of the nose was way too tall to fit properly. To correct this, a 3/8" section was removed from the lower passenger side, thus aligning the top, side and bottom with much improved gaps. The area was carefully trimmed and fiberglassed, and should finish nicely with excellent final fit and finish, at this point only needing a little more final rear edge trim to achieve a perfect fit, which will be done after final secure mounting of the body is completed. Finally a slot was cut for clearance of the Challenge Series Spec tow hook, which fits quite nicely.

The hood hinges and side locks were then placed, and adjusted for smooth and solid latching. Under hood clearance is excellent with the Coyote, and I must admit its very tempting to cut out the hood bubble and put in a plexiglas panel to show off that gorgeous engine! Now for filling, sanding, and a cloud of dust!
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (36.2 KB, 623 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (61.8 KB, 618 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (40.1 KB, 574 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.7 KB, 598 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (35.2 KB, 565 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.0 KB, 590 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (56.1 KB, 543 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.2 KB, 562 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.6 KB, 623 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    It's looking really good Tom!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures. You are correct we are in about the same spot. I wish I had your experienced team helping me. Want to do a road trip

He have the same problem on the hood with the passenger side being high. The drivers side is a little high, but I think livable for a race car. I may do the same thing as you with cutting a chunk out to lower it. I'm not sure I can live that even if it is a race car. I like what you did with the door hinge area, just cut it all out. That is a good idea.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I am so impressed. I would almost be willing to sell my car just to build one like yours.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys...this is really getting fun! I agree that show quality body perfection is not the goal in this dedicated track car. Thats's why I elected to go with the tried and true challenge series tow hook. Not elegant but strong and effective! But I do want the nose to fit well and be very secure for those thriple digit speeds! The door frame cutouts will make door fitment much easier, and can be covered with aluminum trim plates if necessary. Likewise some of the cockpit and wheel well areas will be filled in with more aluminum panels. I am told I may need to refashion the internal door frames to allow them to fit well over the NASCAR bars. We'll see this weekend.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice progress Tom. Fun watching the progress. I really need to come out and see it first hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely! I would greatly value your input. A few more weeks of sanding/prep then the body comes off for paint. At that time I will make a number of final adjustments that have come up, then it's racin' time!
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think this is the marine wiper solution Mark was talking about

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ml#post2535748
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    yep it is Martin
    YOUR CAR IS ON ITS WAY. Loaded it into the container yesterday.
    The marine wipers are not my idea but an awsome one that works.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like

Giving the princess a body to die for!

Its been quite a while since my last post, but the shop has been humming with lots of excitement! That is if you're excited by grinding, filling, sanding...repeat! At my last installment, we had fitted the body and nose, and she began to look like a car. Over the ensuing weeks i have fitted the doors, glass, mirrors, and done a ton of smoothing and blending.

First I started with the doors. Thanks to good advice from other forum members, I started by fitting the doorframes and dialing in the latching mechanism. It a good thing I tried this first, because the passenger side NASCAR bars interfered greatly with the lower doorframe. My solution...cut off the lower frame bar and fabricate a new one higher up, then re-weld the frame. After both frames were easily and securely latching, the next step was to fit the doors to the openings. This requires judicious trimming with a cutoff wheel and a lot of final adjustment with a belt sander. The belt sander is probably the best tool here but makes a TON of dust. The door bars also require large cutouts from the bottom of the doors , but this allows the bars to recess into the door when closed, giving a very clean look.

After installing the doors and latches, a large amount of time was spent evening out door gaps and fine tuning the latch mechanism and alignment. Once the best possible fit was achieved, the remaining mismatched areas were adjusted by filling low areas and removing high areas until there was a smooth transition of all body panels one onto the other. This is a tedious process, but makes for very smooth looking (and aerodynamic) car.

Finally after all panel fitment was done to satisfaction, mirrors and glass were placed to be certain no additional body modification would be required before final paint.

The car was then taken to Doug Marino at Raptor Racing in Fresno, CA for fabrication of the custom Stainless sidepipes. Because of the coyote powerplant, the standard (and restrictive) dual sidepipes won"t work, therefore I went for the large single pipes. Because of increasingly strict sound limits on California road courses, we opted to add 4 inches to the length of the muffler section, and the result is a mellow basso profundo which should make noise limits but still sounds amazing! Kudos to Doug, these pipes are stainless works of art that belong in the Smithsonian!

Pipes on then body off! I must say its somewhat crushing to take it all apart after months of putting it together! But the beauty wrap is yet to come! The body was removed and final smoothing and surface prep is underway. Many thanks to factory five owner and ace body man Mike Bertolucci for his expertise and help in this tedious process! I am ready for the Slick Sand heavy filling primer this weekend, and final paint the following one. Then its off to the track!
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (56.2 KB, 572 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.2 KB, 532 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 518 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.7 KB, 523 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.1 KB, 520 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.1 KB, 522 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.2 KB, 527 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.4 KB, 565 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Your "Princess" is a 38-22-35 in my book..IE: Perfect!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Your coupe is really coming along beautifully! Great work! The side pipes just make me drool!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Tom! What a beauty you are building.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a nice car. I have always wanted a coupe.

I have a challenge car and was wondering what organization/class are you going to be running in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Current plan is to run ST1/TT1 with NASA and possibly ES enduro. I would love to have a more open FFR class because the challenge series is dead on the West Coast. Along with Karen Salvaggio (vnmss) and Hank Lopez (Hankl) I am trying to revive it with a coupe iteration. Shooting for my frost track day/shakedown run the weekend of March 15...
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work...keep it up! Hey, is that a Monza I see up above your roadster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Spec E30 BMW...
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. I hope to see coupes in the racing series.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Bringing Beauty to the Beast

I apologize its been nearly a month since my last post. I assure you the time has not been wasted! As of the last installment we had finished the body finish work in preparation for paint. The subsequent weeks have seen a seemingly endless sequence of paint, sand, and paint some more, in hopes of bringing a beautiful finish to our coupe. I say our because the team of Mike Bertolucci, painter extraodinaire, Amir Khalil, team KneedAdjustment Racing crew member, and myself have worked tirelessly often until the wee hours to bring this project to fruition. Many heartfelt thanks to these great friends!

We began the paint with 2 layers of Slick Sand, a heavy polyester filler/primer that dries to a hard plastic finish which is then wet sanded with 400 grit paper to a glass-like finish. This fills and seals the underlayers of body filler and glazing compound, giving the first true look at the quality of the body finish.

The primer was followed by 2 coats of sealer, chosen carefully to be compatible with our planned waterborne color coat. Mike is the super painter of the group, but i was able to lend a hand with several of these undercoats, gaining much needed experience wielding the paint gun. Since waterborne paint is known to be very thin and show even fine sanding scratches, the sealer was "nibbed" with 1000 grit paper, giving a smooth finish.

Now for the big moment...COLOR! I have thought about the color scheme for months, wanting a traditional livery to properly represent our new coupe series, but shying away from traditional blue/white because so many cobras are painted these colors. What to do? After searching and consulting with Daytona guru Peter Brock, I decided on the colors and livery of the 1965 LeMans entry of Scuderia Filipinetti, that being Swiss red with single white stripe. After months of searching and researching several historic texts, only 5 archival photos were located, and two of these are black and white! No paint codes were available, just the term "Swiss Red". I discovered that the Germans did a tribute Mini in 2008 and decided to use the colors they chose. My colors are 2008 VW Tornado Red and 2011 Toyota Super White.

The waterborne red went on fast and thin. It was a new experience for our seasoned painter, and he took it in stride. While the waterborne covers quickly, it shows every tiny scratch and fuzzy, so we eventualy settled on the sequence of paint 3 coats, wait a day for drying, then nib out the surface and repeat. Each successive coating gave an improved appearance, so we kept going, eventually finishing with 8 coats of color.

After a full day of drying, it was on to stripes. Wow we were excited! I must say it is nearly impossible to put straight stripes on this sexy, curvy car. Since there was no good reference for the livery, we had to wing it a bit on the stripe size, finally hitting on the formula of 20" gumballs an a single 10" stripe. You can judge for yourself, but i think we hit a home run! After 5 hours of taping and masking by 4 people, the stripes were "in the bag", and we were finally ready for paint. 3 quick coats of Toyota super white, a half hour of flash time, and the stripes were revealed. And we were thrilled!

After all this work, the clearcoat seems almost an afterthought, but is indeed the layer that gives the paint its depth and beauty. Mike dusted down a quick coat of clear over the stripes, and they seemed a little rough. We therefore waited a day for drying time and yet ANOTHER buffing out with 1000 grit before proceeding with the final 4 layers of clear.

Final tally...1 gal of rage, 1/2 gal metal glaze, 23 coats (7 1/2 gal) of paint! Approx 350 hours bodywork time. I truly have a new respect for those who do this for a living. Hats off to custom car painters, you earn every penny!

Final results...amazing! Next step, final assembly, cut/buff paint, finish sb-100, then its off to Huntington Beach!

-Tom
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (39.5 KB, 508 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (58.5 KB, 476 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (58.3 KB, 464 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.9 KB, 457 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.3 KB, 456 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.2 KB, 446 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.4 KB, 449 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.2 KB, 503 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (70.0 KB, 514 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.4 KB, 564 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom
    Thanks for the update.
    you are truely doing a great job. I just love the color combo.
    I cant wait to see it in person.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks great Tom!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

That coupe is a stunner and can't wait to see it at speed, side by side, with Karen's coupe. Love what you guys are doing to keep the coupes flying as relevant racecars.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    That was an incredibly fun car to paint and probably the coolest car I have ever painted. There was a little bit of a learning curve for me on the waterborne paint system, but I must say that it is pretty easy to use once you get it down and understand it. The car looks great in the photos and absolutely gorgeous in person. My favorite shot is when the last coat of clear went on.

Post Thanks / Like
    love it!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    But........But..........But...........It was Red when you started.

Just kidding Tom. The car looks beautiful and again, you are doing and awesome job!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks incredible in person and is probably the coolest car I have ever painted.

*not sure why my first post with a photo wasn't posted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely stunning. It's wonderful to see a traditional color.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it should be called,

Wile E Coyote Red!

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast