Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,280 of 1342

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike brought home a different tool last night. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I doubt I will today, but maybe Sunday. It looks like the right thing, but I'm not feeling confident. Eep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure that this is the tool type you use the jaw type will destroy the balancer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRO-PNEUMA...-/350869425218

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Are you guys using a Style track system from March? Just curious cause I used the same system and it came with the correct front cover and water pump its a short water pump and cover from a 94-95 mustang.

Don't forget you will need to loosen the oil pan and there for will need a pan gasket (maybe just the front portion) and a damper seal unless you have a 1 pc silicon pan gasket then you can reuse it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone should've maybe mentioned that it's completely impossible to remove a balancer from an engine. Any suggestions on how to undo the bolt in the center? I tried with a ratchet. I could've stood on it and jumped up and down. Not even a millimeter of movement. So Mike told me to try the big scary power tool that makes a lot of noise (ratchet something maybe?). It vibrated and I shrieked. I held it on, but it smelled funny and nothing was happening except my hands were going numb. Mike stopped what he was doing (working on my truck - wiper fluid things not working) and held the scary tool in place. After a few seconds he admitted it wasn't going to work. He had me thread long screws in two of the holes so I could wedge a socket extension thingy in there while he tried to loosen (he was just cranking over the engine before), but that didn't work. He got out the handle of the floor jack and tried to use that, but his brute strength and extra leverage were no match for my pitifulness. It was getting late and we gave up for the evening. He says he has a couple more ideas, but I'm pretty sure this is not humanly possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to remove the starter nor do I want to use an even scarier air ratchet-mabob.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always had success with the impact wrench (the BIG scary power tool). Maybe some heat since it sounds like it may have loc-tite on it.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Doug. I guess I'll start the begging process now to see if I can convince Mike to use the big scary power tool instead of me. I shrieked and whined the entire time I used the less scary one yesterday. I really didn't like it. Any suggestions if that (and heat) doesn't work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    Thanks, Doug. I guess I'll start the begging process now to see if I can convince Mike to use the big scary power tool instead of me. I shrieked and whined the entire time I used the less scary one yesterday. I really didn't like it. Any suggestions if that (and heat) doesn't work?
    Heat the bolt head with a oxygen acetylene torch and then hit it with the impact gun but be careful not to snap the bolt head off
    Otherwise things will really suck from there the bolt is likely higher than grade 8 and pretty tough to drill out.
    Complete engine disassembly will likely be needed to have a machine shop drill out the crank bolt and re tap it, hope it works out. If you can't get it out call the engine builder and ask for another method or help if he is local. Don't force it with a pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with HCP 65 COUPE that you should contact whoever assembled the harmonic balancer, aka crank pulley, to the snout of the crankshaft. Find out if they did, indeed, use Loctite, and if so, what kind (red or blue). Find out if they used a torque wrench or an impact wrench to tighten the bolt. And find out what torque value they used if they did use a torque wrench.

It's all good information to have... Some to help you get it apart; some to help you put it back together; and some to let you evaluate how sharp your engine builder really is.

All just my opinion. Hope it helps.
    Trout <º{{{><

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
    Al Einstein

Coupe S/N 377 Purchased April 4, 2008 from John Cameron, Agua Dulce, CA

Photobucket site:http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/a...20in%20Tucson/

The Plan: 398 ci Cleveland, CHI Heads & Intake, Crane Roller Lifters, T&D Rockers, Ferrea Valves, TKO600, Quicktime Bellhousing, IRS, 3.55, Torsen, FuelSafe, ISIS, Kirkeys, Konis, 17" Team III LT-III, Wilwood triple m/c & pedals, Orange w/ Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent Mike a couple pictures that I've asked him to post. I have a question. What is the difference between those two timing covers?

Ok, so we went out in the garage to get the balancer off. I refuse to use scary, shaky tools so I was extremely hopeful Mike would handle the air impact-ma-bob. He would've been more than happy to except he realized he had taken it to work and left it there. Well that was a quick fail. We decided to go to the store and replace it (work could buy the old one since they clearly need one). It was a smidge frustrating to find Home Depot doesn't keep air tools down the same aisle as non-air tools. I ended up having to ask and she looked at me like I was stupid for not realizing they were on aisle 17 (had to ask for pneumatic since my speech impediment is obnoxious and I can't say "air"). Found one, paid, left. Oh, we also tried to find the correct impact socket, but of course they didn't have it.

So we get home and turn on the air compressor. I unbox the thing, but can't remove the protective cap so it's back to Mike. He gets it all ready to go and discovers the socket doesn't fit. I guess there is a difference in size if it has lots of little thingies inside versus just enough thingies to be shaped like the bolt head. What we had was rounding the edges and apparently that isn't a good fashion statement for a bolt. He seemed to have been expecting that, but trying to find one that did fit was frustrating. He eventually did and the nut zoomed right off. Yay! Now what? Oh yeah, get the balancer off. I got washers and he connected the puller. I started by using a ratchet/socket, but that only lasted about a turn before I realized I didn't have the strength. I could essentially stand on the thing and make straining noises, but to no avail. Mike walked over and barely touched it and it moved. Unfortunately, it seemed to be bending the tool rather than removing the harmonic balancer. Mike tried lots of things but eventually got it off. Yay!!!!! Super yay!!!!

I was told I'd need to remove the bolts from the timing cover. Okay. Wait, he didn't mention each one was a different size (some possibly being metric). He tried to pry off the timing cover, but it wasn't releasing. Didn't take him too long to realize I'm an idiot and can't be trusted. Two bolts were still attached way down under in a stupid place where no sane person would've looked. Those two were a different size from the other different sizes and I almost couldn't find anything to fit. I couldn't use a wrench because the edge of the oil pan was too close to the edge of the bolt so I had to use extra thin tools. I'm probably the only woman in the history of the universe to stand in the garage and scream at her husband that he needs to buy more tools. Why don't we have a full set of sockets? Why don't we have two full sets just in case one set is in use? My tantrum ended when I finally got the bolts out. The timing cover came off much more easily after that. The gasket, however, didn't come off all in one piece so Mike told me to put rags along the edge of the oil pan or I'd be pulling the pan later. Hell no. I also took that moment to point out that I would never rebuild the engine. If something went wrong, we were buying me a new crate engine. I don't care if we can afford it or not. I will never remove a timing cover or balancer ever again (technically Mike removed them both, but I deserve some credit because I'm pretty sure I evil glared them into submission).

Mike ran to the store and left me all by my lonesome to razor blade the gasket particles off. He advised me that I'd be doing this all over again if I didn't do a good job because something called a "water jacket" (I think?) would cause serious problems if the new gasket wasn't adhered properly. I'll adhere something...

So there I am all alone in the garage, sitting in my engine compartment, scraping away little blue remnants. Cars were driving by behind and I was pondering the universe. I wonder if anyone else has scraped off gasket. Of course. I wonder how many of the people behind me have ever done this. I wonder if I can damage anything with the razor blade. Probably. Scrape, scrape, scrape. I wonder how many women have done this. I'll bet most wives are doing laundry or their nails or cooking and I'm sitting in an engine bay. Odd. I'll bet other women would look down on me for this. I'll just hide if any approach. Lots of other random thoughts and then I finished and Mike came home a couple minutes later and he actually seemed impressed. Yay!!!! Of course it was dark by then and his vision isn't really good anyway. We'll see what he says when he gets closer to it in daylight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic. IMG_1017.JPG
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    I sent Mike a couple pictures that I've asked him to post. I have a question. What is the difference between those two timing covers?
    Almost nothing, really. The one on the right looks a little better reinforced/stiffened, but they are both SBF timing covers. Flip them over, though, is there much difference then? Neither looks like they have a fuel pump boss, so are for late-model Windsor engines, the one on the right would be interesting to see if the fuel pump eccentric hits those little tits cast into it.
    Closer look shows the one on the right looks to be cast as a reverse rotation water pump, like a late-model Explorer? Like this from the front?
    Last edited by NukeMMC; 11-03-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They use totally different water pumps. image.jpeg
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    One of them uses the standard 5.0/302 water pump whether clockwise or counter clockwise rotation pump. The other uses the short style pump used on the 94/95 Mustang and the 5.0 Thunderbirds from the 90's.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while but I finally got caught up . . .

Quote: "One of them uses the standard 5.0/302 water pump whether clockwise or counter clockwise rotation pump. <-- the one on the left.
    Other quote: "The other uses the short style pump used on the 94/95 Mustang and the 5.0 Thunderbirds from the 90's. <-- the one on the right.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea which rotation will work for me, but I did find the gasket the other night. Woo hoo! Now I just need some gasket goop to glop all over the place. I'm sure Mike knows what's what, but I have no clue so I'll defer to him on what to buy (assuming we don't already have it). Hoping to do that soon so I can put all the fun blingy stuff on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie,

The rotation of the pump will be decided by your belt path around all your front end accessories. If the belt wraps around every pulley on the outside, then your pump is rotating in the same direction as your crankshaft (counter-clockwise).

If the belt snakes thru and around your pulleys and basically looks like a backwards "S" as it wraps around the crankshaft and water pump, then it is a reverse rotation pump (it spins clockwise).

FWIW, all references to rotation (clockwise, counter-clockwise) or orientation (left, right) are from the drivers seat . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 11-19-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize this is supposed to be helpful and to the average human it is (I especially appreciate the part with the "backwards s"). You are speaking my language. You lost me at drivers seat. I was mentally standing at the front of the car looking at the engine and then you switched on me so now I'm dizzy. It's like I'm laying under the car trying to figure out what righty tighty lefty lucy is now. Hee, hee. Okay, so maybe after reading it a couple more times, I get it. It'll probably help to actually get the gasket and pump and other assorted blingy doohickeys on. Thanks!!!!! Okay, I've read it a couple more times. Do you know what makes no sense to me? Reverse rotation is clockwise. Reverse is clockwise. Who thought of that?! Is time going backwards because a clock spins clockwise? Oh my aching brain. I haven't had coffee yet (or a donut which sounds really good, but I don't have any).

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy version for serpentine belts (flat belt with 5 or 7 grooves not old school V shaped belt). If the water pump pulley has grooves the grooved side of the belt will drive it in normal rotation. If the pulley is smooth the back of the belt drives it and it is reverse rotation. Pick the pump, get the correct pulley and route the belt accordingly.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'll give you that . . . now lets really confuse it.
    Standing at the front of the engine and facing toward the rear of the car, the passenger side of the car (on your left) is actually the right side of the car.
    Due to the firing order of your engine (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8), looking down at it from the front of the car, it spins clockwise . . . but since all rotational references are from the drivers seat (at the back of the engine) your engine spins counter-clockwise. My OLD single brain cell is starting to swell from exhaustion here.

IF you are using the timing chain cover pictured on the left in post 1252, you can get pumps that spin either way but the belt path must be correct for the pump you get . . . an outside belt loop for a counter-clockwise (normal rotation) pump, that "backwards "S" belt path for a reverse rotation pump.
    Not knowing what accessories you are running up front, it's hard to steer you in any direction at this point in time . . . sure wish I lived close by.

That lefty-loosy, righty-tighty thing is a good reference - It works no matter where you are on the car.

Did you get the video??

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 11-19-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every project stalls a little at some point...but it has been a while. What's new? Just wanted to remind you that you have a lot of fans out here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops. Yeah. Um. No good excuses here. I don't know how to put the gasket sealer stuff on and I haven't bugged Mike to show me how. I can give you two excuses. 1) We spend a LOT of time at the cabin. 2) The time change makes it dark when we get up in the morning and dark by the time work is over. It's hard to get motivated to go in the garage when it's dark. The days are too short. I know. I need to just go out and grab the gasket stuff and start waving it around like a maniac which will scare Mike and he'll have to help me aim it in the correct direction. I'm not even sure which one to threaten him with, so maybe I'll grab all the tubes and containers of possible gasket adhesion substances and make a rainbow of potential destruction. We were discussing the coupe project with Dan this weekend and even Mike sounded motivated. Hopefully there will be an update by the end of the week, but I'm not going to make any promises.

Post Thanks / Like
    One problem is my commute. Its about 1.5 to 2.5 hours each way depending on what store I go to. When I get home at 6:30 or 7:30 and eat dinner, I am shot. During the summer I will be tricked into thinking its much earlier. LOL.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    I did stuff in the garage last night. Not much, but something. It felt really good to make the teensiest of progress. Mike said he'd help me tonight. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There will be an update Monday. Woo hoo!!!! Thanks Winchester67 for reminding me to get my butt out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there's no point waiting until Monday. Progress is slowly being made. Monday night I convinced Mike I was going to cause some serious problems if he didn't help me with the icky gasket stuff. He told me it wasn't that easy. Of course it's that easy. You rub the stuff all over, stick the gasket on and you're done. He "claims" I have to torque it down with bolts as soon as the gasket is applied and therefore I need to draw a little picture of the timing cover and water pump and figure out what size bolts are needed for each hole. Growl. This was not in the contract. My picture was horrible and my measurements probably atrocious. I made him double check a few. We had many of the bolts because of our fabulous bolt department (bulk purchase sometime in the past). A few were unavailable so he told me he'd go to McFadden Dale and get me some the next day. Awwww. So sweet. It felt good to actually make some progress. Dinner. Bed.

Work. I had errands to run at the end of the day so I accomplished those and threw myself in the shower. Imagine my surprise when I came down and discovered Mike was lost. Steve informed me Dad was in the garage so off I trotted. What a sweet man. Not only did he bring me carrot cake the other night to cheer me up, but he was out in the garage gasketing my engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched and then disappeared briefly. I returned to find he had bolted almost everything on. He told me to go ahead and put the oil pan bolts in. I was shocked when he pointed out there were four. I know I took them off and all, but where would four fit? I only see places for two. He probably rolled his eyes has he pointed under the lip of the pan, but I was busy watching his fingers, so I'm not certain. I imagine it doesn't surprise anyone that I was only able to get one bolt in. He did two others. The final one was back in my court and I tried repeatedly to stab the bolt up in the bottom hole on the passenger side. I could feel the opening with my finger, but the bolt simply refused to go in. I whined to Mike and he tried. Nope. Vengeance. Wait, I don't think that's the right word. Affirmation. I'm not a total idiot. He didn't get it instantly either. I suggested maybe raising the car on the lift so we could actually see something. Mike raised and I mushed under. It was an awkward height. If it had been lower, I couldn't have gotten under at all. If it had been higher, I would've been able to stand, but then we'd also have either a crushed car or a new floor hole in the upstairs room. I had to spread my legs super wide and hunch back like an expert limbo-er. What I discovered was that the stupid gasket edge was barely hanging into the hole and thwarting the bolt. Mike had given me a pointy dental scraping tool which caused me to cringe. I tried to cram it in there and rip out the offending mass, but I had about 6% strength and the metal on metal scraping when I'd hit the edge was causing my teeth to shudder. I ran back into the house and Mike came out to rescue me. He got the bolt in. Yay!!!!! Dinner. Bed.

Work. I once again had errands to run (don't get me started on the evil librarian). Uh oh. I'm being called back to the garage. I'll update more tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got home last night and discovered Mike was in the garage again. He was using every ounce of his strength to get the balancer back on. I thanked him and mentioned I was worried about trying to do it. Didn't think I could. He asked why not? I paused as I pondered my options. I could simply tell him I didn't think I was strong enough or I could make a sarcastic comment or perhaps find something humorous to say. When he was done moaning and huffing and puffing, I pointed out that was why. He admitted he wasn't even sure he'd be able to get it on. Hee, hee. (he did)

I hadn't actually planned on working on the car so I was a little surprised when he suggested I help. Oh, yeah. Um. Okay. I grabbed the directions which he immediately snagged to show me something I'd "enjoy". Never a good sign. He opened it up to a page with a perfect drawing of the timing cover and water pump. To add insult to injury, he also showed me where each bolt hole was labeled with the size of the needed bolt. I thought a few choice words, but probably said something more along the lines of gosh golly gee whiz.

In my attempt to find the studs (step one), I came across a bag of hardware. Imagine my surprise when Mike identified the bolts for the timing cover/water pump in that bag. Do you know how much time and effort would've been saved had I looked at the instructions on Monday?! Growl. That's okay. Think of it as mocking up. I was simply mocking up the timing cover and water pump. No big deal. ARGH!!!!!!!! I began the process of installing the studs and removing the old bolts to replace with the pretty blingy ones. The manual lies. Liar, liar pants on fire!!!!! Bolt "F" is NOT 1-1/2" long. I saved that one for last and then raced to Mike to inform him of my disagreement with the stupid thing. He took one look and told me I was right. There was no possible way it could be that short. I ended up leaving in the gold colored bolt Mike had purchased previously. I believe it was 3 or 4 inches. Jerks. Giving me bad info.

It took me quite awhile to find the brackets and spacers and such for the next step, but I eventually did. The new stuff is coming together nicely. I'm hoping to make some more progress tonight. I had a little issue last night while Mike was on the phone with a friend (so I couldn't drag him away to help me until it was late enough I didn't want to work anymore). The timing pokey thing confused the poo out of me (not literally). Which two bolt holes would work and which direction do you turn this thing. The little pointer should go somewhere near the balancer, but in which direction? Turn. Flip. Turn. Flip. Turn. Flip. Walk away. Once off the phone, Mike took about two seconds to decipher the horrid little part's correct trajectory and then took the time to show me how he figured it out (whatever, shut up - in a loving way). I managed to discern which spacers should be used and even found them in the hardware bag (yeah, so they were labeled and the directions were pretty clear). I'll need to find the bolts tonight (assuming I can get out there). If I can accomplish that task, the next will be super fun. I get to put the big, beautiful, blingy bracket on. It's going to look sooooooo pretty!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie,
    It is great to have you and Mike back working on the coupe. I have been off of the forum this week (I got married on Saturday) but now I am back reading your great posts. Remember, HB is only 12 weeks away!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    You got married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I demand (kindly) pictures!!!!!!! I love wedding pictures.

About that. Yeah. Um. Well. See. Um. I'm not going to HB this year (whimpering). There is a stupid business thing that has caused problems for Mike every year because they insist on doing it the exact seem weekend as HB. In the past, Mike has been able to fly out the same evening. Not so this year. On top of that, lil ole me has to go on the business trip as well. I talked to FF and BEGGED them to change the date of HB, but alas all my bribing and cajoling was for naught. Fingers crossed HB will work the next year, but actually it's less likely because the business thing switches coasts each year. Next year will be back east which makes it more difficult. I'm going to miss everyone and I'm really sad. Enough about me. Wedding pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will share them with you as soon as I get them from the photographer. Very sad to hear that you, Mike and the family will not be at the beach this year. Keep the entertaining build dialog going, it is always a good read.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    We finally broke down and sold the motorhome. It was a very sad day for me and I cried way more than I thought I would. I know it was for the best, but it was hard. In order to take my mind off of it, Mike offered to help me with the alternator in Coupey. Yay! That didn't last long. I couldn't find the right bolts and then I think I did, but something still isn't quite right. Mike was trying to help, but I was moody and sad and impatient. We were going to try again the next day, but that's where things went terribly wrong.

That's it for the story of Coupey for now. If that's all you're interested in, you can stop reading here. This is where I digress.

I've probably mentioned we inherited an '84 Buick Grand National a couple years back that was supposed to have been put on non-op, but the previous owner apparently did not. Mike fought DMV and got the fees reduced. I then put it on non-op status. It cannot be registered until we get it smogged. We can't smog it until we get it running again. Mike and Steve replaced the turbo, but never fully hooked things back up. It also has a very flat tire. It has been in the driveway for months and months and maybe years and months. Two weeks prior to this we hired someone to re-landscape the front yard. Out with the grass and in with drought tolerant plants (not rock and cactus - I promise). In order for them to remove the grass, they needed a bobcat. In order to replace the grass with mulch and a decomposed granite walkway, they needed a bobcat and piles of material in the driveway. This meant moving the Buick onto the street. Okay, here is where I don't want safety police or regular police or anyone else yelling at me. I am fully aware that a vehicle on non-op status cannot be parked on the street. I am not special. I am not entitled. I was rolling the dice and hoping we would not get in trouble over the short period of time it would be out there, but was fully cognizant of the fact that this is breaking the law (see my cabin update for an example of how well I handle disobeying authority). I wasn't happy about having it out there, but it was that or move Coupey or Scoopy outside. Not happening.

A week passed and the landscaping was 99% done. Within a day or two after that, it was completed. So pretty. Life was good. While at the cabin that weekend, I got a message from our neighbor's son. He informed me CHP was looking at the Buick. Crap. I thanked him and rushed home that evening to find nothing. Absolutely nothing. There wasn't a note or a ticket or anything. Hmmmm...odd. Oh well. Mike immediately ordered parts he needed and he and Steve spent each evening after work trying to get the thing operational. They did manage to start it up (oh so exhaust-y), but it took jumper cables and starter fluid and who knows what else and then coolant shot all over the engine and basically bad things happened. With the tire having zero air and the car weighing billions of pounds (parked on an uphill slant), there was no way to move it. I took a picture of the tire size and sent that to Mike so he could order tires. It would be a matter of days before the car was back in the driveway. In the meantime, it was covered since it was parked under a pepper tree that drops all these cute little yellowish flower things.

So there I was in the middle of one of the worst work mornings I'd had in awhile, when I saw movement. CHP pulled up behind the Buick. Crap. I had Alyssa call Mike (I was on work call at the time). He told me to go out there and nicely talk to the man. Okay. I had no shoes on and I had jammy bottoms on, but I waddled out in a very submissive pose and stood by his car while I waited for him to emerge and speak with me. He hitched up his belt as he approached and said "Ma'am, is this your Buick". Oh crap. I could already tell this wasn't going to go well. I told him it was and said I know he didn't want excuses, but...launched into my explanation of moving it because of the landscaping and it's got a flat tire and it is heavy and uphill and my husband is getting tires and we will move it tonight. Inhale/exhale, heart pounding. He tells me it looks like it has been there awhile. Yes, sir. It has been two weeks. He tells me again it looks like it has been there awhile. Um, yeah. Two weeks. We moved it for the landscaping and that was two weeks ago. I'm not lying, but I can't find a way to convince him. He says I have 15 minutes to move it or he will tow it. I explain it's just me and my daughter and it is too heavy and has a flat tire and it doesn't run. My husband got it started the other night, but I can't drive it. He said if he got it started, I could move it. No, you don't understand. He started it but he had to use jumper cables and squirty stuff and I can't do that (I pointed at my pitiful self, emphasizing no shoes and jammy bottoms). He again tells me I have 15 minutes to move it or he is towing it and he'll sit there and wait. Um, okay.

I ran as fast as I could, biting back tears of frustration, right to the front door and into the house where I nearly knocked Alyssa over. I told her to call her boyfriend. She said he was already on his way, but she called again and confirmed he'd be there in 10 minutes. I told her to call the neighbor who had just graduated from high school because I saw his car out there. She did. No answer. Crap. Okay. I'm going to put pants and shoes on and knock on the neighbor's door. As I raced across the street all wild eyed and bushy tailed, I saw a man and his wife walking by. I flagged him down and asked if he could help me push the car. CHP was right behind it still and I explained they were going to tow it if I couldn't move it in 15 minutes. He told me no. No? No. It's too heavy. Oh, yes. I know. I have other people coming to help, but the more the merrier. Please? No. You'll never get it moved, he said. It's way too heavy. He walked off. Biting back tears again, I ran to the neighbor's front door. No answer. I knocked. I talked to his dogs. I yelled my name so he didn't think I was a crazy person (probably not the best plan). Nothing. This is not the time to cry.

I raced back across the street and stood by the CHP car. He didn't roll down a window or get out. Fine. I ran in the house. I told Alyssa what had happened. She called Mike. He was furious. He had been driving to work. He'd been on the road for 1.5 hours and was less than 20 miles from home (gotta love CA traffic). He said he was turning around. Poor guy. I told Alyssa I'd go move the truck. I grabbed my keys and out I went. She approached and told me she couldn't get the garage door open. I know. The locks are really tough. Don't worry. We'll get it. I moved the truck and her boyfriend pulled up. Yay! I hugged him. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was upset with CHP as well, but realized there was no point in fighting it. He went with Alyssa and got the garage door open. They hooked up the air compressor and he put a little bit of air in the tire. I stalled for a bit hoping Mike would show up. The clock was ticking and I didn't want to tow truck to get there. We decided to just do the best we could, knowing it was essentially impossible for Alyssa and her boyfriend to push me in a billion pound car up a hill with a mostly flat tire. Just as we were about to try, I heard a noise. The neighbor was coming out. He had overslept and was late to work, but he came and helped. They shoved and I quickly realized no power steering. Crap. CHP drove his car up to block one side of the road while the three of them struggled to move the behemoth of a car. We got it turned, but now it was threatening to hit a parked car, so Alyssa and her boyfriend raced to the front to stop it while the neighbor helped me turn the wheel even more sharply. They counted to three and everyone shoved. It barely made it into the driveway. The nose was nestled at the end of the street. Alyssa ran to get the wheel chock, falling and scraping herself all up. She managed to recover quickly and shove it under the wheel. CHP rolled up, gave a thumbs up, and off he went. The neighbor rushed off to work after I thanked him profusely and smothered him in a giant hug. Mike pulled up moments later and was ready to give CHP a piece of his mind. Too late. All gone. He helped push the car a little more and then set about working from home for about an hour before heading back out to traffic.

So here's my beef. I get that what I did was wrong. The car should not have been out there. BUT 1) There should've been a 72 hour warning. I can see, however, that it was on non-op status so perhaps a warning wasn't needed. I can live with that. 2) He saw how small and pitiful I am. Why couldn't he just tell me to have it moved by morning and he'd be back to check (or offer to help move it with those pushy things on his car or his big strong muscles)? By the way, I did see him the next day as I was leaving the community and he was coming in (presumably to make sure I hadn't put it back on the street). I think it is unreasonable to show up around 9am when all the men in the neighborhood are at work and tell me to move it in 15 minutes or lose it. I respect law enforcement, but I thought this was kind of a jerk move.

So that's the Coupey/Buick update. We are going to HB this next year (unless they suddenly change the date). Our other commitment that always interferes is going to be at the beginning of the month instead of the end. Super excited. The goal is to have the car mostly done by April.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realized I haven't taken a picture for a long time so I ran out to the garage. I can't size pictures anymore, so sorry.

IMG_1503.jpgIMG_1504.jpg

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someday soon, Coupey will be the most beautiful car in CA! It will happen and I want a ride in it!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    The next time you need to put it on the street borrow a trailer. If it's on a licensed trailer they can neither ticket nor tow it.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    So when's your next build party?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Build party? That would be great, but since it is about 100 degrees right now and it's only 9am, I'm thinking it's going to have to wait until the weather cools a smidge. We want to have the car mostly done by April, so yeah...

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I'd like to mention I got a ticket in the mail last week for the Buick. Growl.

Post Thanks / Like
    I attempted to work on the car last night. I tightened a bolt which attaches the alternator. Yay. The top bolt didn't want to go in all the way, so I ignored it. That's the best way to solve problems, right?

The next step in the instructions was to put the compressor cover on. Ummmmm...what is a compressor and do I have one? I looked at the picture and had no clue what anything was. Fortunately, my phone rang right then and it was Mike. Hey Pookie. So, um...do I have a compressor? The word "clutch" was in there someplace too. I don't have a clutch so maybe I don't have this thing. I was crammed in my engine compartment and Mike couldn't hear me very well, so I practically had to scream "compressor". He confirmed I had one. Where? He didn't know. Fine. Whatever. We talked briefly before saying goodbye. I unfolded myself from the cavity of the coupe and moved his welder so I could get to the area I suspected the missing component might be hiding. Thankfully the box was marked. Score! Wow. Wow! WOW!!!! That thing is stinking heavy. I lugged it back to the engine area and plopped it gingerly on the ground. I reread the directions. Yup. This looks like that thing. Which way does it go? Could the picture be any less helpful?! I compared all the bumps and lumps and indents, but still had no clear idea as to the orientation. I'm a strong, independent woman. I can figure this out. Fast forward ten minutes to the point when I flipped ahead in the instructions and realized they weren't kidding when they suggested I put a cover on the compressor. Back out of the engine compartment and out around the back of the welder again. I dug through boxes until I found something that looked approximately the same size and perhaps the same shape. I jiggled back to the car and plopped down once more. Three button head screws. I know what a button head is. This will be easy. There are three button heads in the metric bag and 1 x 16 mm seems metric-y. I tried to put them in, but they didn't behave. I took the cover off and attempted to install them that way. The tip would go in, but it would stop a few threads down. Hmmmm...maybe it's a shallow screw holder thing? No. I took the only other two button heads I could find and tried them. They glided in like butter. Hmmmmm...but there are only two. Whatever. It looks like I can access the cover later, so I'll worry about it once Mike gets home. He'll know what to do.

I hefted the extremely heavy and blingy contraption up to the area I assumed it belonged. I twisted. I turned. I saw no way to attach it. This is stupid. This should be simple. How am I not seeing this. Okay, here's the plan. I will find the bolts for it and then maybe that will help me figure out which holes go where. M8 1.25x25 mm and 35mm. Sound metric. Metric doesn't fit. Digging through bag. Standard doesn't seem to fit. Okay, mm are measurements. I'll go get the calipers and measure. Three calipers later and still not a working battery. Whatever. I can just look at the markings. I don't need a digital display. I'm a strong, independent woman. 25mm is not the size of any bolt anywhere. 35mm was equally as mysterious.

At this point, I felt like either crying or stabbing someone with a bolt. I texted Mike and told him I was frustrated and needed help. He said he'd be home soon. I don't know why he insisted on working late again. Jerk. I worked late too, but only like 10 minutes. Whatever. I went in the house and pouted and slammed things (gently) around. Mike arrived home and told me I had three seconds to show him the problem. I raced into the garage and started to show him the issue with the cover. He was busy looking at the alternator instead of me and noticed the lack of screw-in-ed-ness of the top bolt. Yeah, yeah. Listen to me. He played with the alternator bolt. He eventually declared it was because it was chromed or something-ed (can't remember the word) and that I'd have to chase the threads. I probably don't need to explain what kind of visual was racing through my brain. I will anyway. I could see myself running with a sharp knife while a bolt with large threads and a scream-y face ran in circles.

He fiddled with the bolts for the cover and agreed the standard were better and not to stress. We'd just go buy one. No big deal. He walked away. What?! I wasn't done. That was the most minor of all my issues. He turned back with a slightly hidden eye roll. I explained the compressor is heavy and I don't know which way it goes and I can't find the bolt for it. I'll spare you the details. In the end, it took me two hours and a lot of anger and frustration to discover that I'm useless and shouldn't be allowed near Coupey. Mike disagrees and tried to cheer me up, but I could only find one bolt that fit out of the three or four I needed. I tried every bolt in the bags. I tried every bolt in the cabinets. I tried every bolt in every drawer in ever nook and cranny. Mike keeps saying we'll find the right bolt, but I don't see how it's possible. I gave up and went inside. It was 8 or 9 at night and I knew I wasn't going to solve my issues.

Mike got up this morning and went out to the garage. He came back and told me he thinks he gave me bad info. The correct bolts are there and they are the metric ones I had initially started with. He says the threads need to be chased and that's why it felt like it wouldn't fit. He is going to get me the cover bolt though. I'm still extremely frustrated, but maybe he can help me tonight and we can get the thing fully bolted up. I am a strong, independent woman!!!!!! Oddly, chanting this isn't making the car go together smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mrs QSL, you ARE a strong, independent woman. The only problem is that you are not a strong, independent woman...who has been working on cars most of your life. I know you both work, and have kids to help with, etc, etc. Maybe it would work out if you could schedule say, Sat 8AM to noon, for you AND Mike to work together on the coupe. Best wishes to you and I hope to see more posts as I always enjoy reading them..
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Mike would bring the lift and the car up to the cabin, I'd totally be down for that Saturday work session. Unfortunately, he keeps whining the lift is too big and heavy to move. Whatever. In all seriousness, it's the cabin getting in the way. We love it too much up there. I'm going to put more effort into working on the car after work. It was nice being in the garage last night except that nothing went well. I really love Coupey and miss making progress. Besides, I really want to drive it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went back out in the garage last night. Mike was such a sweetie. He went to the store and bought me the bolt I needed for the compressor cover. I got that installed, although I'm still confuzzled as to why blue loctite is in a red container and red is in a blue container. It's like they WANT to mess you up.

I now know what "chasing" the threads is. I couldn't believe how much powdery crud came out. No wonder that poor little bolt didn't fit. The alternator is now one bolt closer to fully installed and the compressor is three bolts closer to being fully installed. The next step was supposed to be a power steering pump, but I'm using Fast Freddy's, so no need for that. Moving on, it'll be some pulley or belt or something. I don't know. I tried to understand the directions, but couldn't figure out how it got from one picture to the next with so little written wordage. I essentially told Mike I'm turning the reins over to him. I want to be a tool monkey. I'm not good at this figuring stuff out so I'd rather he took control of the build and I'll just do what he tells me. I'm okay with saying I didn't build it by myself. I just want it built and I want to be a part of it.

Next week I am going to pull off the intake and Mike will take it to have a portion polished. He (easily) convinced me that would look better with so much other polished stuff. Extra bling? Sold! I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mrs. QSL I am soooooooo glad you are back working on coupey. I really missed your adventures. It will be awesome when completed. CraigS is right. Just think of all the men that have quit their projects because they were furstrated. Keeping hanging in there like a rusty fishhook. Endeavor to persevere. You will win!

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast