Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Canadian Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Canadian Kit

Hi everyone.

Looking at building a coupe and I have a question. What is the differance between the full kit and the Canadian kit?

I have a lot of mechanical experiance from my years of racing mustangs and after a chat with the wife we decided to look at a kit. I have my old Dart based 408W from my last car and the C4/5000 stall combo from it also. Have the 8.8 all welded up with 31 spline axels and a 3:73 gear set. Girdle and braces also. All my electronics and fuel system will come from the spares pile and other than wheels I think I have all I need.

My concern is the canadian kit will leave me with a lot of "sourcing" parts that are listed in the full kit.

Thanks

S

P.S any one in the Toronto are have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Whitby Motors on the web and you'll see "Canadian Completion Kits" for Roadsters and 33s. This includes some suspension stuff, wiring, fuel system stuff that Transport Canada won't allow you to import directly from Factory Five. It's pretty easy to get this stuff into Canada. You should consider the day long drive from GTA to Wareham and pick up your kit at the Factory Five facility. Great bunch of people. You don't need a big fancy trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey 408.
    I just bought my Gen 2 coupe and a completion kit from Whitby. Transport Canada doesnt want a complete kit shipped in, so FFR sells a less expensive kit that 2 is missing a critical component from almost every system in the car-- so you are missing the coilover shocks, the rearend, lower control arms, fuel system, brake system, some of the electrics and various little peices. The completion kit takes forever to arrive-- i ordered mine in Aug and just got it the first of December.
    I read what you have, and I think you will still need the completion kit. You will probably upgrade various pieces, but still save a ton of time not having to source all the little things you dont think of-- pedals, clutch adapter, harness,,, blah blah blah.
    If you have a really big spares pile, and a the extra time to make some of it fit properly, then forgo the extra kit.

I bought the extra completion kit, and the rear-end form FFR, and as of today ( 6 weeks in) I have my engine running, and will hopefully be ready for bodywork and paint by the end of March. I will admit not everything fits perfect, but all my components are new, and have had SOME testing by FFR. No sandblasting or stuck bolts.

good luck!

chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 408W

I've been looking into the completion kit vs. donor parts question. Most of the people seem to think its better to go with the completion kit, a lot of the time the donor parts need a bunch of work and it ends up costing just as much as new. Whitby offers two different kits, one gives you all the parts to bring it up to the U.S. base kit and the other brings it up to the U.S. complete kit. You might want to contact them to see if they can make up a kit with only the things that you need. I believe Western Canada Cobras in BC also sells a completeion kit.

There are a few coupes in and around the GTA, I went to look at Mike Jone's car in Barrie last summer. He is a great guy and was more than happy to let me look at the car and answer my questions. He has a web site showing his build - Google Mike Jones + 65 coupe. You can also look up Tony G and Fluge on the form. I'm sure there are more around, but these are the ones I know of.

Thanks John