FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood Clearance Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Hood Clearance Issue

Hello Everyone...hoping someone has run into this problem and might have a solution. I'm running a SBC with the FFR motormounts. I don't have enough clearance between the hood and air cleaner. Without the spinner on the filter, its resting on the air cleaner but within 1/2 of the hood clearing...The carb is a Holley Street Avenger 570 with a Holley Powershot air cleaner (2 5/8 inch height from carb flange). An extra inch would probably clear everything.

-The lowest profile air cleaner will only provide me 1/8 inch extra clearance
    -Does anyone know how much extra clearance over the supplied hood, the FFR Extra Clearance Hood has at 29 inches from the front? I know that it starts at 1.5 inches addtional clearance and then tapers back.

-Would it be cheaper to have a cowl put into this hood?

I'm sure there is a solution and probably several that I haven't thought of.....any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably cheaper to put an intake cowl on it and I think it looks better too as well as getting cool fresh air to the carb. Many have had this problem (even with the 302) and I know the overall height on a 350 is a bit taller. I think the extra clearance hood was really designed to help those with FE engines with the air intake being up front but I'm not sure. It does provide a bit more clearance in the center too for the carb'd air cleaner just not sure how much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Erik...I ended up with a deeper air cleaner base from Mike Forte...it now clears with the spinner, but just clears. I was thinking of removing a 2" round section out of the bracing just to give the spinner some breathing room. This may delay any drastic changes and keep the build going along.

I agree, if I run into any other problems an intake cowl is the way to go...or the solution on the '33 Machine is classic. As always, thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a hole in mine and the air cleaner comes through. I think it looks pretty good.

20160620_175531.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am building a 33 with a SBC with Fast Fuel Inj. I have 2 1/2'' clearance above the intake. My air cleaner is 3 1/2'' tall. I need 2'' more clearance. Anyone know of an air cleaner that will drop down over the carb and still have the same amount of intake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interested in hearing the responses. Does the BluePrint SBC fuel injected filter box sit this high too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Made my own hood scoop to clear CJ intake, lots of work, but one of a kind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a SBC 350 (chevy performance SP350/387), but ordered the extra clearance hood which provides enough space. Its one option, but probably a bit expensive to get FFR to send you a new hood.