BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNS' 818SR Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    About time lol, what took you so long. It is all about leverage when getting most trannies apart. Good pics, keep up your teardown thread.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Does EVERY WRX valve cover leak at that same spot? Probably the 10th I've seen.
    Not sure about the wrx, but my 03 legacy did. The good thing is they are very easy to change and will be even easier once the engine is out of the car. both gaskets (and spark plug gaskets) for my legacy cost about $15-$20 so they arent expensive either. So not really a big deal

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't had a ton of time to work on the car, but I made some good progress this weekend.

I dropped the rear end as a whole and disassembled it off the car. This made it a little bit easier, but I still had some problem bolts.

After that I started to tackle the interior. I got the majority of it out, but still have a lot to do.

So far I have put in a total of 35 hours and 12 days. I don't know how some of you get the whole thing done in 15 hours! I feel like I'm going at a decent pace. Again, I am doing this alone and have never done anything remotely close to this before. I won't be able to work on it for a few weeks, but I feel like I'm at a good stopping point for now. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the donor tear down.

Post Thanks / Like
    It took me and a couple friends a total of about 40 man hours to pull it apart, virtually every nut, bolt and bracket was removed
    Since then I have another 40 hours reconditioning, powder coating etc so that right now all I need is the transaxle to come back from the LSD install. Wheel fitment, steering wheel and the will I be happy with the stock WRX seats are all that is left...

So you are not that far off what it took us to do it. The 15 hr folks have extensive WRX knowledge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    So far I have put in a total of 35 hours and 12 days. I don't know how some of you get the whole thing done in 15 hours! I feel like I'm going at a decent pace. Again, I am doing this alone and have never done anything remotely close to this before. I won't be able to work on it for a few weeks, but I feel like I'm at a good stopping point for now. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the donor tear down.
    For me, it was my DD and autocross car for 6 years. I had a lot of aftermarket parts on that were easier to get off, and I knew exactly where to look for what bolts and what method was best to remove it. 6 years of practice paid off. lol.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I love your idea for labeling the wires with the key fob things. it seems like those would be a ton easier and cleaner than tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh2pd View Post
    I love your idea for labeling the wires with the key fob things. it seems like those would be a ton easier and cleaner than tape.
    Thanks! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I've updated this thread. I've been pretty busy, but I've been steadily making progress. I found someone that is interested in all my body panels and frame which is going to be a huge win. He's not planning on picking it up until may, so I'm trying to get too excited because I've seen too many deals fall through. The only issue is I haven't figured out how to get the chassis off the lift and on to a trailer when he comes to pick it up. Anyone got any ideas?

Here's the log I'm keeping to show the breakdown of the work:

Post Thanks / Like
    "The only issue is I haven't figured out how to get the chassis off the lift and on to a trailer when he comes to pick it up. Anyone got any ideas?"

I had a similar issue when moving my frame onto and off of a trailer for powder coating. I had the frame on tall jack stands and was able to back the trailer under the rear of the frame, then use a wheeled floor jack (on the trailer) to lift up that end. With another set of wheels on the front, I was able to roll it the rest of the way onto the trailer. As for getting the front of the frame "on wheels," I bolted a piece of steel angle to an engine stand and bolted that to the frame. It was hokey but it worked. It was (or should have been) a 3-person job- someone on at least one side to prevent it from rolling over, another person on the trailer, and another person at the other end of the car to push the engine stand.

It looks like you could just lower the lift to the height of the trailer, back the trailer up to the lift, put 4 furniture dollies under the chassis and roll the thing forward onto the trailer, assuming there are no gaps to snag the dolly wheels. Perhaps a floor jack on the trailer and 2 furniture dollies under the back of the chassis would also work.

Post Thanks / Like
    8 guys and a case of beer should work...Can't weigh that much.
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    i wheeled mine around by setting it on a couple of car dolleys with a 2 by across the top of the dolley. I bet with some creative jack work you could lower it onto a dolley on the front and work it forward with a jack until it's on two dolley. The flat bed just winched it up and we removed the dolleys. only $100 or so of steel in it if you pull EVERYTHING.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice, I think a bunch of friends, some furniture dollies, and beer is the way to go.

I won't be able to work on the car for about a month, but I was able to at least get some work done over the weekend. I removed the front cabin wIring harness. I've tried to tag and label everything, but I already found a few connectors that left me asking "What the hell does that go to?" Oh well, such is life.

I have to give a shout out to my extremely patient wife. Her only stipulation with this project was that she has a garage spot every night and so far I have kept up my end of the bargain. With that said, she's still not too pleased that our guest bedroom and office look like this:

I'm starting to run out of room, but so far so good.

Last edited by GUNS; 03-30-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha! I showed my wife the pics and she gaveme her unamused face. Lol. Thankfully we have a basement to hide stuff.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey but look at it this way you could make a really sweet car bed for your guests

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yo Guns... tell me about that flush mount tire rack. I have a typical wall mount one and it sticks too far into the room. Where did you get that bad boy?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Yo Guns... tell me about that flush mount tire rack. I have a typical wall mount one and it sticks too far into the room. Where did you get that bad boy?
    Just went to Lowes and bought a couple of K-Rails: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

They have a bunch of different attachments for them and I used a couple of extendable metal rails for my mount. I used 2 rails per wheel. I wouldn't put a ton of weight on this setup, but it seems to hold the weight of the wheels fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    "The only issue is I haven't figured out how to get the chassis off the lift and on to a trailer when he comes to pick it up. Anyone got any ideas?"

I had a similar issue when moving my frame onto and off of a trailer for powder coating. I had the frame on tall jack stands and was able to back the trailer under the rear of the frame, then use a wheeled floor jack (on the trailer) to lift up that end. With another set of wheels on the front, I was able to roll it the rest of the way onto the trailer. As for getting the front of the frame "on wheels," I bolted a piece of steel angle to an engine stand and bolted that to the frame. It was hokey but it worked. It was (or should have been) a 3-person job- someone on at least one side to prevent it from rolling over, another person on the trailer, and another person at the other end of the car to push the engine stand.

It looks like you could just lower the lift to the height of the trailer, back the trailer up to the lift, put 4 furniture dollies under the chassis and roll the thing forward onto the trailer, assuming there are no gaps to snag the dolly wheels. Perhaps a floor jack on the trailer and 2 furniture dollies under the back of the chassis would also work.
    Bolt two 2x4 to the bottom and drag it with the winch like a sled, it will go right onto the flatbed .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    I have to give a shout out to my extremely patient wife. Her only stipulation with this project was that she has a garage spot every night and so far I have kept up my end of the bargain. With that said, she's still not too pleased that our guest bedroom and office look like this:

I know what you mean.... my wife would be PISSED if I just left the router on the floor like that. Wireless would be terrible!

also lol @ through all that dismantling... the snorkus abides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a lot of progress today. The car is mostly dismantled and all I really have left to do is remove any remaining bolts/brackets and clean up the chassis a bit before I sell it. Once the chassis is gone I will begin cleaning/restoring parts, which I am not looking forward to. I have a little over 60 hours in at this point. Luckily, there wasn't a whole lot that gave me much trouble. I took my time with it and really learned a lot. I can't wait to get some of these parts out of my garage to get ready for the new ones. I'm still waiting on a complete list, before I sell too much. I really don't want to sell something I think I don't need, just to find out I needed it after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice, if you got any questions on parts, refurbishing etc, I will be here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Nice, if you got any questions on parts, refurbishing etc, I will be here
    I may take you up on that, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I've updated this. Haven't done a whole lot of work on the car, mainly been busy selling stuff and doing other things with my life. So far I've sold a little over $1k in parts and have about 70 hours total into it. I just took the chassis off the lift and will hopefully be selling it this weekend. I can't wait to have an 818 sitting on that lift instead of the WRX!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shell is gone!!! I'm happy to see someone buy it instead of me having to scrap it. It's going to be used as a rally car which I think is pretty cool. Now I just need to sell some remaining unneeded parts, prep the parts I need, and clean up the garage. My 818 should be getting here in a few weeks and I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice workspace you've got there. Brand of scissor lift? Is that thing a PITA to drive over when you're using that side of the garage and not working on the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Nice workspace you've got there. Brand of scissor lift? Is that thing a PITA to drive over when you're using that side of the garage and not working on the car?
    It's an Atlas Kwik Bay 7000 and I have been extremely happy with it. Perfect for a low clearance garage. I parked over it daily with the WRX before I tore it down and it wasn't too big of a deal. I'm pretty sure the 818 will have some clearance issues so I will have to make some ramps or use some 2x4s or something to get over it. I may just have my wife park on that side when I'm not using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    818 should be showing up in about a week, so I'm working on refurbishing some parts. I don't have a blast cabinet or anything fancy so I'm just using some elbow grease and rustoleum. Below are some pictures of the front control arm refurbish. I didn't do a perfect job, but I'm pretty happy with the results, especially for an already ugly piece of steel that's going to get dirty again anyway. Next I'm working on the hubs and brakes.

This first picture is the control arms before as well as the cleanup of the bushings:

Next picture is the finished result:

Oh and my first aftermarket item came in:

Post Thanks / Like
    Too soon junior.

Let's see if anyone gets the reference. Lol.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Too soon junior.

Maybe you are referring to how I drive my white MK3 VW Jetta?

Post Thanks / Like
    Too soon junior.

Facepalm. This was on the other night. Still love these movies.... lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Too soon junior.

From Fast and Furious when Jesse pushed his nitrous button to soon. Johnny Tran goes on to win. (it was on last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I kno what movie it was from. It was on also on the 4th. Was grilling n knocking back some cold ones while I was working on my donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    DO you have a link to that specific momo steering wheel? I like the look of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Arms came out great, Who says you need the aluminum ones. Krylon touch FTW.

looking forward to seeing the knuckles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments. The wheel is a MOMO Mod .30 w/ buttons: http://www.momousa.com/racing/steeri...30buttons.html

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you going to use the buttons for?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Horn...if I can get it to work properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    wheel looks sweet. That's another thing I to think about more. I want a D ring for leg room, but I also don't want it to be too small for low speed (read: parking) steering effort. hmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    vin.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, no NAAAAWWWZZZZZZ for me. Relf, I don't think it will be too small. Actually, I think it's the perfect size for this car. I debated if I wanted a D wheel or not, especially since I am a shuffle steerer (is that a word?). I think it's actually going to be great as it adds some additional leverage. I'll review it once I get to drive the thing!

On another note, I got 1 of the front hubs done:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast