Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is anyone planning a non donor build?

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone planning a non donor build?

I have been following this Kit for about one month now, and am still in the planning stages of what my intentions are. I am not looking to start until late 2014 so i am starting to think about going non donor for this kit.

I don't have the space for a donor car and the kit, nor do I have the want to part a car out, or deal with it after i have the parts needed.

I have found a few good websites that sell OEM subaru parts, as well as I would utilize some ties I have with a local Subaru dealership.

I am just curious if I am the only one thinking about going this route?

This is going to be my first kit car build, but I have built a few cars from production vehicles to toys.

My main reasoning behind going no donor is I am going to freshen the motor anyways, upgrade certain braking parts, as well as transmission parts. The parts I have priced out and made a sheet with equal a donor car without the headache of the donor car.

Sorry for the long first post, but I look forward to contributing with my knowledge, and learning more as this thing nears production.

-Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the vendor section. AJW performance is selling various donor packages, I'm considering them for my donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have indeed looked at their website. I don't know what the plans are yet for the car. I know I want reliable and fun so I will probably do a mild build with a 18g turbo kit. Again it won't be a daily but it will be built so it could be and it won't be a track monster but it will be built so its suitable to be. 300-330whp will be more than enough for starters. You can always go bigger.
    Last edited by Simpliicity-; 01-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will probably do as you are thinling..........Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to do it again I would have bought a AJW donor kit. I spent way more money fixing my 2002 WRX donor parts. While I enjoyed the work the cost was more than I expected. A low mileage donor kit is the way to go IMO.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you you ever heard the expression "greater than the sum of its parts" It's true about most things but cars are not one of them. It always seems to be cheaper to buy a whole car than all the parts seperately and putting it together yourself. Plus parting out the donor and selling off the pieces you don't need is a great way to recoup some of the price of said donor.

That being said once the first kits ship, you'll know the EXACT part list needed to pull this kit off. Everything adds up but I think if you are resourceful and a bargain hunter, it would be possible using oem sites like subarugenuineparts.com (great pricing) and salvage yards to build the car for a good price without a buying whole donor.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to buy all new parts OEM or aftermarket when I build the 818 Coupe. I know it will cost more but if you can afford to build a kit car, buying new parts should not be a problem. I just cannot convince myself to put in used warn out suspension or steering parts into a brand new car that I am building.
    I found a place that sells long blocks with a 3 year or 100K warranty for under $3000. I will pick up a used transmission and rebuild it.
    I am waiting for a parts list to build a spreadsheet to add up how much it would cost to buy new OEM and aftermarket parts. I will also be watching to see what others do and buy and if I like it I will incorporate into my build. Example: Projector Headlights and aftermarket seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    DBJR63 I am following you as well. Found a shortblock with better pistons for 1950 and built heads for 600 a side.

A decent build on this motor for everything new can go 5-7k depending what you do. I am very particular and a totaled donor just to have parts isn't what I would want. I agree its the cheapest easiest path but I know me I would have to find the cleanest lowest mileage donor I could find and that puts me at 11-15k just for a donor car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjr63 View Post
    I plan to buy all new parts OEM or aftermarket when I build the 818 Coupe. I know it will cost more but if you can afford to build a kit car, buying new parts should not be a problem. I just cannot convince myself to put in used warn out suspension or steering parts into a brand new car that I am building.
    I found a place that sells long blocks with a 3 year or 100K warranty for under $3000. I will pick up a used transmission and rebuild it.
    I am waiting for a parts list to build a spreadsheet to add up how much it would cost to buy new OEM and aftermarket parts. I will also be watching to see what others do and buy and if I like it I will incorporate into my build. Example: Projector Headlights and aftermarket seats.
    I would be interested to know your source for the longblock? That seems pretty cheap for a reman'd longblock, if it's complete. The warranty is a bonus, too. Which version longblock is this? EJ205, EJ255, or EJ257?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not a replica, and I don't see it as a $15 k car either. This would be do or die for me, in that I would do it right and I unless I find a very good donor I would go all parts and electrical
    aftermarket. I don't like the idea of taking a greaseball and refurbishing it - you will spend more. I would start with the ISIS system and be looking at all those SUBE aftermarket suppliers.
    I see this costing as much as a nice roadster 30 - 35 k-sorta-like building a home and if you haven't done that, it is always more than you expected. I would like to buy a finished motor from a shop that has a lot of experience with these motors that I don't have. I guess i'm too old to "learn" the tricks of a different type of car(Subaru), there is enough tricks with a kit.
    I don't want the Sube seats and I don't want to sell them either-the wheel has got to go, but you need the assembly --on & on..
    If I were a shop with time and helpers, that would be different, I am just ONE good-looking guy with my garage. Again ,this is also why I am going to sit back a little and watch this unfold a bit before I jump in. There will be a lot to learn from the first builds and I don't want to go back and do it again "the way I really wanted it"
    Last edited by THE ITALIAN; 01-15-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No donor for my build. I'm going to build it like I do my Legos.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    No donor for my build. I'm going to build it like I do my Legos.
    You mean like you can't find the a matching red block so you use the yellow one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAwender View Post
    You mean like you can't find the a matching red block so you use the yellow one
    Yep- Piece by piece
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    The Italian I build houses for a living so I understand your saying. I get homeowners who right after buying their house finished ask me for vendors to ad this or change that. Granted I build semi customs but still. It was an option why not get it the first time around. I plan on this being my first of many kit builds and I presume it will also be my longest. I can do everything myself aside from a major motor build (honing balancing blue printing boring etc.) so I'm going to do it my way and build the car exactly how I would want it the first time. The only reason I will pull the motor is when I get bored with the first stage or something catastrophic happens to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I manage multimillion dollar construction projects, and it's possible to come in at or under budget. You have to spend more time planning and making certain you know what you want and how to get it before you start. That's easier said than done for most. Also, this kit will be new so it will be much more difficult to plan for all the unknowns. Sometimes you have to spend time and money to make sure don't spend more time and money later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I am starting my plans now with a spread sheet but I have no set budget as of now. Still planning stages for me. I know one price that's set in stone, 10,000 for the kit .