Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Coyote Competition Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

It was great to watch you and Karen race your coupes this weekend. Sorry about the radiator hose.
    Love the video. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the report.

How did you lap times compare to your old car? I found that even when running the same layout things would change like the little jog before the bridge was not always as pronounced and the barricades at the end around turn 13 would be moved closer to the track sometimes. When braking for turn 3 I used a hole in the fence that is on top of the wall to drivers right. After I updated my brakes I could go a little past the hole before starting to brake. I also found that it is more important to have a good line for the next turn after 3 rather that trying to carry more speed between the two turns. The turn that took me a long time to figure out was the dick turn. If you aren’t familiar with that turn just look at a track map and it will be clear. It is about a 180 degree decreasing radius turn that is off camber and goes slightly down hill. I found I could enter the chicane before that turn flat at around 120 and be around 125 exiting. As soon a the car was stable and I took a breath I would aim for the curbing on the inside of dick turn and hold the inside until the exit. Your car my respond differently than mine but that worked the best for me by far. For the engine over heating after adding a belly pan I found increasing the size of the engine bay air exit did the trick. I don’t know how much air you have coming in but it needs to also get out. Opening up the side vents may help.

Hope to make it out to see you soon,

Bill Lomenick
    Last edited by CHOTIS BILL; 08-06-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your comments, they all sound like great advice! Times were the same as last time I was there 2 yrs ago, after building up over a whole weekend at that time, so I'm ok with that considering everything. Every time I started to go faster something would overheat or I went off, so I guess it's back to the drawing board for next time! am considering putting exit vents in the hood, but that would require yet more paint work...ugh!

T
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Great report Tom.

I know it is annoying that the rad hose came off, however the picture with all the water blasting out is priceless!

As we all know developing a new race car has its challenges, but it sure looks like you are having fun.

One of these days ill get out there to see you all on the track.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the pics and video. I have to admit it actually looked like fun. Even the turn three miss didn't look too scary. I hope you get all the little issues out of the way so you can really enjoy driving. It was fascinating to see things from inside the car. I won't race mine, but can't wait to drive it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hood Clearance with a Coyote Install

Hey guys, I just ordered my Coupe today,

I am investigating the addition of a supercharger with a coyote. The supercharger is 2.625 inches taller than the intake manifold on a stock Coyote. Can anyone with a Coyote installed on a coupe measure the clearance they have to the hood scoop from the intake without the plastic cover.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try and measure the clearance tomorrow, but there is definitely NOT enough room to put a supercharger on the coyote without a hood bubble. I would guesstimate the clearance at 1". But let's face it...why do you need more power? This car is stink fast as it sits and the only two limiting factors are tire grip and the nut behind the wheel! I recently ran 140MPH at Fontana in 4th gear at 5500 rpm with lots of power left and another gear to go....and no guts! There is no place in North America you can run beyond that short of Bonneville, or maybe a quick sub 10 second blast at the drag strip. I spend most of my time trying to keep OFF the throttle to keep traction under control. Superchargers are cool...also loud, expensive, unreliable, and in this case totally unnecessary. I had one and blew 3 short blocks with it. I'm just sayin'...
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom, If the Clearance is 1" to the cover, its going to be close. I think you said you added a spacer to the F5 Motor Mounts. My thought process was to go the other way and go with a shorter motor mount. While this will give me problems with the J-Pipe and Headers supplied, I was going to change that setup regardless to put in a cross-pipe. The Supercharger with its own packaged intake is only about 1.375 over the cover of the stock coyote.

I have a long history with Superchargers working on Eaton's application on the Thunderbird S/C 3.8L V-6.
    I will be putting in the Aluminator -A50SC version of the Coyote which is upgraded from the Stock Mustang Version for High Performance Applications. Upgraded with Mahle Hard Anodized forged pistons with Graphal low friction coating & Manley H-beam connecting rods

The Stock Coyote which is tuneable upwards of 450 HP was not designed for race use. They even discourage the use of Tuners in the Stock Version even though its the #1 aftermarket seller. I hear their Tear-down Bay at the plant is full of this kind of return. The Supercharger I am running is low boost 7 PSI.The A50SC is a lower compression by 1.5 points, and will have both more potential, and more of a safety margin. It will give me a chance to try out the technology and if its too much for the car, I will swap it out with a "Stock" Version or a return from the plant and put the S/C version into the next project.

Since I was going half way with the upgraded internals with the Aluminator, I figured I would just cap it off with the S/C.

I see you did it right with your Oil setup as this is the first improvement on the Boss Engines.

So...... Tell me more about these Hood Bubbles in case my hard thought out Engineering using Factory Five's "Rough Numbers" Doesn't Work out.........lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Just another thing to think about...even with the Moroso low profile oil pan and 3/8" motor mount spacers the oil pan is right at the bottom of the frame rails. Any lower and you may have an unwanted surprise at a speed bump...
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a couple of turbos in the exhaust system down lower like someone else previously did, then your hood clearance issue should disappear?
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that would definitely work and, unlike anywhere else in the coupe, there is plenty of room in front of the foot boxes for twin turbos, and plumbing for the intercooler would be a challenge but possible...
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Well for 1" of Clearance that doesn't sound like much of a fix. There is a reason that Shelby and Aftermarket Tuners prefer S/C Setups on a Coyote.

If it doesn't work out, I will stuff it into a 69 Fastback and rescue a Tear down PowerPlant for the Coupe, just upgrade the rods, pistons and valves and bearings. The next generation Coyote is getting rid of the Steel Piston bore sleeves and going to a hardened coating on the aluminum bores. Will be interesting to see how that works out. I know they are working on it right now. That will be another weight reduction.

So Tom what are you using to Stop that Rocket. I have heard so many different opinions on setups. I figure you would know best from first hand experience throwing it around the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have AP Racing 4 piston calipers front and mustang cobra rears with the wilwood pedal box. I am using currently Hawk DTC-60 racing pads. Brakes are excellent but I have struggled with pedal getting soft after 4-5 hot laps at speed (140 mph braking down to 20 mph at Fontana super speedway). I believe I have isolated the problem to the front brake line running very near the 90 deg bend in the left j-pipe on the lower portion of the front frame rail. Were I doing this again I would reposition the brake line. For now I have wrapped j-pipe and header in asbestos wrap and fashioned a heat shield. I will see next track day how this works out. See earlier post and photos for brake and ducting photos.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456