FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Splash Guards Needed Before Fitting Doors, Trunk and Hood

Post Thanks / Like

Splash Guards Needed Before Fitting Doors, Trunk and Hood

I have another question prior to installing the body on the car. Should I install the front and or rear splash guards before trying to fit up the doors (and hood and trunk lid)? The manual does not imply that it is necessary and I have seen various comments in the forums. Thoughts?

Also, for the elephant ears, do they attach to the front or the back of the F-panel tab?

Thanks.
    Dan

Mark IV. Pick up April 1, 2011. Complete Kit, 3 link, 3.31 rear, 347 Stroker with Powerjection III EFI, Tremec TKO600. Build completed March 1, 2014. See build info at : http://www.roadster.mightypirates.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    The fronts come into play but the rear ones really dont. I attach 'em to the forward edge of the F.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Jeff - the front splash guards push the body out somewhat, so that could affect the fit of the doors at their leading edge or along the bottom. The rear splash guards don't move the body much, but may somewhat support it, so I guess there could be a little impact on the rear portion of the door openings as the body could sag somewhat if not completely supported in the position it will be in once mounted for good.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll probably notice the biggest difference at the side-pipe outlets with the elephant ears, so trim that area too before paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add a little. On the "F" panel to elephant ears joint, don't put one crease into the other crease so you have two inches of overlap. Only overlap the one inch flange on each piece. this has the effect of moving the inner portion of the splashguard to the rear which helps w/ tire clearance when the wheel is turned fully.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.