Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNS' 818SR Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking good bro, bet you can't wait to build it

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    how did you get that hub so clean? is it new?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    how did you get that hub so clean? is it new?
    Nope, I used some Oil Eater and a Dremel with a wire brush piece on low speed. After that I used some mothers aluminum polish. It's not perfect, but way better than it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the games begin! I had to rush to get this thing in the garage and then had a long day at work. Won't be able to start looking it over/opening boxes until tomorrow night. Looks great so far, but there are what appears to be some shipping related blemishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Happy for you guns, I was supposed to get mine sat, but they moved it up to weds

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew.. That's pretty! Can't wait for mine. Hope it comes sooner than November.

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats! sorry about the blemishes, any pictures of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh2pd View Post
    congrats! sorry about the blemishes, any pictures of them?
    Thanks! I'll wait until I speak with FFR and the transport company about it. They are relatively minor, but still a little frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome. Can't wait to help you. Better make sure the fridge is stocked.
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Thanks! I'll wait until I speak with FFR and the transport company about it. They are relatively minor, but still a little frustrating.
    keep us posted because at $1800 for the shipping to my house there better not be any blemishes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Happy for you guns, I was supposed to get mine sat, but they moved it up to weds
    Wonder if mine is delayed too. When I called yesterday it was being packed.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here... at 1900 its gonna be spotless or there gonna be buffing it out....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks good, fits nice on that quick lift. wife will be happy all the parts are coming back out of the bedrooms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you not planning on painting it? I had the intention of blocking my down, add som fill primer, block again and paint.

The body looks amazing, but in the few fiberglass parts i have dealt eith , they all required a little work to get them perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fateo66 View Post
    keep us posted because at $1800 for the shipping to my house there better not be any blemishes!
    +1................ No Excuse
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I don't really mean anything by saying this (more of an amusing observation), but I have to admit I chuckled to myself a bit when I read one thread that folks say "Backorders are OK" and another that says "No shipping damage!".

Looking forward to seeing the build. Is the windshield simply taped in place or is it already bonded?

Post Thanks / Like
    Please let us know when you talked to Colin at Stewart. He needs to know that customers may not be painting these which means that he needs to treat it like a real car when loading and transporting. No scuffs, scratches, etc are tolerated. Especially at the prices we're paying. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to say the blemishes are 'understandable', but probably not unexpected for one of (the first?) 818 deliveries by Stewart. Their history/expectation is that bodies will be prepped/painted.

I would think some vinyl protective wrap might be a good idea (with additional attention to paid in shipping).

I plan on putting a little time into the gelcoat (polish, etc...) but a scratch that requires filler or touch-up would upset me, as we are expecting 'no-paint' body panels.

Thanks for sorting this out for the rest of us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Please let us know when you talked to Colin at Stewart. He needs to know that customers may not be painting these which means that he needs to treat it like a real car when loading and transporting. No scuffs, scratches, etc are tolerated. Especially at the prices we're paying. Thanks!
    I agree. This is a new standard for FFR and we're going to have to push our delivery excitement to the side and inspect them as if it was a completed auto.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I spoke with Stewart today and they have been very professional. My 818 was the first one that they shipped and of course there will be some lessons learned. These lessons will be applied to the rest of you so that you don't have any issues. They sound committed to ensuring they nail down this process as it is different from the other kits. They are working with FFR to come up with a solution. If you are having your car shipped via Stewart I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure they will figure out a better process ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine may ship as early as tomorrow so we'll see how they do in round 2.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I hope there sending yours out soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Looks good, fits nice on that quick lift. wife will be happy all the parts are coming back out of the bedrooms.
    You spoke too soon. I pretty much swapped out blue parts for white parts

I at least cleared up the guest bedroom and consolidated everything into the "office." However, all of the boxes are taking up her side of the garage and she is not happy. Have I mentioned I have an extremely patient wife?

Got the inventory completed and everything looks to be high quality. I'm impressed with everything that comes with this kit for the price. I can't wait to get started, but the only item on backorder that I need is the manual! Luckily Wayne Presley has been nice enough to give me an initial vector so I can get started.

BTW, I love this lift:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Hey guys, I spoke with Stewart today and they have been very professional. My 818 was the first one that they shipped and of course there will be some lessons learned. These lessons will be applied to the rest of you so that you don't have any issues. They sound committed to ensuring they nail down this process as it is different from the other kits. They are working with FFR to come up with a solution. If you are having your car shipped via Stewart I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure they will figure out a better process ASAP.
    Excellent. I sent an email to Tony and Jason to cover this as well. I'm sure they'll get it worked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guns, what lift is that exactly? Looks better than the one I've been eyeing.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I finally got some time to work on the 818 a bit. So far I pre fit the front firewall and cabin aluminum and drilled all the holes. I'm going to remove them and have them powder coated later this week.

For those of you that have never done anything like this (like me), here are some tips that I think are useful:

-Cleco pins are great for holding the panels in place before you permanently attached them. I bought about 50 pins and the tool on amazon.

-To measure the holes, I used a combo of a ruler and this little measuring device I made. I drilled most of my holes at 2" spacing, but in some areas I did 2.5".

-I mainly used a standard electric drill with a 1/8 bit, but The right angle dremel attachment works wonders for the hard to reach areas (there are a lot!).

That's about it. It's a bit tedious, but not too bad. I wasn't happy with all of FFR's pre-drilled holes, so I will have a couple of random holes in the aluminum, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

There will be a ton of metal shavings when you are done, so have a shop vac handy to clean up the mess
    Last edited by GUNS; 07-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good Guns. X2 on the Cleco tool. I don't think you can build a Factory Five without one. And once you have it, you will find a million uses for them.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    X3! Love the Cleco's (or whatever the plural is). They make the build a whole lot easier/quicker! Their are a lot of holes to drill and I need to get that right angle attachment! Some of those holes are impossible to get to without breaking a bit!
    FFR '33 #325 built with hazelwwp & FFR 818-S #11 Delivered on July 21, 2013
    Facebook 818-S/R Build Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Facto...78385198877613
    Forum 818-S/R Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Build-Thread!
    FFR Project 818 Owner's Registry on Google Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    X3! Love the Cleco's (or whatever the plural is). They make the build a whole lot easier/quicker! Their are a lot of holes to drill and I need to get that right angle attachment! Some of those holes are impossible to get to without breaking a bit!
    Yea, I've gone through a few bits already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice work. I've got a 25 pack of 1/8 drill bits ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I built my Cobra, I took the elastic off an old pair of jockey shorts. Laid it out on the workbench and without stretching it I used a black sharpie and put lines on it about 1" apart. Very easy to stretch it so you get evenly spaced rivits. Drill and cleco each end then stretch the elastic between them. When you get the right spacing, the clecos will not only hold the aluminum to the steel tubing but will also keep the elastic stretched.

I found it to be very easy and gives a great look. You won't end up with 2 rivets near an end spaced closer than the others.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of drill bits, does anyone have a good source for the #11 and #30 bits recommended in the build books for the other FFR cars? My local roadster guys said it made the whole riveting process easier as they are few thou bigger than 1/8 (.191 vs .187) and 3/16. I see this one - http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...UGE-DRILL-BIT/ , but no experience with them.
    " That which is rightly done, however humble, is noble." Sir Henry Royce

SN 46 In the building 10/4/13.
    Go Cart 10/20/16
    Coupe Conversion
    EJ205 Wagon donor

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    someone say cleco?Skins going on LH fuselage.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcintyre View Post
    Speaking of drill bits, does anyone have a good source for the #11 and #30 bits recommended in the build books for the other FFR cars?
    I order weekly from Mcmaster Carr for work, they offer decent discounts when you're buying in bulk. http://www.mcmaster.com/

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike everson of replicaparts is a ffr vendor. He can sell you the drills and clecos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval_bowtie_guy View Post
    When I built my Cobra, I took the elastic off an old pair of jockey shorts. Laid it out on the workbench and without stretching it I used a black sharpie and put lines on it about 1" apart. Very easy to stretch it so you get evenly spaced rivits. Drill and cleco each end then stretch the elastic between them. When you get the right spacing, the clecos will not only hold the aluminum to the steel tubing but will also keep the elastic stretched.

I found it to be very easy and gives a great look. You won't end up with 2 rivets near an end spaced closer than the others.
    I like that idea. What a great solution!

One question that comes to mind is how important the particular spacing is. For example, when building a house the stud spacing is important because many things are built specifically around that standard spacing. This doesn't seem like the spacing would matter that much, but I've never done it before, so what do I know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I like that idea. What a great solution!

One question that comes to mind is how important the particular spacing is. For example, when building a house the stud spacing is important because many things are built specifically around that standard spacing. This doesn't seem like the spacing would matter that much, but I've never done it before, so what do I know!
    There really isn't anything about the spacing that is important. You want them close enough so you don't have big gaps between the rivets where the silicone sealant will cause a slight warp in the panel.

I did thousands of rivets on helicopters in the Marine Corps. There, the rivets were structural and spacing was important. Here with these it isn't. It is more for appearance than anything. Having them all in a nice straight line and with even spacing really makes it look a lot more professional.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rather than tear up my undies causing them to potentially get in a bunch I'll probably buy some elastic banding at the store. I do like that idea though!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Around here the Home Depot and Lowe's carry number drills.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast