Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,320 of 1342

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty fishhook. Ha, ha. That made me laugh. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry even the best of us struggle with car stuff sometimes you are not alone. It took me 4 or 5 hours to install the same kit on my engine(outside the car) and you are right the instructions are bad and the hardware is wrong in areas and of poor quality, I was kinda disappointed as I was putting it all together seeing the front drive kit cost like 1900 but after it is together it looks fantastic. Struggle on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I feel better knowing I'm not alone in my struggles. I didn't work on the car last night because I wasn't feeling great. I feel much better today so hopefully I can steal a few minutes between chores tonight. I appreciate the support. I hate that frustrated feeling!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went in the garage last night before Mike got home. Figured I could put a pulley on. I'm a strong, independent woman. I found the pulley and attempted to mount it. Unfortunately, I could not find a bolt that worked. The instructions said 3/8 -16 x1. I know what that is. It slipped right in with no resistance. Well, I'll try a 7/16. Too fat. Is there anything in between? Could this be metric? Crap.

Mike came home and I dragged him in the garage. I want to mention it was hot. Really, really hot. I know it was 103 around 4:00. He opened the garage door (I can't because it is no longer on an opener and I can't even get it unlocked much less lift it high enough). I was hoping for a nice cool breeze. Nope. Hot air. Anyway, I handed him a 3/8 and then a 7/16. He looked briefly and told me I just needed a longer 3/8. What? But the instructions say...it slides right in...what? He explained I have an adapter on my balancer that isn't in the picture. I got him a longer 3/8 and it threaded right in. Looks like 1-3/4 is the best size.

Next step is installing alternator fan and pulley. The instructions say (and I quote because I have them here on my desk): Install Alternator Fan, Lock Washer and Alternator Pulley. I fetched aforementioned pieces and parts. Pretty fan. Check. Lock washer? Mike, is this round thing with a little slit a lock washer? Yes. Check. Pulley. Bling, bling. Check. Hmmmm...there is cardboard on the alternator sticky out-y part. Miiiiiiiike. He told me to take it off. Yeah, if I knew how to I would. He walked over and undid the nut. Oh. Well nobody told me I had to take that off. Smushed stuff back on, but how do you get the pulley to go all the way over the alternator sticky out-y thing? And while we are at it, is it one lock washer or two? The nut had a lock washer, but the instructions tell you to use one which appears to go between the fan and the pulley. There was one in the bag. I'm so confused. Mike fiddled and couldn't get the pulley on either. He told me to call tech support in the morning. I did. Tech support seemed as confused as me. They ended up telling me to send an email with pictures. I did. No response yet. I hope they have some advice. Looking online, it appears anything you do will cause the alternator to die prematurely. No thanks. Long live the alternator!!!!

Installing the belt is next. I don't feel like that is safe or sane. I'll maybe attempt it tonight (if I hear back from March). Eep.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're probably tired of hearing this, but I'm married to the most amazing man. We were in Europe for two weeks at the end of September. We returned late on a Saturday after an 11.5 hour flight and lots of delays. I was exhausted and had a cold and discovered we had a very sick dog. Jet lag was miserable over the next few days and Tuesday I ended up taking the dog to the vet where they told me there was no hope and I had to make the horrible decision to put her down. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Through all this, Mike has been right there supporting me and taking care of my sick, jet lagged, grieving self. I'm picking up her ashes today. She was with us 15 years (almost longer than our son). Anyway, I had to run some errands last night and I returned to find Mike had fixed the pulley issue. He ground out the inside bling and now it all fits. He is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm busy the rest of the week, but I'm hoping to work on the car early next week. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your dog, we lost our cat untimely while in CA. They grow on you like a fungus.
    Hope you can find some distraction in Coupy.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Like a fungus. Ha, ha. So true.

I had to run some errands last night which included picking up her ashes from the vet. It was rough and I returned home to find Mike had spent more time in the garage. He removed the intake so he can take it to have it polished and he finished putting the pulley/bearing thing all together. It looks beautiful and his thoughtfulness actually made me tear up (he thinks it's because of the dog). I may not be making any progress, but Mike is and I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jules-

So sorry to hear about your dog! I am sure its hard on each of you; the kids ok?

Glad to see you back, and I hope the rest of your posts are about happier things!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The kids are okay. Steve hadn't been with us in Europe, so he had seen her decline enough to realize the end was near. He had a little longer to prepare than the rest of us. Alyssa was very sad, but she's off at college so she isn't affected on a daily basis. I think it is hard for her when she is home, though. I hope the rest of my posts are happier too. Thanks for the sympathy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-n-Julie,

A very good friend gave me this once, hope it eases your sorrow.

Quote "God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in Dog Heaven, and when they are tired from running and barking and eating ham-sandwich biscuits, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping. God watches over each one of them. And there are no bad dreams."

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I miss her so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you looking for a new dog yet? After we lost our last two dogs, 2 years ago and 8 years ago, we both said maybe not another. As you know they are way more work than cats. But each time my wife and I caught each other on the web looking at rescue groups within 2 weeks. We have always had the same general type of dog but we make real sure to not duplicate coloring. We have never forgotten any of our dogs or cats. It is still extremely tough when we lose one. But I promise you, a new one really helps.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    No new dogs. We have Taco (Chihuahua) and he's not good with other dogs. He confuses them. He acts dominant and then submissive and it drives other dogs crazy. I don't know what will happen after Taco. Losing him is going to be devastating and I don't know if I'll be able to get past that to adopt another. I guess only time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss...I have been off the Forum for a while and was looking for an update? I mean, I have a Backdraft Cobra but car guys always look for the next grail...love the Coupe. So how is it going?

Post Thanks / Like
    Back on the coupe soon I hope. We are all missing your very enjoyable posts.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to find someone to polish the intake and it just seems impossible. These places do not return phone calls!!!!! Once that gets done, more progress can be made on the coupe. Poor little car. We still plan to go to HB in April. Thanks for asking and for your condolences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    I need to find someone to polish the intake and it just seems impossible. These places do not return phone calls!!!!! Once that gets done, more progress can be made on the coupe. Poor little car. We still plan to go to HB in April. Thanks for asking and for your condolences.
    I told Mike months ago that we have an excellent metal polisher here in Upland. Have Mike drop off the intake and I can take it over there for an estimate and get this moving forward for you.

Frank
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Or have it bead blasted w/ fresh beads and then clear coat it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why doesn't Mike tell me these things? I'll nag him. Thanks, Frank.

Mike told me before clear coat is easier to maintain, but won't have the same bling as polish. I'd like the intake to match the pulleys and other pretty things in the engine compartment. I'm not totally ruling out clear coat, but I'm leaning towards the bling, bling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike told me before clear coat is easier to maintain, but won't have the same bling as polish. I'd like the intake to match the pulleys and other pretty things in the engine compartment. I'm not totally ruling out clear coat, but I'm leaning towards the bling, bling.
    I HATE Bling:

If you want anything engine turned, let me know. I know a guy...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!! I'll definitely let you know if I find anything in need of an engine turned surface. I like your guy. He could be your twin. Ha, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be polished and then clear coated. It can even be powder coated clear after polishing. Ask Ziol about the clear powder coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to admit, I have not checked in for a while since I ended up with a roadster Cobra, but the Coupe still haunts me. Since I have one to drive now, a build that might take a while does not scare me, and a couple weeks back at Shelbyfest I was looking over some Factory Five Coupes and were very impressed. Any updates? This was always one of my favorite threads!

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a coupe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any updates. We moved last month and the car is on the lift and the lift is in the garage, but I'm sure you know how it is once you move. Unpacking and little household fixes take priority. Even Mike is itching to work on the thing. He had some major back issues for a couple weeks which slowed the whole process and he will be having surgery in October. Otherwise, we are spending less time at the cabin in hopes of getting things situated at the new house so that we can finally get back to work on the coupe. I'm hoping sometime soon I will be giving actual updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Julie, welcome back!! We have missed y'all and your awesome build updates! Congratulations on the new house and the lift.

So sorry to hear about Mike's back! I hope he's getting around OK and isn't suffering all the way to October. I hope surgery goes great, and the recovery even better!

I look forward to reading your updates soon. All the best to the whole crew!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the warm wishes. Oddly Mike's recent back problems actually have nothing to do with his back surgery in October. This was lower back and his surgery is for herniated discs in his upper back. He is always suffering, but not to the extent he was the last couple of weeks. It's such a relief to see him back to just his standard operating pain level.

Looking forward to getting back to work on the car. Hopefully the heat will die down some. I think it's 100 here today. Bleck. So. Hot. Ugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to see you update Julie. You know if it's just Mikes backside getting in the way of progress that help is just a pizza and beer away.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate that. It isn't JUST his backside causing issues. The garage hasn't really been in any condition to use. Up until the other day, it was stuffed with boxes to the point where you could barely walk. Finding a needed tool would've been next to impossible. He got some cabinets installed and a countertop so that helped. He still needs to do the floors and maybe paint the walls and install a couple of pantry-like cabinets before we can really get down to work. I've kept him busy on odd inside jobs (like putting handles on my closet doors so I could open them without breaking my fingernails) and installing a chandelier in my closet (mainly because I'm a princess and I wanted it). I've also had to buy some furniture which he has had to cart around. I can't be trusted to hang pictures or any sort of wall decoration, so that falls on him as well. Now that I think about it, I'm not really surprised his back hurt. Maybe I've been a little rough on him. In my defense, I hired movers for the bed set. I didn't make him lug the 300 lb dresser upstairs. I deserve a trophy for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie,

The best thing Mike can do for his back is to take the trapeze out of the bedroom. Remember, he is not as young as he once was. Hope all goes well in setting up you new home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually wondered if he should try one of those inversion table things. I should do some research on that. Anyway, setup is going well. We should be done before too much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie,

Welcome back. I have one that you can come pick up for free in Maine.
    I have back issues as well but it didn't seem to help me.
    Hope Mike's better soon and able to crank on the coupe.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Maine? I thought you were in Tehachapi or Bakersfield-ish. It'll take me a few hours to get there. Hmmmm...maybe weeks.

Thanks for the warm wishes. I'll whine enough he'll go out there just to shut me up. It takes time. I'm not quite as annoying as he claims.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was but that's a long story.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I like long stories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo How are things and Coupy, Mike and Julie? I am finally getting back to my build. Starting chassis wiring.wayne yoshida tech writer 005.JPG
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like we are in a competition to see who can do the slowest build. I think I'm winning. You are much further along.

Coupey hasn't gotten any attention since the move. Mike and Steve put epoxy on one portion of the garage yesterday. Mike and I worked a half day today so Steve and I built a garage shelf once Mike got home. That part of the garage is coming together. Now we only have three more bays to go.

Took Scoopy out for a little drive over the weekend. I think it has been a year since I've ridden in that car. I really enjoyed the ride (since Mike took it easy). It made me super want to drive Coupey though.

Happy 4th of July!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie:

I have a spinal condition and the VA, along with my insurance company have given me plenty of "toys" for my back. I do have an inversion table, but those only work depending on the type of back condition. I also have a TENS machine (sends electrical pulses via sticky patches to different muscles and/or ligaments) and that definitely works. It may be worth asking your insurance company if it's covered. Hope Mike feels better.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a while since you all posted an update. How are things coming?
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike had surgery three weeks ago and he's still recovering. This is his first day back at work without one of us driving and staying with him. He won't get clearance to lift or move his head much until at least the 26th. We put a new rack in the garage yesterday (Steve and Jacob - Alyssa's boyfriend). Mike wasn't allowed to do anything but supervise. It'll be for parts while working on the car. Super heavy racking. I mean incredibly heavy. I felt bad for the truck (and me since I had to drive). Mike said he thought it was strong enough to put an engine block on (wouldn't fit, but I agree regarding strength). So Coupey got to roll a foot or so during the install process. Probably really exciting for the poor car. I talk to Coupey whenever I go in the garage, but I don't think it's the same as getting worked on. Soon. As soon as Mike is healed enough to help, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear Mikey is doing well. Hopefully when he's up to it some garage therapy will do him good.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast