Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  99
Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,320 of 1908

Thread: Mechie3's 818S

Post Thanks / Like
    Hooray for internet on a computer with a keyboard! Something's been up with the internet at home. Maybe a storm took out phone lines (we're cheap...have the simple DSL), maybe the modem burned itself up again?

Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    yet again, nice work!
    I worry a little about how the cables are going to bend around/over/under the bell-housing/motor. It took me three iterations, on my shift linkage, to minimize cable bend.
    Here's a quick shot from this am. I had already pulled the cable through to work on the tunnel so the end isn't in the right position, but the overall placement is there. Minimum bend radius for the cable is 4". My problem is going to be securing the cable so it doesn't bang on things. I relocated my alternator to the side to mount my FPR on the manifold. I might move the FPR to the firewall, move the alternator back to the middle. That'll give me a lot more room.

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I don't like how my 7 foot cables have to bow up under my fuel lines beneath the intake but I didn't realize how short 6 footer would be!
    Yeah, they're pretty short. I'll need ~6" extensions in front and 10" extensions in the rear. 7 footers would have been nice but no one had them in stock. It's almost good though, because if this cable mounting location works it makes for a much smaller, more compact bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    And if you have been following Mechie's thread...... he sets a high bar on the fun factor of the build.
    This whole build has been a bit of a dream in the making. Everyday I'm thankful to the guy upstairs for access to CNC's and everything else. All those years watching OC choppers and overhaulin' on TV wishing I could do that, and now I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    VERY slick linkage setup Mechie!!! I think there is definitely a market for those parts.

My only question is: Is there enough room for the cables to clear the inner CV joint? That forward most bracket looks a bit low which may cause clearance issues, and may also force the cable to be bent up at a tight angle to clear the top of the engine block, but it could be just the camera angle.

I love the ball bearing in the bell crank... very professional.
    Thanks. The ball bearing was a freebie. We have a whole box of them sitting around from an old product that were saved just for the "what if" scenario. I think the camera angle makes it look closer than in will be. It'll bow up and around the starter. I made the cable mount modular so that if I have to change it I can just redo the flat plate and not the more time intensive angle brackets.

Once I get this finished I'll get it quoted. Only one of these parts can be laser cut, the others have to be milled. I'm not going back to the same shop that has now spent 5months getting me parts (of which he has 1/2 the payment as per our agreement of 1/2 at order, 1/2 at delivery )
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Took some better photos and made some parts.

Straight on view with cable relaxed:

View with the cable routed over the engine:

Made a sleeve to hang the arm on for now since I forgot my shoulder bolt at home. Lower extensio rod is 5.5" long. One end is RH threads, the other is LH so I can adjust the preload/spacing as needed.

There's a video of it on my facebook page.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Craig
    trying to figure a way to use your bracket instead of my ugly one.
    shift cable.jpg
    I have a subie cap if you would like me to measure it.
    I have an extra center diff cover if you need some practice.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You should build a complete frame, now!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, a subie cap?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    You design and make the coolest stuff!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Bob, a subie cap?
    Subaplug.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, right. I was thinking of just measuring the case I hacked up, though I'm not sure there's much reason to hack it up anymore now that my exhaust is on top.

Just one photo. Pretty sure my modem died. More on Facebook where its easier to quickly upload. Have an autocross tomorrow and I should be in bed. Going for 3 in a row FTD and top pax.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a daylight photo. There's enough clearance as is for the CV, but I want to move it up anyways. Top cable is good, bottom cable will move up 1/2" or so. Bell crank mounting point either needs to move rearward, bell crank get longer, or pull the lever arm towards the front and drill a new hole on the input shaft on the transmission. For now I'm thinking move the pivot point so that if I commercialize these people don't need to worry about drilling the shaft. Not having the lever arm with ears on it already saves a good 1"+ for clearance. The lever arm also needs to get slightly longer. That will fix both the fore/aft and the side/side angle of the rod ends. Overall, I'm pleased for my first shot at it.

Didn't do much on the car this weekend aside from making those parts friday night. Saturday AM was the county fair, the afternoon was a 1 year after wedding reception for a guy I autocross with. His garage is 4 bays wide and double deep. Much want! He's also a 5 time national Bmod champion (though he owns 3 Bmod cars, a few shifter karts, 7 bikes, lots of fun toys!). Sunday was an autocross. Went three for three and took FTD and the PAX win again, this time increasing my pax lead to .877 seconds. Raw time I was ahead by 2.648 seconds (my co driver had second). This course was at the speedrome so it's a bit different as there are concrete walls surrounding the course. As soon as people spin they get nervous their next run.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very slick, as always!

Do you think the cable extensions you added have any drawbacks vs just getting custom length cables (other than custom cables probably costing more)?
    Last edited by Hindsight; 06-22-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In theory the extensions are stiffer than the cable ends themselves. 1/2" aluminum vs 1/4" steel. If the angle of the cable housing vs the cable is minimal there is little effort lost due to the rotation of the assembly. Because both ends are effectively pinned connections and both the shaft and the bell crank are constrained the extension motion ends up being constrained as well.

One thing I do like about them is the mounting points end up being very convenient without having a large mounting block. I have 7' cables on order but lead times are unknown.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Great results at autocross! Any photos of the F-Mod car?

Also, we met someone with the Subaru Rally team (I think) at Wicked Big Meet that knew you. He said, "yeah I know this guy, Craig, he makes a bunch of parts for the 818s." I think he wants to see yours completed now! I wish I could remember his name.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig,
    What chassis is your F500. I've got 2 Red Devils (rotax 600 and 494 Rave) and one KBS (GSXR 600) here now. Not me driving at Roebling Road.

Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne, since you know F500, do you know a guy named Cory McLeod by chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha! I'm famous! Kinda...maybe.....but not really.

Wayne,
    it's a 1986 Red Devil F440 short wheel base converted to an F500 using the 493 motor (newer version of the 494). Formula X-1 secondary clutch, Polaris primary with the 911 billet cover. When I finish the 818 the back end will get chopped off and converted to a 4 link.

Here's my Fmod build thread (you'll have to register to see it):
    http://indianaimpreza.com/index.php?topic=12940.0

Here's my co-driver yesterday waiting for his fourth run. ~105/110hp, 775lbs with driver, max 0-60's of around 2.6s, make lateral G's up to 2.5+.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 06-22-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wayne, since you know F500, do you know a guy named Cory McLeod by chance?
    Yes, met him at the Road Atlanta Majors this year, drives a Red Devil with the Rotax 600

Haha! I'm famous! Kinda...maybe.....but not really.

Wayne,
    it's a 1986 Red Devil F440 short wheel base converted to an F500 using the 493 motor (newer version of the 494). Formula X-1 secondary clutch, Polaris primary with the 911 billet cover. When I finish the 818 the back end will get chopped off and converted to a 4 link.

Here's my Fmod build thread (you'll have to register to see it):
    http://indianaimpreza.com/index.php?topic=12940.0

Here's my co-driver yesterday waiting for his fourth run. ~105/110hp, 775lbs with driver, max 0-60's of around 2.6s, make lateral G's up to 2.5+.

Are those tire heat shields to keep the heat in or out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeps the heat in. It was a short course and there was a decent breeze. Tires never got hot, just a bit over warm.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Yes, met him at the Road Atlanta Majors this year, drives a Red Devil with the Rotax 600
    That's my wife's uncle. I was there that weekend at Road Atlanta.... surprised I didn't run into you.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was up with Cory Sun morning talking about the set up on his car and he decided not to run in the rain.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh yeah, I was only there Saturday and didn't come back Sunday since I knew it would rain. I had fun watching the Miatas run after Cory ran. I had never seen them race before. Next time you are at Road Atlanta, send me a PM. I'll come out and say hi.

Craig, you said "493" motor.... what kind of engine is that? I think Cory said a lot of guys are starting to run motorcycle engines in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    493 is a Rotax, I used to autox a 1987 Red Devil with the original Kawasaki 440
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 06-22-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan is correct. Both the 494 and the 493 are Rotax engines that are the "500" motor. The 493 is out of a 2002 Ski doo. 494 is a little older. I actually traded a GSXR600 motor to Fred Edwards for his 493. Fred is the main sponsor of the F600 series and sponsoring a USF2000 ride for the winner of the F600 series. There's a huge split between the 2 stroke and 4 stroke people. I can see both sides, but prefer F600 overall, though for autocross the 500's will be faster.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI Anyone looking for custom cables, I got mine from Custom Control Cables 985 872 5376 [email protected].
    They made the cables the exact length I needed with hardware I wanted, to my door in 3 days for $185. shipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch, are they of the same quality as the teleflex extreme cables? The original cables have space between the cable and the cable housing, that's what makes them sloppy through bends. The teleflex cables have virtually no space and operate much more accurately.

I think my 7 footers are about 3 inches too long
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,
    Good question, i don't know if the cable is the same quality as the teleflex cables. I have them installed on the car with a MR2 shifter which has 0 slop and really crisp. I did get the exact lengths I needed.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig, you said "493" motor.... what kind of engine is that? I think Cory said a lot of guys are starting to run motorcycle engines in them.
    The 494 has not been produced for nearly 8 years so the SCCA approved the 493 which has almost the exact same HP as the 494 Rave motor. The 493 is still being made so there is a ready supply of them. You are not allowed any modifications inside the motor. The 600 Rotax has to run inlet restrictors and weigh 50 lbs more. The advantage of the 600 is it makes 108 hp for a 350 rpm window which makes clutch tuning less critcal than the 493/494 which is about 125 RPM wide. The motorcycle engined F500 cars have to run a 31mm restrictor and weigh 75 lbs more than the 493/494 engined cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    FYI Anyone looking for custom cables, I got mine from Custom Control Cables 985 872 5376 [email protected].
    They made the cables the exact length I needed with hardware I wanted, to my door in 3 days for $185. shipped.
    That is who makes my cables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of last week was spent making a part for a friend who also happens to be my top competitor. He won the overall year end PAX in 2012 and 2013 (only guy in Indy region to do it twice in a row), I won it in 2014. I'm hoping to be the second to win it twice in a row. I have a small 11pt lead over him right now after 3 events. His sprocket hub got chewed up on launch a couple weeks ago. We have a double header this weekend so we'll see how the new part works. Almost 1/4 lighter than the old one with less rotating inertia too.

I finished the hub Friday and went into work Saturday to make two new parts for the shifter bell crank. I decided just to slide the lever arm back on the input shaft so I didn't need to remake the bell crank mount. I did remake the lever (longer) and the cable mounting plate (more clearance for CV). It's a good thing I did it Saturday because yesterday I saw some magic smoke come out of the CNC while anotehr guy was using it. Still seems to run ok, but a maintenance guy is coming to look at it today.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

It's beautiful....*cries on my inside*

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh please make your shift kit for sale Mechie! Its stunning :-)
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie, when you get done with your iterations and redesigns, you can count me in for a set of your shifter magic. However, I won't need the shifter rods since I'm planning on using electric actuators to do the shifting.

Lookin good!

Speedy G

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, beautiful work.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    SLICK! Guarantee you'd sell a good number of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    However, I won't need the shifter rods since I'm planning on using electric actuators to do the shifting.
    Paddle shifter?

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    I can have these quoted. Not sure how well they'll work with the standard FFR shifter/cables. Even a standard MR2 setup is going to need modification to mount the cables on the cabin side of things. I did start making an extra set of parts so someone can be a test fitter. Unfortunately, the high speed belt on the CNC burned up Monday so it's out of commission until next week.

I added in the spacers for the front shifter and even without bolting it down it feels much much better than the FFR setup. The side/side feels so nice and crisp vs the vague feeling the plastic setup had.

Here's the new cable clamping mounting plate. It raises the lower angled piece up about 1" or so.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Im willing to beta. Would like to giving it a try with the FFR setup and then try the mr2 setup to give a good comparison.
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 07-01-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several of us decided that the FFR setup felt like mush... go rear facing cables, go teleflex extreme cables and use whatever linkage is required, NO LOOPS is best but every little thing adds up to better crisper feel.

I had the billet FFR optional shifter, even if it was reversed the MR2 shifter feels better, and I tried several options.

Craig's package will feel downright AWESOME and as usual for his products will look awesome too!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    WAY off topic here, but never thought of a nice dead pedal to go over our triangle alu panel? Just a thought while you are designing a bunch of other parts.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I had. Not sure what to do for the rubber nubs though. I think someone might have made one?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Check Facebook for a video of my shifter mechanism.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast