Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: $1700 donor in NJ needs head gasket

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

$1700 donor in NJ needs head gasket

A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    NIce one, wish it was a manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru quoted me for $1700 or $1800 to do the head gaskets on my legacy so just take that into account. im sure it could be done cheaper and since you are already pulling the engine you might be able to take it to someone and get a major discount if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "The hood and roof have dings from parking under a tree and having acorns falling on it."

Wow, those must be some acorns!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do HG yourself for $300 (full seal kit) if you reuse head bolts. If you buy new head bolts, add another $100 or so.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    most of the time you might as well do the timing and other belts while they are off. also the valve cover gaskets, they are know too leak but they are only $20 to $30 for the whole set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what I've read, the head gasket is a potential problem area if not done correctly. The gasket sealing area has to be checked to make sure there are no imperfections otherwise you will more than likely experience another leaky head gasket. While I know I can send the heads out (if I do a head gasket myself), not sure how to make sure the cylinders are perfect. This is something I'd want to research carefully before I do the work myself.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval_bowtie_guy View Post
    Based on what I've read, the head gasket is a potential problem area if not done correctly. The gasket sealing area has to be checked to make sure there are no imperfections otherwise you will more than likely experience another leaky head gasket. While I know I can send the heads out (if I do a head gasket myself), not sure how to make sure the cylinders are perfect. This is something I'd want to research carefully before I do the work myself.
    For those engine it was just a bad headgasket design. They made a new one after finding out it was no good and no ones had problems with the new headgaskets.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a 200,000 motor, you should plan on an entire rebuild etc... You can't seriously build a beautiful new sports car and put band aids on a 200,000 mile motor... EVERYTHING is worn at 200K :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    The seller isn't selling for $1700. necessarily. The bidding starts at $1700. Now don't forget shipping, and the engine rebuild. I agree that with 200K on the engine, time for a full rebuild. It would be interesting to see how this auction ends.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really a good candidate at that price point if you ask me. All donor parts are pretty well worn. I would find a younger model at even twice the price.
    Just my educated opinion. Theres a reason lots of people no longer go the donor route with the roadster. The donors are just too old. At least the 87-93.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The rebuild gasket kit includes every gasket for the entire motor (except uppipe to Turbo and down pipe gaskets). The bad hg design was pre 02, but I don't recall the exact date.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports