Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cruise Control

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cruise Control

Any 818S guys planning on installing cruise control? The DBW guys should have it pretty easy, and for DBC, l was looking at the modules and they shouldnt be too hard to hide somewhere. I don't think i'll be installing on mine, but for those that plan on it, do you think it will be too twitchy with such a light car?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll install it, since my car is DBW. If it's too twitchy, I can just remove the lever on the steering wheel. I wonder if the cruise is adaptive? In my 06, most of the time I used cruise, it wouldn't engage boost unless I was going up a steep hill. In the 818, without boost, it might not be too bad.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't build an "S" it without it. Even if I had to settle for an aftermarket system.

"twitchy" ? Are you asking if it will be able to maintain vehicle speed within a certain tolerance?

I expect it to operate just as it does in the donor. Less vehicle weight will decrease the systems work load so it should work as expected.

To keep the install as simple as possible, during tear-down of the donor keep the ENTIRE SYSTEM INTACT. There will likely be a requirement to extend wires or make other minor modifications from the systems original state to complete the install. But If you can keep it as close to plug-and-play as possible you should have trouble free operation.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    twitchy meaning the throttle modulation is calibrated for a 3600lb car, so when cruise control activates, I imagine the car will accelerate much faster than intended, when the speed sensor sees the increase it will slam the throttle shut. On my modified 05 the cruise comes on very strong especially under load. I imagine it will be more pronounced on the lighter 818, but that's just a guess.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ That was my thought. I just hope that since it doesn't usually go into boost, it won't be OMG THROTTLE with the rear wheels breaking free just a bit more than you're used to, but nothing uncontrollable or violent.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not planning to do HP mods so that increases the chances it will function with in an acceptable tolerance.

I'll know how it functions (good or bad) when I hit that stage in the build.
    Last edited by VD2021; 01-17-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added "it"
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely not, and prob no abs either. My 818 will have a radio, heat/ac, and that's about it.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering all the "proper" donors had it, it would likely be just as much work to remove it than to keep it. The controls are already on the steering wheel.

On the 2.0 liter cable throttle cars all you would need to do is mount the actuator in the engine bay and plug it back in. On the 2.5 liter drive-by-wire cars all you need to do is plug everything back in.

Weight savings is virtually nothing. A few OZ for the wheel controls and maybe 1/2 pound for the actuator on cable throttle cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning to have cruise on my 818, for those long boring drives to the local track (Mid-Ohio). The funny thing is that on my 2002 wagon donor, it is the only thing that doesn't work. If any one is planning to not use the cruise control, PM me so I can buy your cruise control parts to get mine working again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i will sell it to you
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, that's the info I was looking for. Search function is sometimes useful.

Hopefully those who will install cruise control will post here.

Like VD2021.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Cruise is essential for my street car... sometimes you just have to take the highway.

As far as weight and how it works... should be fine, consider a truck full or empty, even my 1/2 ton goes from 5000 to 6500 lbs loaded and the cruise works either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Murtaya has cruise control on it, and when it engages it does seem to get up to speed a bit quicker than a normal STi would, but it's not too bad, especially if it's just maintaining speed and not 'catching up'. I drove it for over 1000 miles from Denver to Seattle and I had no issues with the CC.

Now keep in mind the Murtaya is probably a few hundred pounds heavier than the 818 is projected to be and is still AWD, but I don't think you will be put off too much by the behavior of the cruise control in a lighter car.

The bigger issue might be (at least it was for me): where are you going to mount the controls? If you use the stock wheel, you will be good, but I'm guessing a stock steering wheel will be far too big for this car (it was for mine). I'd suggest looking at a Prova or GTSPEC D-shaped rim replacement (they keeps the center of the wheel, cruise control, etc., and replace the wheel rim with smaller, thicker wheels). If you go with a full aftermarket wheel--especially a removable one--you might have to mount the controls elsewhere...
    Last edited by Hiryu; 07-07-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the ISIS system can control all that from the touch screen (for those using ISIS), they claim you can ask them to configure anything you want. As long as the cruise control hardware and wires are connected to the ISIS control board, of course.

There seems to be some universal controls as well, for which you can have a bunch of switches, even dash mounted buttons. http://www.rostra.com/aftermarket-cr...-by-rostra.php
    Last edited by Frank818; 07-08-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on this at all? Anyone running the DBW cruise control with an external mount control? Looking to run an aftermarket steering wheel but maintain cruise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STimedic View Post
    Any updates on this at all? Anyone running the DBW cruise control with an external mount control? Looking to run an aftermarket steering wheel but maintain cruise.
    STimedic, I'm using the WRX DBW cruise control with the Factory Five steering wheel, which would be the same for any Momo-type wheel. I cut and bent the steel piece under the steering column so I could mount the cruise control lever. After cutting some of the plastic column shroud the lever is easy to reach down near the dash. It works very nicely with all the OE controls - set, resume, etc. - and is not "twitchy" as some thought, but works just like the OE cruise control. If these photos don't make sense let me know.

Cruise Control lever.jpgCruise lever install.JPG
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-26-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: photos
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering if I can simplify the cruise control to just have one toggle in the wiring which would be the "set" feature. I have an 03 wiring harness and it looks like all I would have to do would be to put a switch between the RG and LgB wires for me to be able to set a speed. I am assuming that the brake and clutch cancelling mechanisms would be un affected. If anyone has any expertise in doing so that would be very handy.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.09.23 PM.png
    Last edited by iblackwe; 02-27-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    AZPete, brilliant! I'll be using a Sparco Prodrive steering wheel and short hub, so this would be worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    A question for you wiring wizards. I would assume that the wheel speed sensors (ABS) are required for the cruise control to function. Is it possible to get it working with only one or two sensors? We are not close to wiring yet, but just thinking ahead. We've blocked the front holes off already with the plates we bought from Craig, and then I saw this thread. I always use cruise in other vehicles. I find that it helps lower the amount of speeding tickets, lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not wiring wizard as you can tell from my previous question... but as far as I understand for MY 2002-2004 the vehichle speed sensor is in the manual transmission so you do not need the ABS rings or sensors. i believe they removed the speed sensor from the transmission in 2008+ model years. IMG_3040.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    I am not wiring wizard as you can tell from my previous question... but as far as I understand for MY 2002-2004 the vehichle speed sensor is in the manual transmission so you do not need the ABS rings or sensors. i believe they removed the speed sensor from the transmission in 2008+ model years. IMG_3040.PNG
    Thanks. Our donor is an '05, so I think we'll be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE FURNACE View Post
    A question for you wiring wizards. I would assume that the wheel speed sensors (ABS) are required for the cruise control to function. Is it possible to get it working with only one or two sensors? We are not close to wiring yet, but just thinking ahead. We've blocked the front holes off already with the plates we bought from Craig, and then I saw this thread. I always use cruise in other vehicles. I find that it helps lower the amount of speeding tickets, lol!
    Not required, wine works great, no tone rings on the car.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    . . . , wine works great, .. .
    LOL, I agree, Dan.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    OOPs mine works great
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE FURNACE View Post
    Thanks. Our donor is an '05, so I think we'll be good.
    You should be good unless you upgrade to STI or legacy trans, then you need the sensors and a module for the VSS wire

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bbjones. I think I'll stick with this transmission unless
    it grenades. I'm still debating on an LSD, and kind of leaning towards installing one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    I am wondering if I can simplify the cruise control to just have one toggle in the wiring which would be the "set" feature. I have an 03 wiring harness and it looks like all I would have to do would be to put a switch between the RG and LgB wires for me to be able to set a speed. I am assuming that the brake and clutch cancelling mechanisms would be un affected. If anyone has any expertise in doing so that would be very handy.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.09.23 PM.png
    Does anyone know if I have wired this correctly without the original cruise control switch and just a momentary on/off rocker for the "set" feature. I am about to button the dash up and if anyone has any suggestions prior to me finding out by trial and error that would be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine mounted and my impression is that I would win any cruise control race.
    Although with that said, it's not hard to use and it does boost on accel.
    I started using it on long drives and it's easy to use on street if you leave enough room between cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where I live, I can't use cruise control on the highway even if I wanted to. Too many damn cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where I live you can cruise control on secondary roads... Moderate sized State, only 1.3 million people, most living in the lower 1/3 of the State. Love the low population density.
    Dan