Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thank God for a heated shop!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God for a heated shop!

15 below windchill factor, framing another monster house on the ocean equals siberian suicide!

But the good news is my frame is finished at the powdercoaters and in my HEATED shop. So tomorrow gonna start riviting the panels in and hang the suspension.

Best part is about ten minutes ago I realized that this idea that I came up with is gonna work! I've had quite a few naysayers shaking their heads about this idea that I have, and how I came up with to go about it, but just now laying it out on my bench and taking measurements I realize I'm 95% sure it's gonna work.
    Calipers are sent out to the powdercoater for new color and logos. full time reverse camera is ordered, harnesses are already made and sitting on the shelf. AIM dash should be here in a day or two. Tony at FFR......thank god...found me what might be the last GMPP harness in the world until another production run is made (8-10 weeks argh!), wheels being made, Engine's heads and cam being swapped over, subaru PS pump arrived, sway bar mounts installed, shocks being made (Thanks KONI), APR Wing being made also, Once JB finished roughing in white Boosted GTM, then he's starting on mine.

Busy at work (great thing) and I swear I get more done on week nights than weekends anyways.

Doubt I'll beat my 100 day record though

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I'm not where you are. It will be in the low 80's here today (S. Texas), has been in the mid 70's for the last few days. I was complaining when the highs were in the upper 40's/ low 50's 2 weeks ago.
    Agree with the week nights. Too many distractions on the weekends. Put in my axles last night, discovered I didn't have all the pumpkin cover bolts. I'll finish that tonight and try to put the engine/transmission in (roadster build). Good luck with your GTM. Great looking and performing cars. Hope to have mine running in 2-3 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    One Farenheit when I went to bed last night..I think it did get up to 17F today.
    Talked with my buddy in Montreal this afternoon and he said it was minus 30C..BRRRRR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    One Farenheit when I went to bed last night..I think it did get up to 17F today.
    Talked with my buddy in Montreal this afternoon and he said it was minus 30C..BRRRRR
    Yeah, but it's a dry cold!! ;-o)

WOW, even us Southerners are in on the party! Getting sleet right now, and it's cold. I know I have turned into a wimp, but man is it cold out!! Everybody stay safe in the mess that's coming!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Yeah, but it's a dry cold!! ;-o)

WOW, even us Southerners are in on the party! Getting sleet right now, and it's cold. I know I have turned into a wimp, but man is it cold out!! Everybody stay safe in the mess that's coming!

Regards,

Steve
    I saw this on the news. Heck, we have clothes for this and our houses are insulated a lot heavier than in the south..I have an overhanging front bay window thats a $2500 unit and just 4 years old but I have old heavy quilts piled on it to addd a little insulation. House has the normal insulation plus added 2" of hard foam foil backed insulation to the outside when we redid the siding 4 years back..Well worth the $2200 extra cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know Gary. It's been crazy. Its been sooooooo cold here to. Last night it went all the way down to 75*F. Just kidding, I've been seeing the news and that is some cold weather you guys are going thru. Stay safe.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    I know Gary. It's been crazy. Its been sooooooo cold here to. Last night it went all the way down to 75*F. Just kidding, I've been seeing the news and that is some cold weather you guys are going thru. Stay safe.
    75F...Somebody beat this man severely about the head and shoulders! LOLOL..I think it might have made it up to 20F today..It's warming up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow will be a balmy 27 degrees. Think I'll throw my thong in the truck just in case it gets above that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One day I'll insulate the garage walls, and doors. Right now I'm using a 300 Watt Halogen lamp that keeps the immediate area fairly warm. I've been checking out some infra-red heaters too.

If I could only heat up the tools before grabbing them!

Now that I'm back from OK., I'm ready to get back to work on the car...but days like these make me think otherwise.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brrrr!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    27degrees, you should consider yourself lucky. Its about 15 in my garage, WITH THE HEATHER ON. Well, at least i get to test the GTM for cold weather starts, it fairs rather well! It copes better with the cold than i do..

Post Thanks / Like
    just thought I would throw my cold out there....last week we went thru -38C (-36F) with a windchill of -44C. I'm located in northern Ontario. If you know where Ottawa is, I am about 5 hours west of there. One of the colder weeks we have had in a few years. I can't complain too much, my heated garage was nice and cosy. Sucked having to go out into the cold to work though.
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    thank god for a door and windows too:

Post Thanks / Like
    At least I've got a start on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    We got 29" of snow and it got down to maybe 17F..Didn't lose our power though and that amazed me..
    I figured if the power stayed on till late Friday night I was ok, if it was on for morning coffee on Saturday I'd be thrilled and
    it never went out! YEEEHAH!..OOPS, did I just see a light flicker?

Post Thanks / Like
    We only ended up with about 20" of snow over here on the west coast of NH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gary, any details on that front swaybar setup?

I can't run the QRP swaybar unfortunately, always on the lookout for some other option. Thanks!

Aman

Post Thanks / Like
    Aman,

A front sway bar setup just like that shown uses the OEM or aftermarket front sway bar from the C5, two brackets made by mikespms (other forum), and two new sway-bar bushings from Summit. I just installed in my car. Not certain if Gary is using mikespms brackets or not, but it certainly looks like them. Hope that helps.

-Michael

GTM #327 - LS3, Kooks, A/C, QRP shock mount and coil-over package, Mikespms seat belt brackets and front/rear sway bar mounts, Aluminum tanks, Thomas142 Carbon fiber side window scoops and full side scoops and rear wing and center roof console and front radiator exhaust vents, a bunch of Shane's stuff, and some of Crash's. Almost ready for prime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Michael,

I actually just read through your install pics of the Genesis shocks and swaybars, thanks for the photos. Also found the post on the other forum from Mike, showing the swaybar mounting.

Are you happy with the overall strength and fit of the front/rear bars, specifically the brackets? I'm seriously considering this option, would greatly value your opinion. Do you have any pics of the front brackets installed? Thanks man!

Aman

Post Thanks / Like
    Aman,
    I've included a few more pics of just the front brackets installed, and the brackets with the sway bar bushings/mounts.

As tothe strength of the brackets, I know that Mikespms welded his in place, but drilled mounting holes for those of us without welding skills. They way I look at in, the bracket itself is quite a bit thicker than the sway bar bushing mounts (maybe 1/8 steel), so no concern about them bending. The rear bracket attachment is rock solid - no worries at all for me. The front uses four 1/4" bolts into rivnuts in the chassis, three along one side and one at right angles to those. Again, the bracket serves to increase the spring rate of the car - it does not have to support the full weight ever. It certainly doesn't move when I jump up and down on the front end, so I suspect its fine, too. Worst case is I find it does move (unlikely) and then I weld the brackets into place. But I'm really not concerned. Just my opinion. Again, the sway bar bushing mounts are only 1/8" stell at most.

Here are the pics.

-Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvette1989 View Post
    We only ended up with about 20" of snow over here on the west coast of NH.
    I feel bad about diluting this thread with sway bar stuff, so ..... all I got was rain here in Maryland. Rain during the day at 35 degrees, then drop to low 20's at night. Thankfully I have a heated shop too.

And Gary, the white powdercoated frame really looks high class!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics Michael, that helps a lot.

I looks like Gary is using a thicker gauge of steel plate with a 90deg bend, overall it sits a bit lower, appears to be welded on, and maybe that swaybar is thinner and of a different geometry (miata?).

I was actually planning on abandoning the idea of sway bars until this discussion, but I like the way you guys have implemented them.

Thanks again for the quick replies/pics/help, really appreciate it!

Aman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    I feel bad about diluting this thread with sway bar stuff, so ..... all I got was rain here in Maryland. Rain during the day at 35 degrees, then drop to low 20's at night. Thankfully I have a heated shop too.

And Gary, the white powdercoated frame really looks high class!

-Michael
    I think I got you all beat. My 10 year old, 4000 sq ft home..... power goes out, $12,000 whole house generator kicks in, runs an hour and shuts down, never to restart. Water has been shut off as at least... two frozen pipes over the past three days (erie sound when they are streching). The worst thing is the when it started to rain today on top of the 21" of snow on the roof deck, I woke up to a loud bang, I come down stairs to find the load bearing wall in my livingroom/dinnng room had given way (buckled) and the staircase was now leaning over in inch to the left toward the foyer.....Could be worse, I might go 4 days without a shower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kalstar-

I am SO SORRY to hear about your troubles!! After ten years in a home, you sure don't expect a catastrophic failure like that! Even with all the snow and ice/rain you had, it shouldn't fail like that. I am truly sorry. Between the mechanical failure, the pipes, and frigid house, it sounds like your "fun card" has been revoked for a while!! I wish you the best as you recover from the storm!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Kalstar-

I am SO SORRY to hear about your troubles!! After ten years in a home, you sure don't expect a catastrophic failure like that! Even with all the snow and ice/rain you had, it shouldn't fail like that. I am truly sorry. Between the mechanical failure, the pipes, and frigid house, it sounds like your "fun card" has been revoked for a while!! I wish you the best as you recover from the storm!

Regards,

Steve
    Screw that, I'm heading to Puerto Rico tomorrow night the problem will still be here when I get back.

I too am surprised. I am guessing the point load that goes from the roof deck to the barring wall below must have shifted from the snow load. A buddy of mine is a mathematician and he calculated that approximately 23792 lbs from house an snow load was on that point. If the house was built to the plans specs it is about 3500lbs more than rated.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 02-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Screw that, I'm heading to Puerto Rico tomorrow night the problem will still be here when I get back.

I too am surprised. I am guessing the point load that goes from the roof deck to the barring wall below must have shifted from the snow load. A buddy of mine is a mathematician and he calculated that approximately 23792 lbs from house an snow load was on that point. If the house was built to the plans specs it is about 3500lbs more than rated.
    Damn Gypsie framers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, man, I'm sorry to hear about your home!
    If there was anything I could do, you know I'd be there in a second. Even though we're on opposite coasts, you and your family are welcome to stay here until the work is done. The commute is a bit of a bear, but you could call it a Canadian vacation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Taz.