BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Could the GTM run in the Rolex 24 (24 Hours of Daytona)

Post Thanks / Like

Could the GTM run in the Rolex 24 (24 Hours of Daytona)

Looking at the rules, it looks like a modified GTM could run in the DP class. (Rules) The GT class has Corvette's and Camaro's running the same engine you can put into the GTM, but they have a rule that reads: "Have been for sale to the public in a regular dealer offering in North America".

Right now, they already have a rear engine Corvette powered car. When it was introduced last year it made me think that the GTM seems like it could fit right in. Feedback, thoughts, ideas, and who wants to pay for it?

Corvette-DP-Grand-Am-Daytona.jpg testing.JPG
    s1_12062.jpg bob-bailin-factory-five-gtm-gen2-sema-2012-side.jpg

At Laguna Seca: DP Qualify time 1:22, GTM Prototype Group 1:33.
    Last edited by 3D FFR; 01-27-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen the 26 car and I think I was told it was an auto-x car. The 4 car needs about 200k to make it competitive to a DP. Recently, I was told the #4 is about 500 lbs heavier than a DP. I talked to a guy that drove a DP about 200+ at Daytona last year and I doubt that the GTM could do 200 there. I don't think the down force is enough on the GTM.

When you get to smaller more technical tracks the 4 car might have a chance in the top ten. Taking what I have read about their latest race adventure and the 1:33 at Laguna, the car with Elliott in it and a few areo changes and working tire program, the #4 would do a respectable 1:26. I think the 1:33 was done on DOT tires, their old ASA 381 HP/358ft lb tq, g-50 gearbox, stock c-5 brakes, front sway bar only. Currently, I think it has HOOSIER slicks, sequencial gearbox, 500 hp, 452 ft lb tq. stoptech brakes/raybestos pads, front and rear sway bars.

My answer is probably not.

Post Thanks / Like
    We would actually be limiting ourselves and costing us a bunch of $$ to try and run it as a DP.

There are VERY specific rules that the GTM would not fit. For instance there is the 80 inch wide by 110 wheelbase rule. There is the "approved engine" rule. There is the "approved constructor" rule. There is the required front and rear overhang rule. there is the "approved transaxle manufacturer" rule. There is the "approved tire" rule.

Getting the picture?

One of the othe rclasses, maybe, but DP? NOPE!

You may think I'm full of poo on the limiting comment, but there are cars, both FFR based and other manufacturers, being built RIGHT NOW that are going to put the DP cars to shame. The DP cars are "budget" racers in that almost EVERY aspect of them is regulated. The fact that the Vette DP even looks the way it does on the outside has sent the other teams into fits as it is a far cry from the letter of the rules as enforced previously. Then there is the other stuff that is not so visible. The Corvette DP cars are almost revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary when looked at from the rules standpoint. I would liken it to someone showing up at a NASCAR Cup race with a newly designed NON COT car and being allowed to compete. There were SIGNIFICANT accomodations made to GM on that thing.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts