Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 1342

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well of course it was. There's no way something of that magnitude could happen on a normal day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man U just turned my frown upside down!! Lol. We gotta shoot down there someday and drop off your stand and check your shop progress.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
    Thanks for enjoying my misery. Oh did I mention it was on my birthday? The night before Thanksgiving, with about 20 people coming over for turkey... Yeah it was a fun day.
    Another Thanksgiving birthday!!!! Mine is on Thanksgiving this year and we generally don't have turkey on my birthday. One year, prime rib with all the trimmings.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    Man U just turned my frown upside down!! Lol. We gotta shoot down there someday and drop off your stand and check your shop progress.
    You are welcome anytime and the pool is always open and ready. Not much change in the shop other than having power down there now.

Ray mine can never be on thanksgiving, it's the 21st.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 74:

Only one little thing got done on Coupey this weekend. Mike ground down the sides of the rear cockpit aluminum so that the side impact bars would fit. I would've begun the drilling and clecoing process, but it was pretty late Sunday when the grinding happened.

Friday afternoon, Mike and Steve ventured out for a "men only" camping trip. I was impressed they took the Jeep and slept in a tent. That's really roughing it. Then again, I packed all the food, clothing, etc so I feel like I deserve a little credit. They returned Saturday so no time to work on the cars.

Sunday morning I made the mistake of asking Mike to remind me what exactly I'd have to do if I wanted to reseal the stamped concrete out back. It's a project I had agreed to take on several months back when the weather was nicer and I was apparently drunk or asleep or super busy and just said yes without really listening to the request. He laid it all out and I tried to wiggle my way out, but he thought it sounded like a splendid chore for me. Sigh. As I was gathering my necessary items, he pointed out a few other tidbits he hadn't mentioned before like how I'd have to move all the leftover stones from the backsplash project and how I'd have to dig little trenches next to the sidewalks so the sealer would get down on the sides. Too late to back out now, but I wasn't thrilled. It was just under 100 degrees out all weekend so I deserve a wee bit of praise for even considering taking on this project. I spent the day out there and while I didn't do it completely by myself, Mike has offered me 95% of the credit. It looks better, but it wasn't fun and everything hurt and I even had to stop and run to the store part way through for more sealer. Angry face.

I told Mike I'd work on the aluminum during the evenings after work, but so far I haven't been home any evening this week. Hopefully today. Fingers crossed. If I can get the swamp cooler revved up, I can probably make progress without passing out from heat exhaustion. I'm not making any promises though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a little progress this past muggy hot weekend. Feels good to get some done. Looking at stepping up the build now. No more slacking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 75:

Sure, Mike only shows pics of his progress. Whatever.

While he worked on the rear brakes, I drilled lots and lots of holes in the rear cockpit panels. I love my right angle drill. I dislike drilling into the frame though. I prefer panel to panel. I had to take lots of breaks between holes to rest my aching arms. I watched Mike drill a couple areas to rivet the clamp things and he just shoves real hard on the drill for a few seconds and done. Not me. I have to groan and shove and hold my breath and rest and add more tapping oil and then reapply pressure. It takes a good 30-50 seconds per hole. Strong men are jerks because you all make it look so easy.

Mike did an amazing job with the brake line routing. It's going to look great when it's all done. I'm very excited.

For the record, he is suddenly motivated about my build because he figures he'll get my car off the lift and then buy himself a new project. He has bumped up the ETA on finishing mine to two weeks. He was threatening to call Jeff to schedule a day to drop it off for paint. Noooooooo!!!!! I refuse to do that ever again. He waited until the hottest part of summer with the roadster to take it to Jeff and then we had to work every evening after work and every waking hour on weekends to have it ready in time to put the body back on. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I don't have any fascinating build stories this week because I was just drilling holes and I've done that a bunch of times before. I can't move on to anything else yet. I'm not qualified to grind or cut metal (nor do I want to). The rear corners won't squish into their assigned spaces because of the side impact bars. The trunk won't flop where it belongs because of the X I begged Mike to install in the trunk. I was asking him how hard it would be to put a piece of plexiglass behind the driver to separate the cockpit from the trunk. It's in the plans, but as I was asking I realized holes had to be cut for seat belts and then I felt pretty bad about causing extra labor. Sigh. I still want it, but I think the two week goal is going to have to be pushed back a smidge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie you definitely want the partition in there but you really can't do it until the body is in it's final fit so it will seal properly.
    The benefit to the A/C is huge and will do wonders for your comfort level when driving.
    You won't get as cold in the winter or as hot the other 11 1/2 months of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right angle drill? Excuse me, but it's a LEFT angle drill for us talented leftys...

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    A partition will probably also cut down interior noise. It is amazing how much noisier my wife's 2010 Mustang is when one of the rear seat backs is flipped down to carry a piece of wood home. Maybe you could put it behind the rollbar so there wouldn't need to be holes for the shoulder belts.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jules, I'm look forward to my first joy-ride. So... Pick me up on August 23? Yes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BFFofMRSQSL View Post
    Jules, I'm look forward to my first joy-ride. So... Pick me up on August 23? Yes?
    Oooooh! August 23rd doesn't work for me. I haven't figured out why yet, but I'll come up with an excuse before then.

Interesting idea about the partition behind the roll bar.

My sister is a "talented lefty" as well. Wasn't trying to discriminate. I enjoy watching her try to write in a notebook (evil giggle).

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be able to seal it better on the passenger side of the roll bar. Plus it gives you a lockable storage in the back.

The noise reduction is a big bonus too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 76:

Bleeding brakes isn't as much fun as I remember. Something is wrong, but I'm not sure what. We bled and bled and bled some more. Sometimes the brakes would get better. Sometimes it seemed like they got worse. After about an hour, we decided to walk away and come back refreshed another time. Maybe that would give the air bubbles time to settle somewhere. I don't get it. We've never had problems of this magnitude before and Mike and I have bled together many times. We tried one of those bleeding tools which Mike had purchased previously, but it worked about as well as the last time (not at all). Oh well. We'll get them sorted out soon enough.

Other than the bleeding and finding a missing nut, I didn't work on the car this weekend. Mike did and my brake lines look amazing. He rocks!!!! There is nothing I feel qualified to do without Mike having to work on first. I can't put any other panels in because the bars we added get in the way. I can't add things to the engine compartment because we still have to take the engine out. There is nothing I can work on in the cockpit area or in the trunk. I'm at a standstill.

All of our attention will be on Scoopy this coming weekend, so we won't make much progress unless Mike works on the car after his lovely, long commute each day. School starts for Steve a little later this week. I can't believe how fast his summer vacation flew by. I like it when he's home, so I'm a little sad about sending him back. Alyssa finished her summer job and will be heading off to college at the end of this month. Sad face. I'm sorry my updates aren't more exciting.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I hope this doesn't insult, but did you bleed the master by themselves first?

Hank

“If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not an insult at all. Yes. Mike said he bench bled the masters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie you have to start working harder. The updates are the only thing we look forward to on Mondays. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Do all the welds from F5 look like this in the first photo of your latest update?

Post Thanks / Like
    The welds in that picture appear to be from the added side impact protection bars not the factory frame

Post Thanks / Like
    The welds on the left are from the side impact. Look at any other welds in that picture. Those are from Factory Five. If you want a close picture of one of their welds, let me know and I'll go out and snap one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 77:

I warned you this wasn't going to be about Coupey. Scoopy was the center of attention this weekend. A friend and fellow Cobra owner (who shall remain nameless just in case he's horrified of being connected to us in any way, shape or form) invited us to a car show. This wasn't just ANY show. Well, it was. The invitation, though, included staying a couple nights in a cabin he owns. Ummmm...okay. Don't have to twist my arm. We absolutely fell in love with his mountain. I'm so miserable back down here in the 103 degree heat. I keep looking at pictures and sighing. I want to go back!!!!!!

Anyway, the car show was fun. I haven't seen a collection of nicer cars. I wasn't a fan of the open header contest as I don't like loud engine noises and my fight or flight kicks in. I wanted to run far, far away.

In case you are wondering, Webers do just fine at high altitudes. We were up around 7000 ft and there was never an issue. Okay, so maybe Scoops ran a little rich, but he/she/it started first try every time.

We can't thank this mystery person enough for allowing us to invade his life for a few days. I can honestly admit it was one of the best weekends I've ever had. Absolutely delightful.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great show they put on up there. I was hoping to go this year and couldn't make it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
    That is a great show they put on up there. I was hoping to go this year and couldn't make it.
    You don't know where this is, remember? I was very vague. It's a secret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    It's a secret.
    It's not a secret if everyone knows, just sayin'.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    The welds on the left are from the side impact. Look at any other welds in that picture. Those are from Factory Five. If you want a close picture of one of their welds, let me know and I'll go out and snap one.
    Thank you for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever get back to work on Coupy you can take it up there in the winter and be very comfy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think my tires would like the mountain moisture. I'm willing to try though.

Frank, it's a secret if I say it is, so there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank, it's a secret if I say it is, so there.
    Is not!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    We loved it so much, we are buying our own slice of heaven up there!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's a place where one could be quite happy!

I hope it brings you a great deal of pleasure.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 78:

Let me first start by saying that isn't our cabin in the picture. That's the cabin we stayed at the previous weekend that inspired us to buy our own cabin. Our cabin is across the street from that one and is less than half the size. The condition is not nearly as good either. That brings me to the real reason for this update. We are not going to be working on my car anytime soon because we really need to get the cabin sorted out. Plus, the weather is SO much nicer up there, I'm not sure if we could handle the garage heat. So, rather than boring you with weekly updates about the horrific gobs of mouse excrement we are cleaning out of every nook and cranny (while fully covered in protective gear so we don't contract hantavirus), I'll simply wait until something happens with the car before I update again. I'll probably lose track of what week we are on, so no more week numbers once I return. I'm sad about Coupey, but excited about Cabiny. If I can get Mike to whittle away some of the extra aluminum on panels so I can get them to fit, I don't mind working on the car in the evenings after work. Weekend car time will grind to a halt for now though.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on "cabiny" in the mountains! You will have many happy family days up there, including the renovation project. Coupey will get over it, eventually!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick non car related update. Took Alyssa to college yesterday. I know she'll do well and we are incredibly proud. But when they handed her to me after she was born, nobody mentioned how hard it would be to let go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie-

I totally understand, but she will do great. And it will be awesome to see how she grows over the next couple of years. Very rewarding to watch it happen!

Congratulations on the milestone, and good luck over the next couple of months as you and Mike get used to the change.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The day when we left our daughter at college the first time was the hardest day of my life. And, like all men, I thought I was a really tough guy right? That day brought me down a peg I can tell you.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe how hard this has been. I cried a good chunk of the way home Saturday night after we left her. The cabin kept me occupied most of Sunday and Monday. I am now unofficially an expert in removing nails from flooring. Who knew we had carpet and then wood flooring and then wood flooring and then wood flooring all in one little section? Anyway, I worked in one of the stores on Tuesday instead of my office so that was mighty distracting. Yesterday was the first normal day without Alyssa since we left her. I was mostly okay until after work. She always went with me to the bank to do the deposit and then we'd run an errand or two and go home. She wasn't there yesterday. I was fighting back tears in the bank and found it was even worse at the grocery store. People kept looking at me and I think it was the depression oozing out of me. Maybe they wanted to give me a hug? I'm sure it will get easier, but this is extremely difficult. Mike seems to be handling it better, but then again he might just be acting. Hearing how you guys have gone through the same thing helps. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    {{ehug}}

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie,
    Isn't that Dan's "Plumb Loco" car in the picture??? Your secret isn't so secret now, I know the area . . . Congrats on getting your own mountain cabin and the area makes for some awesome photo opportunities (Kodak moments).
    Good to hear that Coupy is close and it'll be ready for HB next year - right?
    See you there . . . I'll bring a bigger brown bag filled with goodies for you guys.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hee, hee. Yes, that is Dan's car.

Ummmmmm...yes. Coupey will be completely done and painted by April. Eeeeep! Actually, Mike took today off to take care of some stuff around here and I gently nudged him to trim down some panels for me so I can work on the car. We are both getting the itch to get back in the garage, but the cabin needs a few more weeks of attention.

Looking forward to seeing you again in HB!!!!

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast