BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quick and dirty donor teardown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick and dirty donor teardown.

Friends, I am planning a donor teardown in my driveway. I need to get this done quickly once I begin,
    for reasons of neighbor politeness and to prevent marital strife. When we drop this wreck out front I
    intend to gather my parts that must be reused and dispose of the remainder by having it hauled to
    the scrap metal facility nearby on a flatbed tow truck that can winch it aboard.

Is there any likely problem with taking a "saws all" to the door pillars to remove the roof? I have some
    mobility issues and this will help me. Other than getting the door hinges, seats, and steering column with
    guage pod removed and the shift / e-brake actuators.......what must come out friom the interior??

I expect to carva away much of the front metal to access the engine compartment, though I will not
    cut any wires or hoses. I hope to remeove the engine and tranny as a single unit if I can manage it.

Do any of you more Subaru experienced guys see any big trouble with this approach? I will do my cleaning
    and assembly in the garage, but will take much more time doing that. This donor tear down should occur
    next spring / summer.....some months before I anticipate seeing my 818s kit.

Grandaero

Post Thanks / Like
    No one is really sure what is needed from the interior, so most of us saved everything. As for the sawzall: I was in a front end wreck and sawzalled the front bumper beam off. To make it easier to tow the scrap for recycling I cut the whole thing into pieces. Made a time lapse video too. The video doesn't show the doors coming off or the bumper beam being removed.

https://vimeo.com/46070474
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I would pull the head unit, door cards, hvac controls, speak, trim pieces, and anything else worth any value and try listing them on nasioc, ebay or even on here if there are people trying to fix up their wrx till they chop it up. check out some of the threads on here about people selling their old stuff making their wrx very cheap. I'd think you would be okay cutting away the roof as long as you plan on not moving it again since roofs are a structural part of most cars. I would pull the engine and trans before cutting the roof off. Good Luck with the tear down!

ps. you will also need the steering wheel unless you are buying an aftermarket one.

PPS. Mechie3 if you dont mind how much was your engine hoist and where did you get it? I love the fold up feature. Good work!
    Last edited by rjh2pd; 01-15-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandaero View Post
    Other than getting the door hinges, seats, and steering column with
    guage pod removed and the shift / e-brake actuators.......what must come out friom the interior??
    I'd go off of what's posted here:

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/pro...what-you-need/

Here is the list of parts that are being used currently on the prototype:
    • Front spindles with full brakes and front lower control arms
    • Rear spindles with brakes and e-brake handle/cables
    • Steering rack, tie rod ends, and upper steering column assembly
    • Pedal box and throttle pedal
    • Master cylinder and brake booster, and clutch master cylinder
    • Engine with turbo and intercooler (if WRX model)
    • Exhaust manifolds, O2 sensors, and down tube
    • Transmission
    • Rear lower control arms, toe links, and CV joints
    • Front seats, front seat belts, and gauge pod
    • Fuel pump
    • Radiator
    • Wheels and tires
    • Door hinges, front w/ latches,strikers, and inside door handles
    • Side view mirrors, left and right
    • Rear view mirror
    If you have purchased a donor car and are in the process of disassembling and prepping parts, it is important to save as many parts as possible. The following list are parts that you can definitely resell or discard as they are not needed.
    2002-2007 Subaru Impreza/WRX parts NOT NEEDED:
    • Main body shell (BUT save all bolt-on brackets and hinges)
    • All window glass
    • Headlights and tail lights
    • Rear differential
    • Driveshaft
    • Headliner and interior pillar moldings
    • Carpets
    • Front and rear suspension cross-members
    • Front struts and springs
    • Rear struts and springs
    • Rear seat cushion, back, and rear seat belts
    • Spare tire
    • Fuel tank shell (but keep for fittings and internals)
    *NOTE: The 818 prototype is being built and this parts list is subject to change. If it is not listed above, DO NOT DISCARD.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you keep the entire wire harness till we find out more of what will be used of it. The what you need list has changed from the beginning. It may change again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch for wires, you need to remove everything before taking out the heavy equipment as wires run all over the place and having a complete harness s a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh2pd View Post
    PPS. Mechie3 if you dont mind how much was your engine hoist and where did you get it? I love the fold up feature. Good work!
    It was free, borrowed from a friend. Not sure where he got it. Likely a harbor freight special.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports