BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like

Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

We have basically finished our roadster http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ld-thread.html

So now its time for the coupe, but this car is going to be for my wife Julie so it will be built to her liking.

So far what we have on order/planed

Base kit
    Automatic trans
    A/C
    IRS
    Ron francis wire
    In dash screen with backup camera and side view.
    FF spindles
    Gordon Levy front billet arms
    Gordon Levy front and rear wilwood brakes
    347 stroker with edelbrock heads cnc ported, roller rockers, med cam, fuel injected stacks
    1/4 scale RC version of the car with a aluminum body.

picture of me on the phone with Gordon making the "big" purchase
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QSL; 12-28-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. My wife was the deciding factor as well for the coupe. We looked at a roadster but her knees hit the dash and the coupe provided just enough extra space. Have fun with the build I'm sure some of it will be familiar if you have done a roadster. What type of auto are you thinking of? If it were me I would likely go with a 4R70W with a standalone controller

Post Thanks / Like
    we have not picked a trans yet. I dont want to modify the tunnel a lot so that will be a factor. We did the roadster in a year but plan on taking two years on this one. We are going to slow it down a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense, but I just don't see how that engine is going to fit into that car; a bit of a tight fit I think... ;-o)

However, I guarantee that it will SCREAM!!

Congratulations on a fine start. LOVE that engine! The scale model will be a nice touch as well!

Best of luck with the build!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike and Julie and family -
    Excellent! I was going to say you guys can come over and visit my Coupe project, but at the rate I am going, I might have to come over to your place so you can show me how to do stuff instead!

Looking forward to the Casey Family Coupe thread stories!

-wayne
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky man. My now ex-wife hates cars and hates the fact that I love them. Not the reason for separating but thats awesome that you can enjoy that equally with your wife and family. Looking forward to following your build again and starting my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike let me know when you get it and I can bring mine up and we can go through some of the differences from the roadster.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everyone!

We are really excited, however we still need to do the finishing touches on the roadster... not to mention start driving it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention we need to actually ORDER the Coupe still...

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Casey family! Looking forward to seeing you folks actively involved over here on the sponsored site. Can't wait to see more progress with the coupe coming.

PS. Since you're moving in over here you might as well add an avatar to your profile.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    good call frank. Figured we would do this thread over here this time. It just feels like the right place to move forward with.

Post Thanks / Like
    MRSQSL, I keep telling you... I NEED TO WAIT UNTIL ALL THE FUNDS ARE CLEARED INTO THE BANK. Dang, talk about impatient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, I have enjoyed watching your roadster build and now it starts all over again. It is so cool what your family is doing together. Not the car but doing it all together.

Keep the momentum going, George

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks george. we do our best. These cars are really great for the family. The price of admission is alone worth the experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great start for the new years!!
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! I enjoyed following your other build.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on this new build. You guys did a really great build thread on the “other” site. My girlfriend kept asking me every week how/what are the Casey’s doing and when you finshed Scoopy she was a little sad, so now I can tell her, “Well here they go again”.

BTW Mike, how did such a handsome brute like you wind up with such a young hottie?
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    BTW Mike, how did such a handsome brute like you wind up with such a young hottie?
    Easy, when I asked her out on a date, i told her i had a cobra. Just did not tell her it would take 20 years before i showed her. HEHEHE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress has been okay considering we have no Coupe. Still waiting on some funds. Hopefully we can get it ordered in the next couple weeks. My valve covers arrived last week. I like them, but told Mike we absolutely have to paint the bottom portion of the intake black. _DSC0074.JPG_DSC0075.JPG_DSC0076.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! julie took pics, resized and posted?!?! Dang, guess i am fired!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just LOVE that stacked injection!! Man, it just screams look at me, I go really, really FAST!!

Can't wait to watch your progress, and totally stoked that you are doing it with your family!

Good luck with the build, and keep the pics coming!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    You said this is going to he her daily driver. I am sure you have, but just wondering if she has gone and sat in one yet. Not the easiest car to get in an out of. wouldn't want to do my daily errands in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's not a daily driver. She has a truck and works from home. She has sat in one and gone for a ride. She wants one so we can go on cruises together and bring the kids since only 2 can fit in the roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    She has sat in one and gone for a ride.
    And she squeeled like a school girl every time I hit the gas.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, she still talks about how crazy that ride was! LOL

Good news! Got confirmation of funds! So a call to FF is due tomorrow to officially order the kit!!!! I could have ordered it before, but i kinda like to have money in hand before doing a purchase like that. You never know what can happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    Told Mike we absolutely have to paint the bottom portion of the intake black.
    Agreed Julie, Just painted the lower on our new engine gloss black and it looks killer. The polished upper really pops now sitting on top of the gloss black lower. I'll try to update my engine thread this weekend with some pics so you can see it. Not stacks like yours, but at least you'll see how cool the contrast looks.You're well on your way, let the Coupe build begin!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    frank, what process did you use to paint? high temp? any special prep?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK everyone we are now officially cooking with fire!!

Coupe is on order and FF really took good care of me even though we dragged the order on for so long so a big kudos to them!!!

Ordered the kit as....

Base coupe
    No powder coat
    competition seats
    body cutouts
    IRS components
    302 headers
    manual steering rack
    Deletion of gauges
    Heat/AC option
    Floormats
    two piece front spindles
    17" wheels

So we will be finallizing our garage clean up and re organization for the build. We should also have the roadster completely done by the time the coupe shows up!

Congrats to JULIE!!!!
    Last edited by QSL; 01-18-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    QSL
    I am going to make a suggestion. I used FFR AC and I think you can get a better buy. Check previous threads on AC. I think I could have saved a bit of money not to speak of also saving space. I wish I had gone IRS also, but they say the solid axle hooks up better. We'll see.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up! I have seen the other packages for the AC available. The thing that made us go with the FF unit is that we were able to still take the 50% off deal since this was a package we had quoted during the sale. So the cost of the AC upgrade was only $600. I hope its atleast worth that!! Would love to see pics of your install.

We dont have a strong opinion on the IRS. We went with 3 link on the roadster. Really, the only things that lead us to the IRS on this build were, price (good deal), Different build then our roadster and Auto trans. From what i understand, the IRS may help with the trans as we can use an even shorter driveshaft if need be.

The 3 link we have in the roadster so far has been awesome. Very, very predictable driving. The car shoots straight too. Honestly, dont think you can go wrong with any configuration. Levy 5 link looks really cool to me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great news! Looking forward to your coupe build, as that was what I wanted to build before deciding to do the roadster. Are you going to have power steering for Julie? Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, at this point the plan is manual steering and brakes. She wants to keep that stuff out of the bay as well. I did offer power steering to her, but she wants to try manual first. In the roadster the steering is great for me, but she is a tiny little beast, so i am not sure how that will workout. Fortunately adding this option at any time is pretty doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how I feel about being called a "tiny little beast", but he's right about the power steering. I would like to keep the engine bay as uncluttered as possible. I realize it needs to be functional, but I'm sure I can start lifting weights, right? Maybe if I get going now, I'll be able to work up to 5 lbs by next Christmas. Hee, hee.

I (or more likely Mike) will take and post pics (hopefully tonight) of the goodies that arrived via UPS today. I didn't want to open the box without him. I'm anxious though. Doing a little giddy dance each time I walk past the box. It's from Gordon Levy, so it is has to be AWESOME!!!!

Anyone who read our roadster build thread knows I'm a rambler. It wouldn't be an update without a personal tale. Feel free to stop reading now. Before Christmas I took the truck in to find out why it was making a horrible clunky noise behind the center console when switching between hot and cold (climate control). They said it was actuators and they would order the parts and call me. No call. I finally gave up on the waiting game and phoned them on Tuesday. They discovered the parts had come in (probably 3 weeks before). I scheduled service for today and told them on the phone that I would be waiting in person for them to complete the task. I arrived this morning to find they had no clue who I was or why I was there. I attempted to explain the actuators. They looked like I was speaking a foreign language and pulled up my records in the computer. I was told they would take me home. No. I. AM. WAITING. They tried to persuade me it would take 3-4 hours so I should go home. I. AM. WAITING. I was sent off to the lounge area where I entertained myself (and possibly inadvertantly the people around me) for approximately 3 hours. At this point, the service manager came to me and announced they would have to remove the dash and there was no way they could finish the job today. I was shuttled home and told it would be ready tomorrow afternoon at the absolute earliest. Grrrrrrrr...how hard could it be to change two little actuators? Seems like they would've known they had to disassemble the dash prior to the three hour mark. I'm a patient person, but I feel like they aren't being fully honest with me. Not a happy camper. Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    You crack me up.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    You crack me up.
    So spill it Levy, what you send um?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    So spill it Levy, what you send um?
    You can tell Frank, but I don't want to look. I want to be surprised. Wait, I already know what's in there. Well, I'll log off and run some errands so I won't see the answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Billit arms
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got home and Julie opened the box! Good looking stuff!!! Julie already tried to install them onto herself, but fitment was poor. LOL.

P1010061.jpgP1010063.jpgP1010065.jpgP1010066.jpgP1010067.jpgP1010069.jpgP1010071.jpgP1010072.jpgP1010074.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I haven't been to this forum is quite some time and guess what I found. A cool build thread... I definitely have to talk to you Mike this weekend.. Like Christmas every day for a while eh Julie? You will have to modify your Passenger foot box for mike. When it is stinking hot out you will take your car Julie with the Air. JJ

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast