FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheels and tires MAKE a hotrod!

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and tires MAKE a hotrod!

The attitude is in the wheels, tires and rake. And a hotrod needs attitude. I am getting ready to buy rubber and wondering how tall anyone has gone without fenders. Oh yeah, real hot rods don't have fenders. I'd like to see some photos of different tire/wheel sizes and especially if yours has something besides 305/35/18/ and 235/40/17 . I wish there was a whitewall tire available for 18 rears and 17 fronts? It would go just perfect with the 1956 Lincoln Continental Wisteria paint I am working on.

Any photos out there?

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason you don't see a lot of big rear tires is there isn't enough clearence. Since the driveshaft runs through the frame, it limits how high the rear of the car can go before the driveshaft hits. I have 29" tall rear tires and it took a lot of modifications to make it work. (I normally have the rear suspension adjusted higher than this so the tires don't hit the fenderwells)

Post Thanks / Like

trans length

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    The reason you don't see a lot of big rear tires is there isn't enough clearence. Since the driveshaft runs through the frame, it limits how high the rear of the car can go before the driveshaft hits.
    The length of the transmission plays a big part in this too. I am using a 46RH dodge auto which has the rear OD on it. The housing ends up flush with the tunnel loop and the U-joint is a few inches behind that. Moving the front U-joint back with a longer tranny gives a lot more suspension travel for the rearend before the driveshaft hits anything. It also gave me enough room to lower the battery shelf to hold a full size 27 series battery. I don't have an answer yet for the limit on tire size due to fenders though.
    DB
    Hemi 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it. Thanks for that clear answer. So what would be your guess as to a tire height that would not rub. A loaded shock has about how many inches of difference from high to low, stiff to soft? Do the handling characteristics change from a taller tire? I am basically an old school guy built cool rods and this is my first "modern" rod (OMG A/C !) , seems it needs a tall tire and raked.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of modifications did you need to do for the bigger tire /wheel size? Which rear axle width are you using? Does the wider 5 lug rear give more room for tire height?

Post Thanks / Like
    In some countries fenders are mandatory....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
    In some countries fenders are mandatory....
    Which explains why so many people want to live in the USA!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing and interesting information about the tires i see with the help of pics that front wheel adjustment is very different to the others..Can yo describe me the front tires of this car.If you send me the link of the drive of this car i shall be very thankful to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the tire questions also include the "look" of the tread for fenderless cars (meaning real hot rod). How much traction can I get? I want this car to stick like my go kart! 18 x 10 and 17 x 9 front

Sumitomo HTRZ II tires are a common choice. Noisy? Do you have these tires? Let me know. If they are noisy, how much road noise can I overcome with sound deadener? Or where can I buy real good earplugs for my ipod?? My 302 Ford is rebuilt and about ready to go in next, tires cannot wait much longer.

Tire ideas??