FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote Competition Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the kudos. It really has been a team effort to get this paint done, and I'm eternally grateful to all who helped out.

Hank...I like that! Coyote Red, a fitting name. I'll put that in the mix with all the other suggestions. Right now it's still a bit of the f*******car! At this stage it's always a love/hate relationship. Right now it's more love , last week it was AAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Such is the car hobby.
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoon View Post
    last week it was AAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Such is the car hobby.
    Yeah, we definitely had a couple of those "AAAARRRRGGGHHH" moments last week. Little hand prints come to mind...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tom...I am getting caught up in old threads on this site...just started coming more regularly here...I enjoyed reading through this one...Nice car!

Marc
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Coyote Red Debut at Huntington Beach

At my last installment, we had just finished the long road to paint perfection. In the ensuing month while the clear coat was hardening, I performed the myriad of tasks which is lovingly called "final assembly". And what a task list it is! Somehow it seems so much more difficult drilling holes, installing parts, and generally working around the car when there is new soft paint to protect.

One of the big and challenging jobs with the coupe is installation of the glass. I was very pleased to find my glass fit very well, both front and rear. I had trial fit the glass before final paint, and was rewarded with a smooth even fit of the glass all around. The rear glass took only a bit of adjustment to the latch mechanism. The front glass fit the opening so tightly that a standard T style molding would not even fit into the gap. I had prepared the glass by blacking the outer 1 1/2" of the backside as recommended by others on the forum, then took the car to Advanced Auto Glass in Santa Rosa. They hit upon the idea of using a hidden molding like a rear backlight, and the result is an extremely smooth and clean look, with no visible rubber molding...very aerodynamic!

Once the glass was installed, attention was turned back to the final cut and buff of the paint. Once again, kudos to those who do this for a living! Wow what a job! Long story short, the entire car was color sanded (that means sanding the shiny clear coat until its dull and smooth) a very painful thing to do after you spent months making it shiny! The entire car was sanded with 1500 and 2000 grit paper until all the visible orange peel was gone. After that the laborious process of polishing with polishing compound, then" Perfect it II" polish was performed over the period of a week, taking approximately 30 hours. Oh my achin' shoulders! The result is a beautiful finish, much more that a race car deserves...but its a coupe!

Once paint was finally finished, it was time for stickers, Lights, and that first real shakedown run! WooHoo! I must say this coyote engine absolutely screams from 5000-7000 rpm, and that passes in a heartbeat!

Our sites were set for Huntington Beach as our big debut, and we were not disappointed! What a great event! I felt highly honored to be featured alongside the stunning coupes of Ron Stebles and Karen Salvaggio, and there were throngs of interested enthusiasts around the car all day long.

After a successul shakedown mini track day at the HB auto cross, I headed home to finish the work of preparation for real road racing. The car was dyno'd today and I'm very pleased to report 398 hp with the stock Coyote engine, FFR intake and exhaust, and a power tune from JMS Chip in Mississippi. The dyno technician was quite uneasy...we were posting 160 mph on the dyno at 7000 rpm! and that's only 4th gear...don't think I'll be seeing that any time soon...

video link...http://youtu.be/eZnZ7ndsQys
    Next week off to the tech inspector for that all important log book!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.2 KB, 507 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (38.1 KB, 469 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.9 KB, 486 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.9 KB, 474 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.7 KB, 464 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.0 KB, 489 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 450 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (65.0 KB, 510 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.4 KB, 518 views)
    Last edited by tcoon; 05-06-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is absolutely stunning in person Tom. Job well done!
    Frank

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

That is one amazing coupe! Looks and sounds absolutely wonderful. Great job on the build!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Love the beast!! She is just stunningly beautiful! Love the color, and she just looks so mean just standing still. It must be a thrill to get behind the wheel after all the hard work! Congratulations on a wonderful build. I like Coyote Red too, but don't forget Yosemite Sam; he could be a cool decal on the car too!

Great build and thanks for sharing. Enjoy the heck out of her!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking coupe! Does the butt dyno comfirm the numbers?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I can't believe I missed you in Huntington Beach. I definately wanted to chat. Oh well, maybe another time. I am probably 4-6 weeks from first start. Can't wait!

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    love it!! very very nice Tom

have you scaled it? whats it weigh?
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    She scales at 2650 with me and 3 gal of gas, perfect 50% cross weights. That puts me at 6.65 lb/hp. My class min is 6.4 (ST1/TT1, -.4 aero penalty and -.5 weight penalty) so I should be very competitive. May be able to squeak out another 10-15 hp from exhaust improvement but I don't think that will be necessary. The butt dyno says YEEHAA!

Kevin, sorry I missed you at HB. Maybe we can hook up sometime I'm just a few hours up the road. Would be happy to help out with your build any time!

Tom
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about getting a Cobra ony because I wanted to build the Coupe with a Boss 302 engine and most people said it could not be done. Now I see it can, but....certainly not easily. For someone with no car building skills, is this an impossible task? I don't want to screw with carbs (great altitude fluxuations where I live and I don't want to be changing jets all the time) and would love the livability of the new coyote engine and 6 speed. Tcoon, would you steer me away, or will it be worth the time and trouble to get what I really want? I will just be on the streets, driving it to work (secured paring lot) and ocasional track days, but not really competing in anything.

I passed one in Castle Rock last Friday and talked to the owner for a bit. Such great looking cars. Love the race car on the street look, and love the roll cage protection for when my kids are with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The coyote build was really not particularly more difficult Than the standard old school 5.0. Just some differences. You need the coyote footbox, headers, etc from FFR, but they're readily available. The control pack computer from Ford Racing is stand alone, and requires a prett straightforward 4 wire hookup. Mating the coyote to the Ron Francis harness has a few wrinkles, but the steps are well laid out in the FFR instructions. By the way I have a 5 speed, and would not go for a six. Way overkill, on the street I rarely get out of fourth, which redlines at 160 mph! The power band on this engine means you really don't need to shift much, it pulls all the way down to 800 rpm.

The Boss intake will not fit under the coupe hood, but I'm making 398 RWHP so I'd save your money...the Boss crate motor is several thousand dollars more for only 50 hp! The power/weight ratio of this car (minus driver using rwhp) is equal to the zr1 Corvette at 6.3...and it costs about $80,000 less! This is a stone cold reliable daily driver with the heart of a lion, and I wouldn't do the car any other way! The package is just a killer combination of power, reliability, light weight, and pure adrenaline!
    Last edited by tcoon; 06-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tim, over the years I have discovered that if you have a dream and settle for something less you will most often be disappointed and always wonder how it would be if you had stuck to your dream. For me I knew how I wanted my build to be done even though it will mean taking longer to complete the car but when it is done it will be the way I want it. Without knowing you but do know all the help that is on the boards I would think you should be able to fulfill your dream.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, great job! cant wait to see incar videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

The car looks stunning. Great job! Your car ended up 200 lbs lighter than mine. I do have AC, an accusump and a fire suppression system, but that doesn't seem to add to that much. Great numbers out of that little 5.0!

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    So the intake for the Boss is an issue huh? I was more wanting it for the 4 bolt mains as well as the extra HP. Crud. I certainly don't want to change the hood as it is perfect as is. Now I seeing the famiy build (Mike and ??) and looking at all the extra welding, the side impact work they are doing. I love that, I am all about protection for my girls when they ride with me, but have ZERO skills to pull that work off. So now I am wondering if this is the right project for me or not.

Then I look at the pics and videos of the coupes and am ready to pick your brain to get it done.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tim,

Where are you located, we have several Competition Coupes being built around the country, so someone to help you might just be around the corner.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    JC - you must have an iron block LS? Mine is all aluminum. I do have an accusump and fire systsem, but no AC. All else would seem to be about the same...the coyote is one light and powerful package!

Tim...the stock coyote 302 also has 4 bolt mains, etc. I believe the only difference is a very slightly warmer cam in the boss and perhaps slightly better pistons, and of course the intake. I MAY have issue with this in road racing but doubt you will ever see an issue with a street car. A long history of racing the old school 5.0 leads me to think the new bottom end of the stock coyote will ne plenty strong as well, but alas only time will tell...

By the way, don't be too afraid of the competition coupe cage mods. They are pretty easily done in a weekend by any competent cage builder, and I'm sure there are some located near you. The cost should not be great. No other serious welding required, and if you do the standard kit format no welding at all.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoon View Post
    I believe the only difference is a very slightly warmer cam in the boss and perhaps slightly better pistons, and of course the intake.
    The Boss has different connecting rods, no piston cooling jets, different cams, different intake, improved heads, different pistons, and spins an additional 500 RPM. I think that's all of them, but I might be missing one or two.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    factory 5.0's are being boosted well past 500 rwhp so yo don't need a BOSS motor even though it sounds cool. If you want to add more power without a supercharger (that wont fit) just change the cams and tune your VVT on the dyne. Cammed and tuned mustangs are getting upper 400's at the wheels which makes them a rocket and they weigh 1,000 lb. more. Im defiantly going the Coyote route.I just need to find one at a yard where they don't charge almost the price of a new one from Ford. I may have missed it but are you using the electronic accelerator pedal and throttle body from ford and how does that work with the other pedals you are using?

Post Thanks / Like

The Coyote can RUN!

When I last posted a progress report, we had just finished the Huntington Beach Show and AutoX for a brief shakedown of the car. While it performed well on the street, this baby was built for the track, so immediately on returning home preparations were made for the long awaited track debut.

First order of business was finalizing the NASA legality and class of the car, and that requires a trip to the dyno. So off to RPM Engines of Santa Rosa I went, and came home with a consistent 398 RWHP and a big smile on my face! That's a pretty good number for a bone stock Coyote with only a power tune. The FFR J pipes kink rather abruptly at the frame rail, so if power becomes an issue later (Haha) more gains are there with a custom header setup.

Next comes the ritual of sticker application, and now that we had weight and HP numbers, decided on classes TT1. ST1, and possibly ES for endurance racing later this year. An AIM solo lap timer was added, right side net and window net installed for the final time, belts adjusted and all the terminals covered, etc, and off to the tech inspector we went. I am happy to say the cage design passed with flying colors, and the car was highly complimented for its build quality and completeness. Log book received!

Finally the big day arrived! Thunderhill Raceway Park was to be the testing ground for the beast. I know the track well, it has lots of room for mistakes, and the plan was to run TT only and take it slow to allow me time to adjust and sort out any potential mechanical issues.

Day 1 dawned clear and pleasant, with temps most of the day in the 70's and 80's, approaching 90 by mid afternoon session. I headed out for the morning session with great anticipation, and I was not disappointed! This car rocks! The engine sounds great, and it pulls like a freight train from 4000-7000 rpm. I am used to a falloff of power above 5000 with the old style challenge car, but this thing takes off like a shot from a gun. I routinely saw 120 mph on the short straights in third gear, and was passing the flag stand on the front straight at 140 mph in fourth and still accelerating! Unbelievable! Needless to say, with such a tremendous performance differential from my previous cars, the learning curve was steep. I blew many braking zones, and in fact picked up a brake mechanical issue, an accelerator mounting bolt which was blocking the brake pedal from fully depressing, thus allowing only about 70% brake force to be applied. Not cool when you're approaching a 90 degree right turn at 120 mph!

Problem was fixed but I retired the day with two major off road excursions, determined to take it even more slowly on Sunday and avoid any more grass mowing!

Sunday I awoke to high winds and hot temps. With the brake issue solved, I focused on a slow start and gradually picked up speed, working to improve braking accuracy and trying to determine best shift points. With the wide rpm range of the coyote, I finally decided to just leave it in third gear for almost all the track, only shifting to fourth at the end of the front straight. Using this technique I posted my best lap of the weekend, 2:10.058...my personal best on this track. This is generally a slow time but MY personal best by 5 seconds. the pacesetters of the group were running about 2 sec off pace due to the heat and high winds, so I figure the "adjusted" time is about 2:08. a huge victory for me at 7 sec off my best! And I am certain there is a ton of improvement to come. This package has amazing potential and with a talented driver the times will really fall quickly! John George this car is made for you!

The coupe mystique lives on. All weekend there was a constant stream of lookers and questions, and at least two people went home to order build manuals. Race on Sunday, sell cars on Monday is alive and well!
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (61.1 KB, 379 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (65.0 KB, 365 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (38.3 KB, 337 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.2 KB, 347 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.9 KB, 368 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    tcoon: Great read and you write very well!
    Best of luck with that Beast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job Tom! The pictures and write up are great. I can relate to blowing through braking zones, I did the same thing. You are just going so much faster in these cars.

Can you post some pictures and details on your front brake ducts? What backing plate did you use on the spindle and where did you mount the inlet? I need to do something. I went through a set of 20mm pads during the one lap that last for an entire year on my Mazda.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Tom!! now where is the gopro footage?? incar INCAR!! ppplease

Post Thanks / Like
    Videos from the weekend. Sorry but I was having technical issues with my new camera...didnt' realize a 4 GB card would only record one session with the HD format, so only got the first session of each day...certainly not my best performance! But I think you'll get the picture. The Coyote package is just flat awesome!

http://youtu.be/dK_mFPFtzJ4

http://youtu.be/u3eIuA3NlGQ
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I used backing plates/mounts from agent 47 for a mustang GT, cut down to fit and mounted to steering arm. they work very well. Also would recommend Carbotech xp10 pads. We have used these for years on the challenge cars even in the 25 hour race and they hold up extremely well. Once I got my pedal mounting issue resolved on Saturday the brakes were very powerful and fade free over the 20 min sessions in 90+ degree heat.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.2 KB, 280 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (50.3 KB, 278 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 258 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    1.jpgBy the way I am very pleased with the suspension setup on my car. Check out the suspension angle of the two cars in this photo...

Thank you factory five for a great chassis design!
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, boy does it pick up speed fast! glad to see it out there and you having a ball with it. Can you tell what the car was doing? oversteer/understeer?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are so right! The closing speed with this car is off the charts! I was driving around spec Miatas like traffic cones. Overall chassis balance feels very neutral, end of day Sunday I was sliding it through the turns pretty hard and it felt really stable, none of the challenge car squirreliness. I am using a pretty standard challenge setup, front sway bar, 750# springs front, 550# rear, three link rearend. My biggest issue is power application. Accelerating out of turns 6 and 9 in third gear I was doing a major burnout, with rearend squirming around all the way to turn 7. Crazy feeling doing a burnout at 70-100 mph! I may need to go from 315 hoosiers up to 335? Don't think that would even help. there is just crazy power at higher rpm. Its really been a major adjustment hitting every single major corner at 20-30 mph higher speeds. This is gonna take a little time...
    Last edited by tcoon; 05-21-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! You will get used to the added power over time, problem is now you cannot go backwards... 5 inches more on wheelbase then the challenge car makes it less twitchy. Was the swaybar on full stiff? More tire will help, but now with that much power you will might need to play with aero to overcome those kind of issues. #85 had 380hp to the wheels and was very stable at speed and it had aero.

Post Thanks / Like
    sway bar on farthest hole...I believe thats full stiff. car is very stable at speed, just need more rear downforce under hard acceleration.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    tcoon,

Thanks for the report and congratulation on getting your car on track. There are many major points when building a car such as first starting the engine and finishing the painting and I think getting the logbook is right up there with any of them. Comparing you lap times to the fastest guys is interesting but comparing them to yourself is the most important. I am not familiar with the 3 link rear suspension but I would think if you could add more anti-squat to it that might help the traction under acceleration

Best of luck in the future,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, are the rear lower control arms mounted on the top holes or bottom holes at the axle? also is your panhard bar as far down as the slot can go on the right axle side mount?

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome coupe, Tom. Someday, I'm going to have to see you running that on a track ... hmmm, Road Atlanta comes to mind! Well done!

Had fun at the Carlisle show ... lots of interest in the coupes and the 818.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    John-yes the control arms are in the bottom holes and Panhard bar full to the bottom. It hooks up great from a stop, just extra power at the top
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

the Beast goes Aero!

When I last posted after my first track outing there were some issues that needed to be addressed, specifically the loss of rearend traction at high speed power application and engine oil overheating under full power conditions.

The oil heating problem was addressed by addition of a B&M oil cooler placed in front of the radiator and connected in series with the accusump and remote oil filter. If nothing else, this setup gives me a larger reservoir...along with the Moroso road race pan and accusump, my oil capacity is now about 12 quarts! I guess that's good but oil changes with synthetic racing oil are muy expensivo!

The second problem, rear end traction, is a little more complex. John George said aero, and I agree. I sent pics of my car to Daytona designer Peter Brock and he said to add a rear diffuser. When you get advice from one of the great automotive aero genius' of all time, and he's the designer of the car to boot, the question is not IF but "how quick can you get it done!" And indeed, almost all the competitors in my TT1 and ST1 classes have major aero...if you're not running it, you will lose.

So, I bought a 2' x 3' sheet of 16 ga aluminum and proceeded to do my best Phil Remington imitation, beating the sheet into grudging submission with a large rubber mallet. This car is supposed to be hammered aluminum, right? Keep in mind this is a real, competing, functioning race car, not a show piece. I chose aluminum because I can reform it when necessary, and the first time I do a tank slapper on the Carousel at Infineon I can beat it back into shape or make a new panel. It is definitely not a fiberglas piece of art as others on the forum have made, but is aerodynamically correct (I think), with the belly pan at 7 degrees to the ground and the side fins extending as close to the ground as practical, even with the sides of the car in front of the wheels. The panel required no body changes, and can be easily removed with 2 bolts and a few pop rivets if necessary. It looks quite good, and being black is hard to see and harder to photograph! I think it will work well.

Moving to the front, a spoiler was fabricated by using the chin spoiler from a c4 Corvette, and making filler panels at the sides from aluminum, so the chin spoiler now runs 3 1/2" ground clearance with my 4" ride height. This seems to function quite well, and still allows me to raise and lower the nose without hitting the ground.

Next road test is 2 weeks in Sonoma, but the real tests will be Laguna Seca in July and the high banks of AAA Speedway in August!

The purists out there may crucify me for violating the classic looks, but Hey, its a race car! And if Peter Brock says go for it, its good enough for me! If Carroll were running this car today, he'd have the baddest aero package he could find!

-T
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.5 KB, 356 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (50.8 KB, 339 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (56.4 KB, 334 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (43.2 KB, 337 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.8 KB, 373 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.3 KB, 366 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.7 KB, 365 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update and good luck on you next outing.

To me all your new part look really cool and should help but every car shape react a little differently. Testing new aero bits is always fun but not always with the results you expect. One thing I found helps see what the air is doing is to spray a light film of WD-40 on the whole body for the first test and make several laps. Dust will collect on the surface and you can see where the air is going and if it is still attached to the body. Air doesn’t always go where you think it does. After the first test when you know where the air is going you only need to spray the areas affected by the new test pieces and not the whole body. I never had issues with not enough rear down force because I always ran at least one rear wing but I found small dive plains on the front sides made a big difference in front end grip without affecting top speed.

Please keep us updated,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like

"Development IS racing" -Peter Brock

NASA NorCal had a nearly pure HPDE weekend over Father's Day so I took the opportunity to have a "simple no stress" driving weekend to get some seat time and continue the development of the Coyote track beast. It turned out to be not so simple after all!

Saturday dawned cool and pleasant and promised a great day of track action. since no TT groups or normal NASA race groups were running, I elected to join HPDE 4, which allows open passing but you are strongly advised to avoid aggressive driving, dive-bomb passing, etc. It seemed a perfect chance to buid confidence in the new car!

Session 1 was great. I started off slowly, gradually increasing speed and learning the new brake points/shift points for this dramatically faster car. It was quite fun, with a lot of slower traffic present to promote many passing opportunities, and I took care to pass one car at a time in very safe areas so as to avoid freaking out any newbies. Overall it was great fun, and the car performed well. For those of you looking for a track day machine, check out the closing rate and ease with which this car can pass just about any HPDE machine...only full on race cars can keep up! And I'm still street legal!

I was particularly pleased with the performance of the new aero mods; the front spoiler, rear diffuser, and central air tunnel combined to produce an extremely stable and planted ride, very noticeable on the front straight and particularly on the Carousel, a decreasing radius increasing speed downhill 120 degree turn which starts at about 70 mph and shoots you out onto the back straight at 100! previously this turn has always been a white-knuckler for me, with the Challenge car squirelly and unforgiving. With the aero I could take any line at will, and kept adding speed each lap with ease.

The second session started off even better, with increasing speeds and dropping 4 more seconds off the previous lap times, now down to 2:04 with a LOT of slower traffic. Not great times, but considering the traffic and run group pretty respectable. There were a few spec E30 drivers and others running rough shod over the group, but they were later chastised for their antics. Unfortunately about 2/3 through the session I blew a power steering pump, and was forced to retire for the day to undertake repairs. When I went to move the car later that day after repairing the pump, I found the clutch cable was completely locked up, apparently having melted the inner liner on track, then welded tight once it cooled down. So a clutch cable replacement was in order as well! what a day! With the extra width of the Coyote motor, the cable necessarily runs VERY close to the exhaust, and apparently even my heat shield tape was not adequate.

Sunday brought another great day, and after a few parts runs and some serious thrashing, a new cable was procured and installed. I managed to make session three of the day, and was accompanied by Dr Jeff Awender as passenger, previous Challenge racer and driving partner. We had a blast for 1 1/2 laps of the alternative "NAS/Indy" configuration, and the new clutch cable melted completely in half and failed catastrophically, leaving us stranded on the back side of the track. Oh well, at least I got to test out my new tow hook! so its back to the drawing board for clutch cable routing options, or possibly even a switch to hydraulics...stay tuned for the next chapter!

videos uploading...

http://youtu.be/EI-mNOFrjIM

http://youtu.be/b_2sNLCGrh0

http://youtu.be/ArbtpgTYkhg
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 246 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.4 KB, 245 views)
    Last edited by tcoon; 06-19-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    tcoon

Sounds like you had a good time and that is what it’s all about. The mods look great and it sounds like they are working as you hoped they would. I found that enclosing parts, like the clutch cable, from the air stream will cause unforeseen heat problems. I tried some “Fire Sleeve” around the clutch cable which helped some but ended up going hydraulic which cured the problem. Another aero bit that I have used in the past is to run a lip that points down made from 3/8”-1/2” aluminum angle which runs along the outside edges of the under body from just behind the front wheels to just in front of the rear tires. This acts as a vortex generator that helps form an air curtain along the side that help prevent air from entering from the sides and disrupting the airflow to the rear diffuser. The smaller the gap from the lip the ground the better it will work. Have you considered getting a data accusation system to be able to quantify the affects of your changes?

Thanks for the update,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast