Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Selling donor parts on Ebay?

Post Thanks / Like

Selling donor parts on Ebay?

Guys - I have been lurking around here for a while.
    My 818 is scheduled for delivery mid-July and I purchased a mint 2002 WRX (169k miles - $2400) with a bottom end knock that I am in the process of rebuilding.
    I have been selling the body parts from the donor on Kijiji (I'm in Canada), but I am curious how much success you have had selling the smaller parts on Ebay.

Any recommendations for the most popular parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    trunk, hood, lights, doors, minus what you need, airbags, roof if you want to cut it off, fenders etc etc

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sold a ton of stuff on craigs list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ebay is your friend... ;-) I've sold a bunch of stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful of prepaid shipping from buyer or parcel post (no tracking number). When I parted the Vette I sent out 11 small packages over a two day period. They were small (under $30.00 each) I sent them the cheapest way I could, parcel post. Well of the 11 sent I had 9 reported to paypal that they were not recieved. Since I could provide no tracking number paypal took the money out of my account and gave it back to the buyer.....Nearly $300 gone. The next one was even better. Shipped the trans and diff prepaid, when the buyer had not picked it up I got a call from UPS saying I had to pay to have it shipped back and since it was not in my possession I had to pay the "regular rate" which was more than both pieces were worth. Well funny how the buyer calls and says he went and looked and the parts looked like they had more miles then I stated (even though he got a copy of the title) and he would pick the items up for a $600 discount. What got me was the next statement, "my buddy says they are about to send it back on your dime". I am guessing that this is a way for people in the mailing industry to make money. I bet they split my $600 and sold the parts for a profit to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW Kalstar- That's some hard earned advice! So sorry you had that experience, but you probably just saved a bunch of people some money!!

Thank you for sharing your experience, although I am so sorry for your expensive lesson!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    prepayment with paypal, ups to ship,put in pkg size and weight, it calculates fees, tracking included, ebay takes about 11%
    i look up what they are selling for and post with buy it now or best offer... it has worked very well for many parts
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 01-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember the answer to this - if there are $0 funds in your paypal account, will they pull money out of your connected bank account in the event of a dispute? If the answer is no, perhaps you'll have slightly more security if you keep it empty as much as possible. I always do anyway since I'd rather make the interest than let paypal make money on my funds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep a low $ in the account and always use a CC for purchases as I can work with my CC company on disputes as well. Though I have found ebay to work well and have worked disputes from both sides with satisfactory results....

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering how pervasive subaru discussion forums are I'd skip eBay and Craigslist entirely. People part out entire cars there with great success all of the time. Many folks have really really bad feelings about eBay in general so I'd be willing to bet you'd actually get more 'bids' on Nasioc than eBay as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    trunk, hood, lights, doors, minus what you need, airbags, roof if you want to cut it off, fenders etc etc
    I thought it was illegal to sell an airbag for some reason. Is that not the case?