BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Crankcase pressure/venting

Post Thanks / Like

Crankcase pressure/venting

Anyone come up with a solution to better vent the engine yet for the crankcase pressure, as I was having issues with oil coming up the dip stick last year and a temp measure I secured the dip stick, but I want to make sure I properly vent the crankcase. Right now I only have the 1 valve cover vent (supplied TF vent/oil fill tube) going to a catch can.

John, seems last year you had changed your venting system, did that help and if so what did you use?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Dougherty did this mod on my car. I believe its AN12 lines going from welded bung on valve covers to a catch can.

***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    John, did you block off (get rid of) the PCV (block and manifold) and only use the valve cover venting, as it's my understanding that PCV does nothing at WOT which we run at most of the time on the track
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 02-04-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, I think the PCV is in there, but not connected to anything. It might be plumbed to a bottle to catch any overflow, but think its dry as a bone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished my venting, sure hope it helps, I went with:

1. Plug up the intake (upper manifold), and keep the PCV valve but also plug that
    2. -12AN line from each valve cover
    3. Canton catch can with breather

WP_20130413_006.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    lookin good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony
    I am sure you are going to like it.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    So, practice, no issues, looking good, qualifying the back of the car was covered in oil and the frame rails were dripping, same for the 2 races on Saturday. Between races I took out the dip stick andf put back on the hose to plug up the dip stick, same results. So looked like a valve cover gasket leaking since I eliminated the dip stick. Sunday AM I get ready to pull valve cover and after I get the throttle body off I see that the PCV grommet, screen and valve are gone. So practice was at 9 and NAPA did not open until 9 so missed practice and called NAPA and they said they have the valve and grommet, so friend went to pick it up and they did not have grommet, but friend made them find one that would work, got one and installed it and no issues, ran the qualifying and 2 races w/o any oil coming up the dip stick or out the PCV valve. o now just a big oil mess to clean up as the under car is covered with oil,
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Let us know if that fixes your issue. I now have a very similar setup as JG and it seems to work ok.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
    Let us know if that fixes your issue. I now have a very similar setup as JG and it seems to work ok.
    Ran all day Sunday w/o issue, running normal dip stick now and no longer pushes oil up the stick, so works great now. I run a plugged up PCV, that is no manifold vacuum line to PCV and the PCV is there but plugged up and the valve cover breathers into catch can works.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    We had to do the same thing.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently finished my challenge car and did some shake-down runs. I completed some skid pad work with continuous right hand turns was no issue, but continuous left hand turns resulted in oil coming out my breather and coating the headers and frame rails in oil.
    What type of catch can did you use above? Oil going to the catch can, does it just collect there and needs to be drained manually or does this feedback somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    So I used a Moroso plastic ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85400 ) dual input (I added another input) catch can from Summit, ran -12AN line to it, has a breather on it and I just emptied it when I switched engines and was about a 1/4 quart in it for a full season. So manual drain. I no longer have a mess to clean up after each race. I also plugged the PCV (kept the PCV in just put a nipple on end of it and also a drain hose).
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    So I used a Moroso plastic ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85400 ) dual input (I added another input) catch can from Summit, ran -12AN line to it, has a breather on it and I just emptied it when I switched engines and was about a 1/4 quart in it for a full season. So manual drain. I no longer have a mess to clean up after each race. I also plugged the PCV (kept the PCV in just put a nipple on end of it and also a drain hose).