BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,160 of 1342

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure that was a ton of fun and it's a gorgeous plane, but I'm pretty sure I would've been sick all over the place and the pilot would've been able to hear me screaming (loudly for the entire 45 minute ride). I'm impressed you were able to take in flight pictures. In the Indy, all I could think was stop smiling and don't fling off the track. Oh and the odd thought that if I had been wearing fake eyelashes, they would've been stuck to the back of the inside of the helmet with all that wind. I've never worn fake eyelashes so...odd. Yeah. I don't think I could've taken a picture if the thought had occurred to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a few more, but after those I thought I wanted to see everything with my own eyes and not through the lens of a camera. My wife was taking video from the ground. The best part is on the way back to the airport the pilot asked the control tower for permission for a low altitude fly by. At the time we were about 500 up. When the tower replied, "permission granted" the pilot dumped the stick and I about had a heart attack! He pulled up at 50 feet doing about 300 mph, buzzed the run way and pulled it up then did a loop. My God that was an adrenalin rush!

If you ever get a chance to go for a ride, do it!!

ps, sorry for the late reply, I never got the email notice that you had posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't updated because we've been working on open beaming the cabin ceiling and haven't been getting home at a decent time to work on Coupey. There will definitely be an update next week because we did work last night and I made a trip out to da bat cave this morning. I haven't seen it on the car because I'm too scared I'll mess it up taking it out of my truck, but the dash is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to see the dash!

Post Thanks / Like
    pic!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Suuuwweeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Mike!
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    That came out nice guys. Going to see that at HB right?
    Looking forward to it.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    yup. we are bringing that car. Not going to bring my roadster this year.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The picture doesn't do it justice. Jeff is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget Martin!

Dropped the top off at powdercoater today. That should really set it off.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    That dash looks really cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Would Julie like to help Judge the show?
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's a fun and scary thought. I know nothing about cars really. I mean, I can tell you if they are pretty or not, but that's about it. I feel like you'd want someone more capable making such important decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a busy week, but we got lots done. The beginning of the week found us (me) attempting to install the shifter. It's not like I'm attaching cables or anything, just putting in a few bolts to hold it down. Seems simple enough. Because I want to shift like a normal human and not have to raise my arm up to hit the roof, the shifter had to be installed down low. This meant spacers would have to be created and not by me. I can't be trusted with certain machinery still and whatever makes spacers is one of those machines. So I went back to my normal life and was thrilled to discover spacers were ready and waiting when I got back from running errands the next evening. Steve agreed to help me and Mike raised the lift to make it easier. Unfortunately, he misjudged the height of our son and put the lift in the just the perfect spot so that Steve couldn't stand completely or kneel or squat or sit. No matter what he tried, it was awkward and uncomfortable. After much ado, we bolted the darn thing in. I love the way it looks and I keep fiddling with it when I'm out there. Forward. Back. Forward. Back. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to drive.

The entire time I'm working on the stuff, Mike is doing important things with the trunk. He created and installed a little drop down box so I can keep my tool bag and purse, lipstick, etc (you know, essential items) hidden. He also brilliantly modified a plastic battery box to fit. Seriously, I was impressed by his out of the box thinking.

Okay, so as the week progressed, so did the work. I picked up the dash from Jeff. I was a little afraid I was going to have to pretend to like it. What if the color was wrong or it looked odd? I knew Jeff would do an amazing job and the paint would be flawless, but what if I just didn't like it. Thank goodness that was NOT an issue. I'm still smiling at how it came out. In fact, it's so nice I'm not sure if I still want Pete Brock to sign it. I mean, I do, but what if he sneezes while signing and the paint from the pen goes all wonky? Okay, that's probably not going to happen. The passenger side definitely needs something and I think his signature would be ideal. Anyway, I was too scared to take it out of the truck (Jeff put it in for me). I ended up leaving my truck home and taking Alyssa's car to go to a meeting. By the time I got home, Mike had the dash safely and beautifully affixed to the Coupe. While at Jeff's, I was able to ogle a car that had been freshly painted and was about to head home. Have I mentioned once or twice he has some talent?

The following evening was gauge day. Mike suggested I pop the bad boys in the dash. Thinking it would take five or ten minutes, I agreed. Little did I know. Stinking things wanted to misbehave. The new paint filled up a little of the previously perfectly sized hole so Mike handed me this...thing and told me to stick it all the way through (holding it very tightly and being very careful) and mush it back and forth. It isn't a chisel, but it's in the same tool family (at least in my mind). Maybe a file? I was beyond scared. I had adrenaline up the wazoo. I was relieved when Mike said he would take care of it with some sanding air tool thing. I couldn't watch or listen and I asked him how he had the courage to do that. I was truly in awe, but he managed. No extra scratches or boo boos or anything. Yay! I was able to install all gauges, but the big ones need something because the holes for those are still too big (no grinding or filing there - they were always a little oversized). The gauge will wobble and turn and look silly if we don't fix it. Tried electrical tape, rubber bands, pin striping and o-rings. So far no solution.

With the shifter in, Mike and I discussed different ideas for the center console. He had to fix the original hole as it no longer allowed the shifter to move freely. Good thing he insisted we mock up. I hate mocking up. Grrrr... With a design agreed upon, Mike took the console to the upholstery place. I think he's picking up the finished product tomorrow. Fingers crossed it looks as nice in real life as it does in my brain.

The last step of the week was to get the panels ready for powder coat. Mike pulled them all off and out so I could clean them when I got home. It went rather well except for the last one. It's always the last one. The tape from FF had permanently glued itself down. I had successfully unstuck the other pieces, but it's like the two chunks on this panel were melted in. It was awful. I whined to Mike after trying and trying unsuccessfully with the acetone. He grabbed a grinder and did some smooshing. I thought for sure that would be the end of it, so I was rather shocked when he handed me the panel and said I'd need to soak the rag in acetone and scrub. Well that doesn't sound like fun (especially since I'd already put the acetone away and now I'd have to trudge all the way around the car and back over to the cabinet). He wasn't kidding when he said scrub. I'm pretty sure my right bicep (I think that's the muscle anyway) is probably significantly larger than the left. I'm shocked there's still metal on the panel. I was relieved when the last of the goop came off. Yay! He took the panels (all 25) in the next morning and he's supposed to get them back Wednesday. Hopefully that will give us enough time to shove them back on before HB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Weekend except for the rain. Really glad I did not bring the roadster. We had and excellent time like always. Great seeing everyone and it helped motivate us to spend some more time on the car. A highlight for sure was having Pete Brock sign Julies dash. It came out awesome! Also, I wanted to share with those that don't know, I used to collect 1/4 scale RC cars. They are quite collectable now. At one time I purchased a 1/4 scale Daytona coupe. It was a prototype that the company never needed up producing. There was a lot of coverage in magazines over it and Pete even did a photo shoot with it one time. I also have a copy of the original body blue prints that Pete drew up for the full size car in my office. Really wish I could have brought that even though it does already have his signature in the bottom right, but its a copy.

Pete sign.jpgpete and julie.jpg
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike it was great to meet you and Julie this weekend. The dash came out great, and now with the signature it will be even more of a conversation piece. Pete signed mine too, great guy!

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike and Julie -
    Always great to catch up with you and Coupey.... I can't wait to see it all done. Now I need to get back to my garage and do some work!
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    Next year we should have a designated time and place (i.e. Starbucks at 1pm) for coupe owners introductions! Wayne and I where in the same line for signatures and didn't even know it. Maybe next year I'll have my car there.

John

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    I was able to install all gauges, but the big ones need something because the holes for those are still too big (no grinding or filing there - they were always a little oversized). The gauge will wobble and turn and look silly if we don't fix it. Tried electrical tape, rubber bands, pin striping and o-rings. So far no solution.
    I had the same problem with a former iteration of my dash (since replaced with a later version). Solved it by running some 3/16" rubber U seal around the inside of the opening. Depending on the clearance, a different size might be needed. Result with a light-colored dash would be a small black surround to the gauge, and a gauge that will neither move around nor rattle. It was an effective fix, although you may or may not like the look.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was a great weekend which I will discuss in an update hopefully later this afternoon. Just wanted to pop in real quick and say that it was a real pleasure to meet you John. I wish I had had more time to talk with you. I think a coupe meeting is an excellent idea next year. Let's do it! Wayne, it's always fun to talk to you and I feel like we never get a long enough time to chat. Let's all bring our coupes next year.

As for the rubber U seal fix, I love the way that sounds. I'm going to look into that. I actually would like to have a little black surround and I've said it to Mike several times. As long as it isn't huge or misshapen, I think this sounds like the perfect solution. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday came and went, but the panels were not done. The powder coater promised Thursday. Mike was able to grab them Thursday and we began the process of reinstalling them. Some had not been drilled yet, so I was less than thrilled at the prospect of having to do all that work in a rush, but it turned out to be pretty easy. Unfortunately, the powder coater lost 3 panels. We sent out 25 and returned with 22. The bottom of the box Mike made for the trunk, a block off plate thing and the bottom plate Mike had made for the battery tray are among the missing. They were supposed to be checking on Friday, but Mike never heard anything. I think Mike has been too busy at work today to call. Hopefully tomorrow. The missing ones can be remade, but it angers me that they were so careless and seem so flippant about it. Grrrrr...

Mike came home early on Friday, so I took the work phone out to the garage and went back to drilling holes. A couple friends came over in the evening to help. We pushed the car out into the driveway and began the process of putting the body on. This did not go well at all. First time since we installed the fuel tank and the body was clearly hitting. Mike called Jeff to see if cutting it was the solution, but got voicemail. Jeff did call back pretty quickly, but not quick enough. Mike had already taken a grinder and cut out a long strip. I was quite relieved when Jeff told him that was the correct thing to do and it will even need to be cut more before all is said and done. After a long and terrifying battle, the body gave in and clamped onto the frame. I don't ever want to take it off again, but I know that day is not far off. One last off and on (I hope).

We decided not to load the car until Saturday morning and got up at 5:45. I don't know where the time went, but we didn't leave until just after 7:00. Thankfully Dan Ziol lent us his amazingly wonderful trailer so we didn't get any more gouges from the crappy U-Haul ones. We got stuck in traffic because of a fatal accident on the 55. I thought it was a motorcycle, but I saw an article online this morning that said a man was walking down the shoulder and then stepped out in front of a big truck. I assume it was suicide. Either way, the traffic was miserable and seeing the tarp covering the body on the side of the road was very depressing. I felt so sad for the deceased as well as the person whose life is forever changed because he killed another human. Incredibly sad all the way around. I wasn't feeling very chipper by the time we arrived (8:30ish). Sally was great and guided us over to registration. Tony sent us over to a nice little area to unload. That was MUCH better than last year. In the process of getting the coupe in it's spot, the power steering cap popped off and fluid splurted everywhere. Mike took the truck and trailer off about a mile or so for the day and trudged back.

It was great to see everyone and meet new people. To make a long story short, there were lots of pretty cars and super friendly people. The time screamed by and I feel like I didn't get to spend enough time with anyone. The highlight was when Jay, Doc (your name isn't Pete) and Mike brought Peter Brock over to sign my dash. Happy dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The signature is perfect! I couldn't believe he managed to skish himself into the passenger side to sign. I thought he'd just sort of lean in. Nope. Truly impressive. I feel extremely honored to have had the chance to meet him and now his signature is a permanent part of Coupey. I'll admit I was terrified that rain was going to wash it off before I got home and was hugely relieved when the car was finally safe and home and dry again with the autograph still intact. Another super nice person is Jo Coddington. We chatted a couple times during the day. I'm really impressed by how down to earth she is.

Anyway, it was an outstanding event except for the rain and the terrible sound quality. Could barely hear anything. I was hoping they were going to grab a microphone from the band instead.

While the rain was coming down and people were attempting to get through the barriers that wouldn't come down until 3:00, Mike and I hiked out to the truck. On the way back, I was saying it was going to be miserable for the two of us alone to try to load the car...in the rain...by ourselves...in the rain. I was shocked when we returned and found a line of people standing there waiting to help. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has to be the nicest community in existence. We got it all loaded and Tony was kind enough to move the barriers and we were on the way home. It rained most of the way and there was traffic that was miserable, but we eventually got back. Unfortunately, the group of guys that helped load didn't follow us home (jerks - hee, hee) and Mike was left alone to push me slightly uphill before I could roll down and he could push me slightly uphill again to get on the lift. It was a strenuous affair and I was mightily impressed by his tenacity and his musculature, especially considering the trailer floor was wet and the rain was still coming down. He went inside to cook up some steak while I used the air compressor to blow off the bulk of the water and then wiped down the rest. I had quite a puddle in the driver side footbox, but no easy way to get it out. I was impressed the next morning when everything was dry and very few spots remained as proof of the inclement weather.

You'd think my tale would be over, but it's not. The "No Big Deal" cruise was Sunday and we decided to go. Problem was that the Buick (minus the turbo) was parked right behind the roadster. Sure it's easy to roll it a little down the driveway, but how to get it back up when the day is done? The Buick is still at the bottom of the driveway, but it isn't blocking the sidewalk. Win! He was able to 300 point turn the roadster out and went to get gas. He got back and we met Jim and his wife at the bottom of Ortega. We arrived at Hell's Kitchen before the group coming from the other direction (by about 30 minutes) so that gave us lots of time to chat. The others arrived and we had a great time. I'll admit it was a little slow getting food, but I believe everyone was eventually fed. Looking forward to next year!!!!!!!!!! Mike and I are pretty motivated to get the car done. Okay, maybe not done done, but done-ish.

Oh and I want to say that when we were leaving the event Saturday, I finally took the time to pull out the t-shirt in my registration packet. I'm going to give Sally the credit for this because I don't know who really did it, but the shirt I had was a women's cut. I was incredibly thrilled. It's a small thing, but it made a huge impression. I felt special and warm and fuzzy. I got a little tear in my eye, but choked it down. Thank you!!!!!!!!! I attempted to send Sally an email this morning, but didn't know her address. I said something nice about her and a quick blurb about Tony as well and sent it off. Turns out the email I sent it to was Tony's. Oops. Oh well. He WAS really helpful and kept us laughing. Factory Five rocks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I forgot something from Sunday. After the cruise, Mike and I had to return the trailer to Dan's shop. His neighbor happens to be a famous race guy from back in the 60's and 70's. He allowed me to sit in a front engine dragster from that era. Wow! That was awesome!!!!! It mostly re-affirmed that I should NEVER consider (under any circumstances) becoming a race car driver. Being that close to the major components of a car is not for me. Getting in and out was pretty difficult. I may be thinner than the average driver, but I'm also shorter. Anyway, that was a great end to a wonderful weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    FE dragster pic!!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    Oh, I forgot something from Sunday. After the cruise, Mike and I had to return the trailer to Dan's shop. His neighbor happens to be a famous race guy from back in the 60's and 70's. He allowed me to sit in a front engine dragster from that era. Wow! That was awesome!!!!! It mostly re-affirmed that I should NEVER consider (under any circumstances) becoming a race car driver. Being that close to the major components of a car is not for me. Getting in and out was pretty difficult. I may be thinner than the average driver, but I'm also shorter. Anyway, that was a great end to a wonderful weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    FE dragster pic!!!
    That's so cool that you met Doug. He's really cool huh? Did you get to see the flat head they are working on? Doug's shop was closed when Dan and I got back to Pasadena on Saturday and we were soaking wet from the drive. I am looking forward to see the new engine.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure I saw the flat head, but I was overwhelmed by all the cool stuff in there. I was especially enthralled by the broken engine parts Dan showed me. Wow. Just wow. It takes a whole lot to make a piston look like that. Doug is a great guy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    We didn't work on the car this week. Still recovering from HB and month end is always a tough time at work. Do I need any other excuses or are those good enough? Since there's no update and nothing to see over here, I will update the cabin thread soon (hopefully tomorrow). In case you missed it, it's http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...17-Casey-Cabin. Hoping for some Coupey progress this week or we won't make our HB 2016 deadline. Eep!

Post Thanks / Like

more

Can you say "broken parts". Just a few examples

Dan Ziol
    Last edited by bwdziol; 05-04-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So we didn't actually work on the car, but Mike figured out which torque converter I needed. It was way too complicated for me. So many confusing questions. He put in a large Summit order because he loves me so much. If I had been left to figure it all out, we'd have had a lot of really pretty unnecessary items. I'm happy to have the stuff on order (probably delivered today from the way it looks), but it took me awhile to save up that much money and I'm not happy about the spending part. I'm most excited about the March pulley system thingy. Bling. I love bling. It'll be like Christmas today. Unfortunately, I injured myself slightly over the weekend and haven't been in the best mood. I'm doing much better today. I won't be able to move the boxes myself, but I think I can con Mike or the kids (Alyssa is home from college) to help me out. Alyssa has been walking around telling everyone she is home for 111 days - like it's a prison sentence and she's hoping for early release. We aren't THAT bad. Geesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    With an injured back (much better now), I wasn't able to do any work on Coupey. I did get a bunch of parts in the mail, although not the blingy ones. Those should arrive tomorrow and I'm beyond excited. I'll be perched just inside the front door waiting to pounce on the first delivery person that has the misfortune of showing up. I think Mike is going to post a picture or two of opening the other goodies which leads me to a possibly long and slightly odd explanation/defense. I don't normally look like that and I rarely hold stuffed animals. Here's the thing. It was an especially bad week and a horrible day and that particular hour of my life was a definite low. Someone had passed away. Another friend was in the hospital. I got a text that pushed me over the edge and I'll admit I was crying. I took a shower, but that didn't make me feel better. In the picture, I am wearing the most unflattering pajamas (super comfy like a big hug), my hair is in a "towel turban" because it's wet and I didn't want it to drip on all my goodies, I have no makeup on and I'm holding a big stuffed bear because Steve walked in and saw my distress and thought it would make me feel better (which it kinda did). Okay, so with all that said I'm sane again. My back is almost back to normal with only a little pain on the left side. I'm not having any sort of emotional breakdown although this week isn't going especially well either.

Let me see how many received parts I can name from memory:

torque converter - which is big and heavy and not blingy so I didn't even take it out of the box
    distributor - pretty, but apparently it has the wrong gear (according to Mike)
    spark plug wires - seemed simple enough until I realized they are universal so must be built (probably mocked up too - grrrr)
    bracket of some sort - I have no clue, but I got excited when I saw the little box because it said chrome (yeah, not as exciting as I imagined)
    coil - I think, but there were so many electrical-like things that I'm not entirely certain
    starter - big and heavy and I remember having to clock it so it would fit in the Cobra and I'm hoping not to have to do it again
    ignition thingy - not really sure, but seems important and sort of large (when I think ignition I think of the little place you stick the key and this clearly isn't that)
    computer - we decided to sell the one we have (red line?) and go for this one instead
    fuel-ma-bobs - lots of fuel stuff that I completely don't understand but Mike thought was pretty neat
    pressure plate? - apparently the torque converter bolts to this and while watching Fast N Loud last night Mike was pointing out you don't remove the torque converter when removing the engine or you'll get fluid all over the place like they did. Instead you turn something and remove bolts from the pressure plate or something. I was listening, but it's not like I could visualize.

That might have been it. I took a couple pictures. Ignore the Algebra book and gun stand on the table (assuming I can get pictures to load).

IMG_0673.jpg
    Last edited by MRSQSL; 05-19-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That second picture was terrible. Here's a better idea of the fuel-ma-bobs and I spread out the stuff in the big box.

IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0676.jpg
    Last edited by MRSQSL; 05-19-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    YEA, parts are being purchased for Coupey! Looks like a lot of stuff to install and you will be ready for a first start.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, cute try. People will see the pics, yes they will!!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to photoshop me out. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are horrible! Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike, you are a stud!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Those photos now match the narrative, you ARE a brave man Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    I offer transparency. LOL.

These parts are the most expensive ones were were missing to drive the car. The only other thing would be the driveshaft. Purchased the EZefi system and I am really excited about using it. This was a big stock order for us from summit!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    In my defense, I AM color coordinated. Ugh. Let's stop patting Mike on the back. He's not nice for posting those and I will get revenge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Better not fall asleep in that recliner mike!\

John

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast