FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    You can tell Frank, but I don't want to look. I want to be surprised. Wait, I already know what's in there. Well, I'll log off and run some errands so I won't see the answer.
    Although I already knew having talked to Mike this morning I figured I could increase my post count. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    give us a day and time and we will shoot over!

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie, GO WITH POWER STEERING!! There are many options for mounting the pump that could make it less noticeable. The saginaw GM pumps are pretty small when you get the ones w/ a remote reservoir.Here is just one option
    http://www.krcpower.com/products/b-c...s/krc-50020000
    You could also go w/ Fast Freddy's electric pump for more options.
    http://www.fastfreddiesfabrications.com/shop/
    Search both forums for install pics.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep forgetting about the fast freddy setup. those are cool. For sure need to look at where we could hide that.
    Last edited by QSL; 01-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

It looks like you guys have quite the setup for the Coupe there, lots of SHINNY stuff. Glad we could help you out on the kit, let me know if you need anything else.

Dan@FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the order. I am looking forward to this thread.
    And sorry I could have sworn I read in the other thread this was going to be a DD for her, my bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan for your patience. We are thankful for everything you guys do. So easy to work with, i know i can always count on you guys.

ss95003, no problem man!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the PS advice. The Fast Freddy's one looks really interesting to me. Mike is going to shove me around a little so we can see what I think of manual steering. That sounded abusive. I get to sit in Scoopy and he'll push me down the street so I can try to steer a little. This should be an adventure. Maybe I'll see if Aly will video it. Should be good for a laugh. I imagine that will give me a taste of manual brakes as well. Hope Mike isn't pushing with his shins right by the quick jacks just in case I happen to test the brakes unexpectedly (insert evil giggle).

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have an engine stand? You can borrow mine if you like -

DV

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a stand, but my buddy is borrowing it LOL, so yea, i think maybe i could borrow yours If you dont mind!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Good choice on the control arms. Make the alignment very easy among other things.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    We need to look at your car again sometime. Looks like we can still use your hoist here if that's ok for now
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem on the hoist. I have a rolling chassis dolly you can use if you want to borrow that too.

We'll have to work out a time to meet up. When is your delivery date?

Post Thanks / Like
    How high is that dolly? Thanks for everything!!!

We dont have a date yet. They are telling me they are 3-5 weeks on delivery.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    It puts the bottom of the frame about 20 inches off the ground. Great height for working on sheet metal and suspension, especially if you have a short stool to roll around on. It's had one coupe and two roadsters assembled on it.

If you want to come pick it up we can go through my coupe and you can see my new shop this is almost finished. I'll PM you my new address. I moved out near the Wild Animal Park.

2013-01-18_13-49-33_761.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, that new shop is amazing! Can't wait to see it in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, guys! I'm so jealous. (Like I'm burdened with only having a Roadster) :-)

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Julie, GO WITH POWER STEERING!! There are many options for mounting the pump that could make it less noticeable. The saginaw GM pumps are pretty small when you get the ones w/ a remote reservoir.Here is just one option
    http://www.krcpower.com/products/b-c...s/krc-50020000
    You could also go w/ Fast Freddy's electric pump for more options.
    http://www.fastfreddiesfabrications.com/shop/
    Search both forums for install pics.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe we have decided to go with the fast freddy power steering setup. It looks like we could hide it pretty good.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Week -6: I'm only guessculating at the negative 6 time line. FF hasn't given us a due date yet. I guess conception was 1/17/13?

Anyway, this was a busy weekend. Saturday morning we headed off to Pedalmasher's house. He was kind enough to let us borrow his immaculate engine stand (thank you). That thing is spotless. I'm afraid I'm going to scratch it or get it dirty. Eeeeeep! Wait, I should go back a little. Mike told me a couple weeks ago that I should keep my eyes open for some IRS parts. I forget the exact names (which is probably why I never found them). I wanna say knuckles and a hub and a pumpkin. We can pretend anyway. So there we are at Derrick's (sorry if I spelled that wrong) and he tells us how and where he got his. I'm following along in the story until he says "third member". Hmmmmmm...mental note to ask Mike if a third member is the same as a "pumpkin". We load up the stand and have a nice chat. He has decided to do his own body work on the roadster, so I'm anxious to see pictures in the future. It seems like a daunting task, but I'm sure he'll have no problems.

We hopped back into the truck (yes I got it back from the dealer Friday) and made our way to JJ Snakepit's house. Turns out he has some IRS parts he's willing to sell us. Yay! OMG!!!!! I LOVE his dash and his gauges. I can't wait until he's done. I am SOOOOOOOOO getting gauges from the same place. So, we are in his garage and he and Mike are discussing IRS and JJ says something about a "center section". Mental note to ask Mike if a center section is the same as a pumpkin and/or a third member. We strike a deal and I now have my missing IRS parts. Super yay!!!! JJ also let us borrow a rolling stand that the trans would fit nicely on (assuming we ever pick out a trans). Thank you JJ!!!!

After all this "shopping", we decide to go to lunch. JJ tells us about a yummy Mexican place and off we go. Delicious food, excellent company, perfect weather. What more could you ask for????

We return JJ to his house and head back towards Corona. One last stop. This is to a guy that is making an aluminum body for us (quarterscale). We have a 1/4 scale RC Cobra and a 1/4 scale RC Coupe, but the body on the coupe is fiberglass and is on a chassis that we don't want to move around much. Mike has another chassis that we will put this aluminum body on and hopefully paint to look like Coupey (what I call my unborn coupe). He is making a ton of progress with the metal and I can't wait to see the completed product. This is the same man that welded our roll bars for us.

We returned home and went out in the garage to clean. I organized the parts cabinet while Mike ???? Now that I think about it, I don't know what Mike did. I guess he must've cleaned the rest of the garage. How self centered am I?

Sunday morning we took a drive over to Scott's (Xlr8tor) new pad. His shop is perfect. Mike and I are extremely jealous. I suspect Mike is more jealous of the garage and I'm more jealous of his kitchen. WOW!!! Very nice kitchen. Probably the dream kitchen of every wife on this forum except maybe Frank (your wife has my dream kitchen too - I'm allowed to have more than one dream). Scott had already let us borrow the engine hoist back when Scoopy was without engine and he is continuing the loan (thank you). On top of that, he threw in a dolly that we can use to build the car on and not have to jack the coupe up all the time. I'm very excited about that. I took a ton of pictures of his car so that I could replicate certain things and because it's always good to have extra pics for build time. Truthfully, I think the car is gorgeous and I wanted pictures to ogle in my spare time. All the way home, I was whining to Mike that Scott's car is so nice and his house is nice and wah, wah, wah. I think Mike is going to let me find someone to redo the floors in the kitchen. Super, extra huge happy faced yay!

We got home and immediately rushed out in the garage to stare at Scoopy and get started on Coupey. I needed to take the horns off the manifold (excuse my terminology if it is wrong) so that I could mask off the correct areas and paint the manifold black. The nuts wouldn't come off of the sides because the horn stuck out too far. I could get the nut up to the bottom of the horn, but not off. Grrrrrrr. Many of the nuts I couldn't break loose myself and had to get buff husband to effortlessly tap them into submission. The next task was to remove the linkage screw in the middle. Can. Not. Loosen. Mike walks over and points out the allen wrench is the wrong size? Yeah, but it's close. The bigger one is too big and the smaller one is too small. Metric? Really? Grrrrr. Did you know the linkage is on a spring and when you loosen it enough it yoinks just like when taking a 1911 apart for cleaning? Good thing the pieces didn't shoot across the garage (like with the 1911). With everything finally loosened, I was able to grapple with the nuts on the sides and pull those off as well. Excellent. Mike came over and attempted to lift up on his half of the stacks while I lifted up on mine. Grrrr. They were stuck down with something that turned out to be red. Looked like lock tite to me. Mike pulled out the butane torch and made MEEEEEEEE put heat on the manifold. Noooooo!!!!! I only burned part of one rag. Let's just say that I don't like torching as much as welding or soldering. Mike pried the horns off and we lifted them gently to place them gingerly on the counter (where they still sit). I undid the studs and Mike and I (mostly Mike) used carb cleaner and hosed it off with water. Now I should be able to mask it up and then paint it. I saw the forecast this morning and my plan to do it this weekend is going to be foiled by foul rainy weather. Guess I'll have to hang out on the sofa with an intake and some tape tonight.

Kind of a long way to say we got some stuff and we got the intake ready for paint. Sorry. I guess I missed doing updates. Mike will be by later to add pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Good progress! Can't wait to see manifold painted, but I am a bit partial.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    should have it painted this weekend and back together. we are trying to collect parts, but not go crazy quite yet. Besides i still need to finish up the roadster. I am out there now and trying to get the oil cooler situated. We also want to get the garage setup before the coupe gets here. IE clean up the space, put some more crap in storage, etc. I already installed a larger flat screen in the third bay with a bose mini theater. That way i can sit back in the sofa and watch julie... kinda like the roadster build. Damn, cheap labor rocks!!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Week -5:

It's actually looking like my -5 guess is going to be pretty close. Mike forwarded me an email this morning saying the completion date on the Coupe is 2/16. Woohooooooo! Of course, Stewart has to actually transport it which could take a couple weeks. I'm going to continue my negative countdown with the current numbers until I know better.

I didn't get around to working on the intake during the week and the rain came as expected. Mike nagged enough (wait, what's the manly word for nagged...cajoled?) that I went out in the garage Friday night to actually do some work. Now that I think about it, perhaps it was Saturday morning. Regardless, I discovered that the red stuff was still attached to the manifold. Grrrr...Mike suggested Goof Off. Scrub, scrub. Nope. Mike suggested butane torch. Screams of "I don't want tooooooooooooo")!!!!! Nope. I suggested we do nothing. Smile, smile. Nope. We ended up going to the store and getting a round wire brush thingy that attaches to the hand drill. At first, I was terrified. Mike proclaimed it would be simple and just to be aware that it'll grab onto the sides, but I should have no trouble muscling it back. Worst case, he says, is take my finger off the drill trigger. Okay, I reply, but red flags were waving in my mental wind. It actually turned out to be a step below slightly scary and maybe a teeny bit almost enjoyable. I was quite impressed by my handiwork and plopped on the sofa with the intake and some tape. Probably should've thought to get a razorblade before I got settled, but what's a project without an extra trip or seventy to the tool box?

I created a masterpiece of tape. Truly, I've never taped anything that wasn't a wall before and I was impressed with how quickly I was able to learn. Mike is an excellent teacher. He was working on Scoopy the whole time (will update that thread later). Anyway, we laid down a large garbage bag on the garage floor (raining for 3+ days at that point) and Mike told me to shake, shake, shake. When my arm was jello-like, I was allowed to stop shaking. I was all ready to aim the paint can and squirt away. Mike must've missed the gleam in my eye since he didn't reach out to rescue the can. He was attempting to give me instructions, but I was impatient. I mean, I've seen him paint a thousand times. Squirt, squirt, paint, paint. Whatever. Looking back, I probably should've paid more attention to his words rather than the shiny metal can in my hand. My first squirt missed the manifold completely. I was rather shocked by my complete lack of skill. After a couple of button mashes, Mike leapt across the garage and knocked the can from my out of control finger. He did the first coat while explaining the proper technique. I got upset that he was doing all the fun stuff and ordered him to give me back the can. I am SO mature!!!! He refused and about 10 minutes later, kept a very close eye on me while I attempted layer two. I improved vastly during the next few coats and ended up with a product I am extremely proud of. Taking the tape off was uber fun and I was a little sad when it was over.

The horns are resting upon the intake once more, but they are not attached. First of all, I need that icky red stuff that's hard to remove so that I can restick the metal chunks together. Then I need longer studs. When I was unscrewing them, we discovered they were all hand tight and then when testing the length, Mike declared they were too short. Sad face.

I will admit that I did NOTHING else Coupe related over the weekend. The rest of this will be the normal blathering on and on, so those only interested in the car need not read any further. We were fortunate enough to steal a smidge of time from Karen Salvaggio (sorry if I spelled that wrong). She and her gorgeous racing Coupe happened to be close to us so we popped over to visit. I have to admit I was a little scared to meet her. I've seen the threads on her build and the races and I figured this is a woman that really knows her stuff. Eeeeeep! She's going to think I'm a pitiful excuse for a female since I don't want to race and I call stuff thingamabobs. Couldn't be further from the truth. I LOVE Karen. She is definitely a woman that knows her stuff, but she is incredibly friendly and supportive and I got the impression that she was just as thrilled about us getting a coupe as we are (even though it'll be an automatic and I'll never race it). I absolutely loved the side supports she added and I think Mike will weld them up for me. Yay! I am also a huge fan of the lumbar support she uses as a booster seat. MUST buy one. The rearview mirror is another must. I can't tell you how relieved I was to sit in her car (thank you Karen) and be able to see out. I was really getting concerned that I'd have height issues. The seats were comfy and the booster seat helps a ton and I fit really well. There is definitely an art to getting in and I suspect I'll continue to look like a drunk flamingo for years to come. That's okay since I'll look like a sober flamingo driving it.

Sunday afternoon Frank and Julie came over. It's always a ton of fun to hang out with them. We had a delicious dinner (I didn't cook) and laughed a whole lot. Thanks guys!!!! That's about it. I don't think I'm leaving anything out (juding by the length of this update, I doubt there is anything I could've possibly omitted). It finally stopped raining this morning, so yay!!!! Hope it stays dry so we can take the roadster out (once Mike fixes the linkage). Mike will be along shortly to add images.

Post Thanks / Like
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot this pic!!! Very fun day, thanks a ton for letting us play with your car!!!

photo.JPG
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    No mention of the security light? You know, the cool, wicked bright light that doesn't look ghetto. We enjoyed dinner, thanks again!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna talk about the light, but I was afraid everyone on here would find out what awesome contractors you and Julie are and then we'd have to stand in line to get the kitchen and bath done. The light is super awesome and mind numbingly bright. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just loved the description Mike gave me of the type of light he wanted. I had everyone in the lighting store laughing their a$$ off.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good Stuff! You guys are doing a killer job of documenting the build so far.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yayyyyy! A picture's worth a 1000 words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie, thanks for starting another FFR so I have another build thread to check. But jeez, did it have to be a coupe? You know that requires that I now look at another section of the forum every day to find this thread. All these extra mouse clicks!! Ha, ha. Actually, an autocross friend has a coupe that I lust over every time I see it so I am jealous! Great job!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we'll do a hot rod after this so you will have another section to check. Hee, hee.

Oh and I figure that if a picture is worth 1000 words, I'll just have to get Mike to post more pictures so I can put in more words. Loophole!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Third pic in post #66 is worth more than a thousand words. No disrespect intended!! Hottie indeed. You gotta be careful with us old guys, pacemakers and all!!!
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loeffler1 View Post
    Third pic in post #66 is worth more than a thousand words. No disrespect intended!! Hottie indeed. You gotta be careful with us old guys, pacemakers and all!!!
    I'm incredibly relieved pic 3 in post 66 wasn't a shot of Mike. Thanks for the compliment (blush).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Julie....What a pleasure it was to meet you and Mike last weekend! I truly appreciate your kind words, and am totally stoked that you are building a Coupe. It's been great following your family's roadster build over the last year, and I look forward to seeing your family, and that beautiful roadster, at Huntington Beach this year!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    One kind of a funny advantage to Freddie's steering has to do w/ how often you may need to push your car around in the garage. Bet you never thought of this, but if you turn on the key, you have power steering. No need to start the engine. Cool !

Post Thanks / Like
    Week -4:

Jingle bells, jingle bells. It's not Christmas? Huh. Well it is here!! Late last week, I heard the groan of the UPS brakes and the glorious ding dong of the doorbell. "Gooooooodies" I screeched as I raced for the door. Wilwood boxes. Excellent!!!!!! When Mike got home, I knocked him over and forced him out into the garage to watch me open the new boxes. I can't remember at this point if it was the front or rear set (I think front), but they were pretty. Lots of boxes with lots of parts that I hope go together and make nifty brakes. Mike will have to announce the important technical info. They are metal and pretty except for the calipers which are red and pretty. I know one set is 4 piston, but I don't know about the other. Six?

Saturday morning was a ton of fun as we went on a cruise with some other FF folks in the roadster. Had lots of fun. We returned and decided to clean the garage a smidge to move Scoopy over to the other side and the coupe would be welcomed home on the same side we built the roadster on. Mike got carried away and ended up parking diagonally in the garage. I don't think there is room for my new toy now. Sad face.

Nothing new to report on the coupe as we don't have it yet. I did make the huge payment. Wish the guy at the bank who was going to put in the wire transfer wouldn't have repeated the amount to me over and over "just to make sure". Large numbers make me nauseous when the money is going OUT of the account. It'll be worth it though.

Poor Steve had to get three teeth pulled tonight, but when we returned home, Mike announced I had goodies in the house. REALLY????? AGAIN?! Wooohoooo!!!!! This time the box was from Levy Racing. YES!!!!!! I wasn't sure what all would be inside. A quick swipe with the razorblade and bling was once again unleashed. Wilwood!!!!!!!! The other brake set arrived. I love, love, love, love, love the annodized blue fittings he sent. I have no idea what they do or where I'll stick them, but they are small and adorable and BLUE! Hee, hee. As I was unpacking, I pulled out a caliper. Ooooooh! It's so tiny. It was adorable. I turned to Mike with love twinkling in my eyes. Look! A baby caliper. He rolled his eyes and explained it's for the parking brake. Oh. Okay. So cute. I continued to unpack and discovered a second one. My eyes shot to Mike's in confusion. Two? Another eye roll. He told me they are racing brakes and so I need two. Ummmmm...okay. If you say so. I think they are adorable, so I'll take as many as Gordon wants to send. Wait, I mean they are manly racing parts with extreme performance attributes. Is that better?

Post Thanks / Like
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast