Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Evan's '33 Build #497

Post Thanks / Like

Yrmv

Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    It sure does, I drove it down to my local muffler shop to try and figure what to do with these ridiculous mufflers that come with the kit. I will probably swap them out with some Magnaflows.
    Evan
    The Magnaflow I found that was the best for my goals was the MF11255 It's still going to be loud enough for a good sound based on having the same size MF behind my 408 stroker in the Dakota R/T. I added resonators behind that one on the truck but I will wait and see on the 33 how the hemi stroker sounds since there is minimal room for reso's with my rear fuel tank.

It was the biggest that will fit in the 33 chassis in the factory location and had the best offsets for inlet and outlet
    to minimize changes to the exhaust path. It also had the right size I/O for my combo.
    HTH
    Dale
    Last edited by myjones; 04-18-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Evan
    The Magnaflow I found that was the best for my goals was the MF11255 It's still going to be loud enough for a good sound based on having the same size MF behind my 408 stroker in the Dakota R/T. I added resonators behind that one on the truck but I will wait and see on the 33 how the hemi stroker sounds since there is minimal room for reso's with my rear fuel tank.

It was the biggest that will fit in the 33 chassis in the factory location and had the best offsets for inlet and outlet
    to minimize changes to the exhaust path. It also had the right size I/O for my combo.
    HTH
    Dale
    Thanks For the info Dale. That is the second time I have seen someone switch to that particular part #. I may give it a go, anything has got to sound better than what I have. I am also tired of choking on fiberglass dust in the air, dont think my lungs can take any more abuse.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan, the fiberglass is just about gone from my mufflers and I am running tailpipes so my situation is a little different than yours but I will say after finishing the trunk the car is getting quieter. Hope to have the interior matted and carpeted this week so I am anxious to see how the car sounds after that with the FF mufflers. If not looks like the M/F would be a great choice.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put a set of resonator tips on my 33 after the ffr mufflers. Very quiet unless you hammer the throttle. Cruises nice too.

33089.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wallace, don't get me wrong fellers, I want to make my presence known. It sounds okay at cruising speeds, once I slam the throttle it gets wickedly raspy, a little too much for my taste. I would rather have a more tuned muscle car sound than Nascar if you know what I mean. Couple that with choking on fiberglass, not my cup of tea as they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a minor setback today. I am trying to get the last few items taken care of before the show and I was on my way back from the muffler shop and I thought I spun a bearing or??? The car started running extremely rough and the car sounded terrible. My mind went to a terrible place and I expected the worst. When I got home I pulled the valve covers and noticed that one of the rocker arms on the #6 cylinder spun off of the pushrod. Hopefully it didn't cause any permanent damage, at this point it doesn't appear to be the case. I'm glad it happened while I was close to home and not on the way to Huntington Beach on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. Hope all is well.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a minor setback today. I am trying to get the last few items taken care of before the show and I was on my way back from the muffler shop and I thought I spun a bearing or??? The car started running extremely rough and the car sounded terrible. My mind went to a terrible place and I expected the worst. When I got home I pulled the valve covers and noticed that one of the rocker arms on the #6 cylinder spun off of the pushrod. Hopefully it didn't cause any permanent damage, at this point it doesn't appear to be the case. I'm glad it happened while I was close to home and not on the way to Huntington Beach on Saturday.
    That sucks, I hope no other damage occurred. Didn't you find a loose rocker arm previously?

Post Thanks / Like
    You will make HB!!! Just trailer if you have to!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    That sucks, I hope no other damage occurred. Didn't you find a loose rocker arm previously?
    You are correct Boz, I pulled the valve covers after I bought the motor and before I fired it up and noticed two rockers were turned. I believe that was done on purpose possibly to check the lift of the cam. I should have it back together this afternoon. I was so bummed yesterday and thought I was done for the show. Hopefully everything will go smooth today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    You will make HB!!! Just trailer if you have to!
    I will be there one way or another Erik.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, tragedy averted. I was lucky enough that the rocker arm didnt get damaged and neither did the valve. A buddy of mine came over and we adjusted the valves again. We found that some of the poly-locks weren't as tight as they probably should have been. During the day, I decided that a new exhaust wasn't in the cards right now so I used the FFR supplied side exit pipes and used them to make some muffler turndowns. So after adjusting the valves, I took the car for a spin and what a difference. The sound was deadened enough to take the droan noise away and the tighter valve train seemed to work well. Huntington Beach....Here I come.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it was something minor. Have fun at HB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan, that's good news. I have a set of those turndowns if for some reason you need another set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas. Thanks Boz, I will definietly keep that in mind. I will eventually swap out the mufflers for a better quality unit but in the meantime it sounds 100% better than before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the FFR show in Huntington Beach was a blast. The car ran amazing. It stayed cool all the way down and back and everything on the car felt great. Nothing beats 80 mph in the fast lane in fifth gear and 2000 rpm, the car just hummed down the road. Now on to the next items on the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm jealous. Looks like a blast !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good Evan, I see you made the video also.

Nevin
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 04-29-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan, it was great to see your 33 at the event. There were quite a few 33's in attendance this year, come on back next year.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I didn't realize I made the video Nevin, I will have to check it out. Thanks Doug, I will definitely be there next year, I had a great time checking out the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face HB coverage

Evan,
    Check out the coverage of HB by the 'Rod Authority' web site, they have quite a few pictures of your Hot Rod in there.

http://www.rodauthority.com/event-co...ntington-beach
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
    Evan,
    Check out the coverage of HB by the 'Rod Authority' web site, they have quite a few pictures of your Hot Rod in there.

http://www.rodauthority.com/event-co...ntington-beach
    Thanks for the heads up Nevin. Very cool.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the trunk lid fitted today but the latch still needs to go in. I also started fitting the hardtop. The trunk sheet metal has to wait until I get the roll bars welded in. The Boyd tank has to come out to check the sending unit. The gauge isn't reading accurate and I have reprogrammed the ohm setting about ten times. The sending unit might be getting hung up inside the tank. I banged on the outside of the tank and it moved up a bit but it is reading about 3/4 when its full. Hopefully its a simple fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the FF fuel sending unit? Or does the Boyd tank use a different sender? Looks like your top sits high in the center (rear) like mine did. Are you planning on reinforcing the trunk floor?

Looked at the HB pics, didn't realize you were driving at freeway speeds with no trunk. If she felt good that way I bet she's gonna be really great with all the panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Boyd tank uses a different sending unit, one that drops in the top of the tank. It does sit high Boz. Do you think its necessary to add material to the bottom side of the top? If I use the draw hasp latches I bought like Erik it should pull the body up a bit to meet the top. Some of that gap will be taken up with the weather strip. My only concern would be the trunk lid alignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there's a zillion ways to do these cars, which is why each one is so different. I secured the body to the upper frame mount in the trunk so moving the body up with latches really wouldn't work for me. I ended up adding several strips of progressively wider glass strips to the bottom of the top. To be honest the amount I added was sort of a guess but it turned out darn near perfect. I did all my top fitting without the weatherstrip. My thought was that if it fit well without the weatherstrip it would fit better with it and in my experience that was the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense Boz. The top fits good on the passenger side but high in the middle and toward the drivers side. I do need to do some grinding but I will have to reasses it after I do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering if you ever resolved the problem with the fuel tank reading. I have the same problem reading about 3/4 when full.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know Brett, I haven't. I took a break from working on the car. I am getting ready to weld in a dual hoop roll bar setup and will pull the tank then. I spoke with Boyd welding regarding the issue and was told more than likely the sending unit is hanging up inside the tank somewhere. If I find out for sure, I will be sure to let you know and please if you come across something let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do. Part of the problem is that i am not filling the tank completely because if i do, i have gas sloshing around in the filler (rubber) hose which i worry about gas spilling in my trunk. Even so it should be reading 90% instead of 75.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem of gas leaking from the cap. I tightened the nut on the underside of the cap and got the o ring to seat better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a finish to this thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha....that is too funny Jeff. The car has been in its current state for the better part of a year. I have been driving it and working out the mechanical bugs. I decided that I better get my butt in gear and finish it. I had a couple roll bar hoops bent up and am getting ready to weld those in. I also purchased the paint. I am going with PlastiDip and the color will be Stormcloud Gray. I would like to get it finished before the next Huntington Beach show but don't think it will happen due to my schedule. Thanks for your interest...I would like there to be a finish too. I will post pics as soon as I make some more progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it stops raining tonight I will deliver my '33 in the morning for prep of the doors, truck and top then I tear it apart for paint. It's funny to think I won't be going to the shop to work on it for next several days, I almost feel useless.
    Going for body prep 2.JPGGoing for body prep.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha....that is too funny Jeff. The car has been in its current state for the better part of a year. I have been driving it and working out the mechanical bugs. I decided that I better get my butt in gear and finish it. I had a couple roll bar hoops bent up and am getting ready to weld those in. I also purchased the paint. I am going with PlastiDip and the color will be Stormcloud Gray. I would like to get it finished before the next Huntington Beach show but don't think it will happen due to my schedule. Thanks for your interest...I would like there to be a finish too. I will post pics as soon as I make some more progress.
    Perfect, I have read the entire thread in preparation to start my build. Glad it didnt drop off to never-never land.
    Looking to see it completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes it kind of hard to get motivated to finish it when driving it it so fun. I need to quit driving and blow it apart for final body work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Such a cool looking car from the 3/4 and 1/4 angles. Mean looking too. Can't wait to see it at the show again!

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been really fun to drive, when I can get the time. I am going to push to get 'er done for the show but we will see. Priorities have shifted a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read all thread, really like it! Lots of info and good ideas for my build.
    Evan, hope you have some time to post more progress. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Freak View Post
    I have read all thread, really like it! Lots of info and good ideas for my build.
    Evan, hope you have some time to post more progress. Good Luck!
    Thanks Motor Freak...I am going to get back on the build shortly. I just had some parts machined by a buddy of mine for my dual hoop roll bar. I purchased the paint...I'm using rubber dip spray (Plastidip) in Storm cloud Gray. I will post pics of the machined parts shortly. Thanks for reading my build thread and I look forward to following your progress.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast