Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor back at home....finally

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Donor back at home....finally

ok so a few weeks ago I picked up this donor in Orlando...seller said it just needed a center diff.... well, picked it up a drop it off at Wayne's and we put it on the lift.... yup...not only did it need a new center diff, but the LARGE HOLE in the side of the tranny needed to be filled....so with that I had to get home back in Huntsville so I left the car with Wayne (thanks for storing it for me).

Fast forward two weeks...ran back down to the shop on Friday and Wayne had filled the hole and I brought required bearings and such....One full day at it and full check all around to repair inop right window, way too loud blow-off valve, alignment check, fixed the A/C, and fix the hood latch. A short test drive - for both of us

Fill the gas tank and BACK to Huntsville! 275 mile, 4hours and 40 minutes.... I made it home!! Car started of with a shake in the steering wheel, but it disappeared after an hour (tires must have been square).... a couple of funny things I still need to fix...the 4-way flashers just started flashing about 20 minutes into the trip???? Wiper fluid sprayer isn't working, and there is a "clunk" in the back of the car when going over bumps that sounds like the spare tire is loose, but it isn't...although the right rear wheel is at -3 camber.

The car has 150,000+ miles and runs STRONG. Got 25 MPG running 75-78 for 4+ hours. The seats are quite comfortable and I think I now plan to use stock seats. I guess I am saying...Subaru... I am impressed! I would have no problem using this engine in my kit at all!!! Once I get the last few things fixed...I am going to use this thing as my DD...too nice to take apart....well maybe

Home at last (THANKS TO WAYNE PRESLEY!)

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 12-15-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find Erik. I know you say this is too nice to take apart, but be truthful to yourself. Once your kit gets here, that car will come apart in a heartbeat.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I have found while driving my Donor. I cannot seem to get the seat far enough back to be comfortable and still be able to depress the clutch. I feel like I am very close to the steering wheel. But when I move the seat back, I find myself grinding gears. Think I need a block on my clutch pedal. Brake and gas are fine.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    on mine the clutch engages and disengages right at the very top of the throw. I too feel like I am close to the wheel though...being a non-wokie...also too my the brake seems to be a little to far to the right...but all little stuff...I kinda do like it . Was doing some reading about the 4-way flashing...I guess when I changed the battery it set off some factory alarm that needs to be reset...I guess we'll see...so fix that, investigatethe "clunck" and camber issue in the left rear, a cut and buff...should be good to go!

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the donor, another step foward

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm Mine engages very close to the floor.
    Maybe mine is newer or yours is worn out?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good catch! I called on the same car the day after you bought it. Timing is everything. Good luck with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    My clutch also engages close to the floor, and whats with the washer, mine won't work either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine doesnt work either. Will try the one in my second donor and swap it if that one works.,

Post Thanks / Like
    went back out..mine is the same as yours....push all the way to the floor to get into gear and almost all the way back to engage the clutch...windshield washer fixed...the secondary clunk in the rear was a broken strut!! ordered a new one...fixed the 4-ways...and ran the buffer around the car for few hours and detailed it all out....not bad lookin at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    My 02 likes the clutch pedal on the floor and almost all the way out to engage as well. My 06 didn't require nearly as much travel. It was also a push style clutch vs a pull (on the 02-05).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Erik,

I think it's funny that you and guys like Mike are finding these cars that are so nice you have second thoughts about tearing them down. It's sort of like this 2004 40th edition mustang my son found. It was bought to flip but he and his wife don't want to let it go. That's one advantage to the donor pallet. That way there is no anxiety about the destruction of a good car. But I'm sure you will make the right decision when the time comes. Having an 818 to introduce the donor into is a pretty good incentive to go ahead. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I already bought a donor to replace my donor. Who knew I would like a Subaru so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 02 pull style clutch does engage later, with some adjustment it gets a little better, but the 06 style is right at the top and easier to engage, just a better design really. I will be sourcing a 06 tranny down the road, but will use the 02 one to get it on the road. Hopefully we will be able to fit a sti in their, I will try once i can measure it all out and fabricate a new mounting bracket etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    welp... just bought donor #2.... this one is another 02 and it won't be flipped...well it was...but I won't...lol...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey you wanna sell that.

Jk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Hey you wanna sell that.

Jk
    everything is for sale!