Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vman's '33 Hot Rod Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    esff32 Here are a few pictures of the exhaust you were talking about. I think this is in the area you were talking about. There are 3 sizes of exhaust (2.25"/2.5"/3") examples.

Probably could do the same kind of exhaust where the orig exhaust exits, just with an outer flange, which would help make it look bigger.

2.25" exhaust

Coupe HTE 2.25.JPG

2.5" exhaust

Coupe HTE 2.50.JPG

3" exhaust

Coupe HTE 3.00.JPG

David

Post Thanks / Like
    That actually looks better than the concept sounded. My only misgivings are concerned with internal packaging, possible trunk incursion and proximity to the gas tank and filler. If it is feasible I can see a lot of exhaust wrap and heat shielding being necessary in order to negate heat transference issues. I could sure see an inverted pair of these set into a rear rolled pan though.

Martin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    That actually looks better than the concept sounded. My only misgivings are concerned with internal packaging, possible trunk incursion and proximity to the gas tank and filler. If it is feasible I can see a lot of exhaust wrap and heat shielding being necessary in order to negate heat transference issues. I could sure see an inverted pair of these set into a rear rolled pan though.

Martin.
    The gas tank and filler area concern me the most.

A inverted pair on the roll pan would look good!

I still think there is a way to do an exhaust with the flange (like one shown) in a 3" DIA where the orig is, by using the tubing that fits now, I think it's around 2"/2.25" and go into a cone shaped exit, which would have the appearance of a 3". If that makes any sense.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    The gas tank and filler area concern me the most.
    A inverted pair on the roll pan would look good!
    I still think there is a way to do an exhaust with the flange (like one shown) in a 3" DIA where the orig is, by using the tubing that fits now, I think it's around 2"/2.25" and go into a cone shaped exit, which would have the appearance of a 3". If that makes any sense.
    David
    I don't care for the look at all, but it's just a taste thing.
    Up there it just looks like someone stole the gas cap off of it. That's the thing about hot rods though, hopefully no two are just alike and something different speaks to each of us. On your cone idea. That becomes a megaphone and these cars are plenty loud already. It will also change the tone a bit and I think give more base but I'm going from what bigger tips usually do to sound. I wonder though if that location would help reduce cockpit noise and incursion a bit.
    Still digging all the chainsaw art though so keep hacking away.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great thread. I really like the ideas flowing around here. I am currently building my own version of the 33 using some of the factory five design but changing it where
    I see fit. I found the photo below on the internet and Im thinking of making my car similar to its design in the front. I also like the slightly rounded body. And the audi looking grill.

hot_rod_project_by_lietuvis2008-d67k33b.jpg

my build thread.

build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    jydog, Welcome!

I came across that picture once doing a search on google. Interesting, the beltline, grille and front airdam I could see being done on the 33. There is a 33 that was done with a front airdam pretty close to that. If I remember right it was at SEMA. There are a few pictures of it, I am just not sure where. There might be some in this forum or the other one.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    jydog,

I found that 33. It's on FFR's website in a couple of places. The 33 was done by Peter Skoglund and his sons of Sweden.

without the front airdam in FFR's photo albums.
    https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...ds-33-hot-rod/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for doing that David. I like the look of the 3" but after looking at the area a little closer, I'm not sure of the feasibility of it. It would definitely keep the sound past the cockpit which would address the noise and the exhaust fumes issues of the side exit.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Thank you for doing that David. I like the look of the 3" but after looking at the area a little closer, I'm not sure of the feasibility of it. It would definitely keep the sound past the cockpit which would address the noise and the exhaust fumes issues of the side exit.

Evan
    Your Welcome

The 3" always looks good! I am not sure about feasibility of it either. Like MT-ED said in post #122. There as got to be a way to keep out the fumes, sound wise not sure what can be done about that, on the orig place of the exhaust.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's kinda what I had in mind to exit my roll pan. I actually have a side exhaust that I'm using an electric cut out on, so that I can run the exhaust out the side when I want to make some noise and out the rear on a long cruise.
    My Cobra side exhaust is a little obnoxious by the end of a day of cruising. Using something like this, my rear exit won't be so noticeable. Will need to insulate and wrap in the roll pan area to keep the heat out of the trunk. I have some louvered panels that I may need to use to help with the heat issue in the roll pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,

MT-ED mentioned that above. I think those exhaust w/flange would look sweet on a roll pan. Where are you having the side exhaust exiting out? at the orig location? or more at the front?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thought about going through the grill for the rear exhaust but the inside of the grill is in the trunk area. Out the roll pan will work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Door opens around the side pipe. Back up and additional signal/brake lights are behind the rear grill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,

Ok now I remember your side exhaust. Hard to keep up with who is doing what....lol
    Yeah through the roll pan will work. I think it would look a lot better as well.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Could work Tim...........these are a bit undersized I think, but it gives the idea.

Martin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks !!!If i elect to run it out the roll pan, I want to try and hide it as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I would just give a quick update.

Took a break for awhile, actually longer then I was planning on........lol

As some may be aware of I announced my design idea on the Roadster forum about the Ferrari inspired design. That one has been on my mind since 2006. But it still won't take priority over design work. The only design that may take priority over any of the design would be the 818 hardtop, depending on Dave Smith and FFR.

So I'll being working on the 33 stuff again, and kind of working on the Roadster stuff at the same time.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 07-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman7 David

looking over your renderings and diggen the woody. Been looking at building a 33 HR and with my wife liken Woody's it would be a much easier sell, but that's another story.
    Had a thought (and yes they hurt) about the 33 HR, going backwards and taking out the trunk lid and putting in a rumble seat. That way you could take the wife and the kids on a drive, just sayn
    all have a great day and a safe 4th of July
    thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkcalm5 View Post
    Vman7 David

looking over your renderings and diggen the woody. Been looking at building a 33 HR and with my wife liken Woody's it would be a much easier sell, but that's another story.
    Had a thought (and yes they hurt) about the 33 HR, going backwards and taking out the trunk lid and putting in a rumble seat. That way you could take the wife and the kids on a drive, just sayn
    all have a great day and a safe 4th of July
    thanks
    Kevin
    A Rumble seat would be really hard to do, since the chassis is mostly in the way. The Body sits much lower.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on a few things here and there. Lately helping out one of our forum members doing some layouts for engine panel side vents and a paint scheme. Since I started laying out his vents I just continued to work on some other side vents as well.

Here is just a screenshot in Photoshop of some of my guidelines, basic parts etc.

The blue lines are the firewall and chassis. The purple lines are spacers (many different sizes). The black lines are parts for creating the layouts for the vents. There will be some custom shaped vents as well.

Boy this is going to be a lot of pics..........lol

Vent Layout Prep.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    I have been working on a few things here and there. Lately helping out one of our forum members doing some layouts for engine panel side vents and a paint scheme. Since I started laying out his vents I just continued to work on some other side vents as well.
    Boy this is going to be a lot of pics..........lol
    I really like those vertical vents, BTW tell that jerk to send you a check for all your hard work.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm understanding what I'm seeing correctly, then my mind goes, "Range Rover".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I really like those vertical vents, BTW tell that jerk to send you a check for all your hard work.
    DB
    LOL.......

Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    If I'm understanding what I'm seeing correctly, then my mind goes, "Range Rover".
    No, those are just parts (black lines) I use to make vents for basic vent shapes, custom vents are layed out by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahah, I see (I think). I've seen the graphics and side vent rendering you did for that guy you need to bill Awesome work as usual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a bunch of Vent and Louvre photos I took at a cruise night last Fall

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=610

plus others I've captured here and other places just for some ideas...............

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom! I have one idea that is like yours, only 2.

There are a couple on nice designs in those pics.

Lots of louvers (multiple small punched type) in those pics, which I like, but I probably won't draw any up, would be a lot of work, besides most people know what the punched louvers look like anyways.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,

Here's what I was going to do if the one vent wasn't enough:

I'd also considered an additional one about 1/2 the height to be the furthest one forward.

Best regards, TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! The amazing see-through man trick That looks pretty nice Tom and I can imagine a half-height front one might look even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    Hi David,

Here's what I was going to do if the one vent wasn't enough:

I'd also considered an additional one about 1/2 the height to be the furthest one forward.

Best regards, TV
    Tom, funny how people think the same That is almost exactly the same as one of my ideas. Those look a little wider then what I have layed out. The ones I have layed out right now are 3.75" wide. Of couse they are being layed out for a full fendered car. I haven't done anything for bike fender/no fender 33s yet.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Going 'All the Way'..............

Cut and Paste, Cut and Paste!!!

Hi MT-ED,
    " I can imagine a half-height front one might look even better. "

Sorta look like Shark Gills, don't they?

I can't remember who suggested that these could also have been glassed in with the open edge being on the 'inside' and flush at the trailing edge. If I had it to do again, I'd certainly tape the cutouts in that way to see how it would look. That idea hadn't occurred to me at the time.

The big vent is 6" x 16" x 1" opening. That provides ~32 sq in of opening total with both panels. Double the vents and double the breathing.

I did it as a parallelogram to match the rear line of the side panel. It could have been a rectangle or ??? but I liked this shape with that existing line. You just have to remember to put it forward enough on the panel to make sure you clear the firewall for full vent effectiveness.

Best regards, Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 07-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    Cut and Paste, Cut and Paste!!!

Sorta look like Shark Gills, don't they?

I attempted to create this in reverse with the louver opening "in" instead of 'out.' but couldn't see how to do it easily.

Best regards, Tom
    lol @ cut and paste and shark gills

Glad you mentioned about going inward instead of outward. I know as you go more fwd that the chassis is not in the way, but is the chassis in the way aft wise for doing vents that go inward?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    David, The fire wall is vertical and is forward on the side panel just about to where the top of my vent starts. If the vent were back further and canted out like mine, it would probably still vent, but not as effectively, but it would fit. You'd see the side of the firewall through the vent, however.

If they were installed with the leading edge inside and trailing flush with the panel, then the rearward most vent would have to be as far forward as mine to fit without interference with the firewall. There's more than an inch of clearance between the side panel and the frame tubes on the inside to make it work reversed from mine.

Best regards, TV
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 07-23-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    Pretty much all of the designs I am coming up with are parallel to the aft panel angle, and are just in front of the firewall.

Good to know there is at least an 1" between the panel and frame on the aft area. Dale aka myjones, told me about the spacing as well. It limits me on some things not being able to see the real deal.

Some of the vents that I am designing are to be mechanical so you can open or close them. Dale aka myjones and I have been talking about how to make them work without being complicated.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom/Vman7
    I was at the Pismo Beach car show last two summers and took these picks that show some lover/vent treatments on the cars there.
    this one is the one I was thinking would look good when I get into a 33 build. they set into the cover.

some others with the cars they were in.

Had some more but had to delete them. new here and didn't know about the 7 pic limit
    enjoy
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one last cut and paste with a full, 3/4 and 1/2 size vent.........................

TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkcalm5 View Post
    Tom/Vman7
    I was at the Pismo Beach car show last two summers and took these picks that show some lover/vent treatments on the cars there.
    Kevin
    Thanks Kevin, That's a nice cross section of ideas. Appreciate you taking the time to post them.

TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kevin always good to have a lot of examples to see what people are doing.

I found a forum the other day that has a bunch of photos, I think it is a french site, which is strange, considering all the pictures are of American car. I'll have to post the link to it.

Tom, that is almost exactly like one of my layouts again. Only I have 4 vents in a stepped layout. I see you grew a few extra arms there.......lol

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to that forum with all the pictures.
    http://customrodder.forumactif.org/f6-hot-rod

Here is the '33-'34 thread
    http://customrodder.forumactif.org/t...4-ford-hot-rod

enjoy!
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    I was debating with this configuration for a while.

IMG00477-20140306-1743.jpg

I then selected to go with the more traditional ones that I fabricated.

IMG00556-20140724-1212.jpg

Spiro

Post Thanks / Like

I would call this one a "Double Eliminator"

I think the double looks better.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast