Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thoughts on using a BCM

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on using a BCM

I have seen the ISIS modular BCM type system, but has anyone considered using an '07-'08 C6 BCM? It appears that this would get most all of the creature comforts, lights, windows (including bump down), stereo, navi, keyless entry/start, etc. Maybe even the gage panel can be adapted. All it would take is a heavily totalled C6 to get all of the electronic modules at a somewhat reasonable cost. Thoughts? Am I just dreaming here?

About to pull the trigger on a GEN2......

Post Thanks / Like
    If I am not mistaken, Ted has done this on a customer car and may be doing this for others in the future. You may want to talk to him. His handle is LS MAN.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    You can find it under "pretty cool build" on the other forum. We used the BCM, instrument cluster, & heads up display, & keyless entry modules out of a 04 C5. If you wanted to use a C6, you would need the PCM also. the C6 is a genIV engine (ls 3,7), with the 58x reluctor. I would think that you could use most of the C6 donor parts, engine, & source the needed C5 stuff separate. Would be interesting, but you would be in uncharted waters, as I don't think anyone has tried it. I would be willing to help, as I think it would be a good challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks LS Man. I found it. Very impressive! I was thinking along similar lines for some of the body work, too! I like the hood type front end with a Jag XJ220 air exit. I'l be doing a lot of reading this weekend.....LOL

I was thinking of using the LS7 from an '07-'08 Z06. I was also looking to use the center console screen for the climate control, Navi, and backup camera from the '07-'08 Z06. The dash will need to modded to get the realestate, and perhaps the 2 chassis members that go from the tunnel to the dash crossmember (mount the shifter and key switch). But I think the integration would be worth the hassle.
    Last edited by tnrcboatracer; 03-04-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If we were to do it again I would either do exactly what you are describing or go as simple as possible. If you decide to do the C6 plan, LS man will have to be your new best friend. The knowledge and workmanship he brings to the table is priceless. I have built and wired many cars but when you start having multiple computers and high dollar electronic components that have to talk to each other in a strange environment, you need someone in your corner that understands more than the average bear. That person is LS Man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks sk7500, I'll be talking alot with LS Man once this thing kicks off. Did you happen to pull any molds while you were remaking the body parts. Specifically the hood. I also love the rear exhaust exits you put in your build. I'll be ding a Gen2, so the front air inlet tratment is a bit different. I also see that you shaved the door handles; I plan to use a C6 type door handle. I have worked woth CF/Epoxy for may years, and will probably wind up making a bunch of molds for components along the way. As for the seats, do you think the C6 power seats can be made to fit, or is that just too much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are a little short guy, and don't want to be able to sell that car to anyone of "normal" size, the donor seat idea is OUT!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I studied the process of adding as much of the Corvettes systems into my build as possible. I am getting close to the wiring stage. I came to the conclusion that the best way to do this is to transplant the entire, intact wiring harness into the GTM. So I removed my donor from around my harness and kept it intact down to the last termination and labeled everything. To keep it "simple" everything needs to remain as in the corvette. Meaning I'm not doing any engine mods etc. Doing it this way technically alleviates having to actually wire the GTM. Meaning the system has been engineered and I don't have to. The issues will be finding places to mount modules and fuse boxes, extending wires and redoing the dash to accommodate the corvette gauge cluster. At this point the emissions evap canister and blower is mounted and the EBTCM is mounted and plumbed into the brake system. The evap canister was mounted in normally unused space behind the driver side fuel tank and the EBTCM is up front. I will have to remove the four bolts in order to place the battery.

If you can't visit FFR you may want to find an owner near you and ask if you can see their GTM. Getting in and out is an art and it helps to see if you fit and will have any issues getting in/out.
    Last edited by VD2021; 03-05-2011 at 07:56 AM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I didn't think that the donor seats would work, but wanted to check it out. I had a lowered 300ZXTT and it was interesting to get into and out of. I'm right at 6' and 195, so I'd say average height and build.

VD2021, I am looking at a 2007-8 Z06 for the donor, so I don't think I will need much in the way of motor work on the LS7. I do plan to use a separate dry sump system, so I will need to find some realestate for the tank. I was thinking of that spot behind the driver fuel tank for the separator/tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tnrcboatracer View Post
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I didn't think that the donor seats would work, but wanted to check it out. I had a lowered 300ZXTT and it was interesting to get into and out of. I'm right at 6' and 195, so I'd say average height and build.

VD2021, I am looking at a 2007-8 Z06 for the donor, so I don't think I will need much in the way of motor work on the LS7. I do plan to use a separate dry sump system, so I will need to find some realestate for the tank. I was thinking of that spot behind the driver fuel tank for the separator/tank.
    I believe the BUS used in the corvette changed in the C6 and I'm not familiar with it. But it should work as long as you include all of the modules required for the system to function. LSMAN is the duty expert.

I'm 70" and 235. I have 27" quads. I've competed in body building and continue to hit the weights. Once in the drivers seat its a nice fit. My issue was getting my leg under the steering wheel. I was able to do it. I have added a NGR slim quick release to my steering wheel to alleviate this. So It's not that its low, but that the opening is cut short by a frame. member and the roof is low. Look for some pictures of a GTM with the body on and the door open/or off and you'll see what I'm referring to. The car stands around 42" off the ground. If you search you may find a clip of someone getting in or out. If I fit you will. HTHs.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .