BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Possible 818 donor?

Post Thanks / Like

Possible 818 donor?

I have been driving past an outback wagon everyday when I pick my daughter up from the babysitter. The owner has it in front of his yard with the front clip missing, and no sign or anything. Have not seen it move in a month or two.

Car has a hole in the hood possible turbo model? Thinking of knocking on his door if this can be used as a donor and the price is right. What should I be looking for?

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look on thr FFR site under what you need for the 818. Then see if the car has those parts. Deduct for what is missing and do the math. Good Luck.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Older Outbacks and Imprezas had scoops but not turbos. look for an XT badge which would be a sure sign it is a turbo car. IIRC the XT came out in 05 and you could get it with a 5 speed or an auto. If by chance the car is a 5 speed turbo you should be able to make it work but it would be a shame to cut up such a cool outback.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    1995-1999 Outback are very close to 'single donors'. There will be small differences, but at this point we can't say exactly what.

The 1996-1999 Outbacks had a hood scoop, but were a normally aspirated 2.5 liter DOHC 4 cylinder of about 165HP.

All Outbacks beyond 1999 (2000+) are only partial donors as the rear suspension is no longer of the same design. If a 2000+ Outback has a (OEM) hood scoop it is a 2.5 liter turbo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll Stop by today then and get the year. If its not turbo and 5spd I will not waste my time. Was not planning an 818 soon but if the price is right could hav eme the donor

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I'll Stop by today then and get the year. If its not turbo and 5spd I will not waste my time. Was not planning an 818 soon but if the price is right could hav eme the donor

stack
    Just keep in mind that if it IS turbo w/5 speed it will be a 2005+, so that means sourcing the rear, and some of the front, suspension seperately.