Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash face question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dash face question

What is the curvature of the dash? I have found some neat gauge clusters made from billet aluminum and am wondering if the dash in flat more or less, or there is a significant curve to the face?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its fairly flat. At least as far as mounting a billett gauge cluster. I made an aluminum gauge surround for a customer and it worked fine.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great to know, and thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you end up using a billet cluster? i am looking at one like this.....

gages_zps2be24560.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The curvature of the dash doesn't become too much of an issue until you get to the extreme edges. If you look toward the end of my build thread where I mounted my push button start panel, the upper left edge was affected ever so slightly by the radius in the dash. So if you plan on installing in the center, you should be completely fine.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I saw that one and was my original choice too, but decided on this one ($79 on eBay)

$_57.JPG
    Last edited by maczter; 01-28-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks sweet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like it!! i am looking for a billet gauge panel as well. I haven't see anything like yours. I am also looking a gauge options. I kinda like the vintage ones from autometer. I am opting out of the supplied gauges from FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the same seller as I bought from, but this one has a V8 logo on it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-6-...3D121244828953
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a billit gauge pannel that is about 1/4" thick around the perimiter. I had to put a curve in it to match the dash as I did not want the 3/16" gap if I hadn't. I drilld and tapped it from the backside for 10-32 studs and it follows the curve perfectly. There is an old post about some who have added a bar to the backside to straighten the dash behind the bezzle.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The studs are a great idea...mind if I ask how long they are?
    FFR HR #530

Post Thanks / Like
    The ones I used were 3/4". I think that I may have some left, I will look tonight.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Doug...

After your suggestion I looked at them on McMaster-Carr. Did you use stainless? Since mine is about 1/4" thick too, was wondering how deep you drilled, and since that is not much of a depth, did you use any locktite on them. I was considering red to make sure they don't come loose.

Jack
    FFR HR #530

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    I like it!! i am looking for a billet gauge panel as well. I haven't see anything like yours. I am also looking a gauge options. I kinda like the vintage ones from autometer. I am opting out of the supplied gauges from FFR.
    I am opting out of theirs as well, and using the Autometer Ultra Lite's with blue LEDs. Yes, I know they are not truly "back lit" gauges, but I like the race car look of them. I was originally going with 5" tach and speedo, until I saw that console. Not a race car console per se, but I am going to paint the gauge bezels satin black. I am really happy with the quality and finish on it, considering it was an eBay find.
    FFR HR #530

Post Thanks / Like
    I did use stainless ones. The number of threads in the aluminum was a concern for me, so I flattened the drill point and then triple checked my depth stop. I then used a bottom tap to get maximum threads. Red Loctite was used when installing the studs. Probably overkill for the application, but I already had the Loctite in the shop.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like this guage panel a lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Ford-Car-...ht_1238wt_1312

It is a replica of a 34 ford panel. I would like to find a 6 gauge version but I am looking a speedo/tach combo guages to fit in the 5 gauge panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    11-13-13 Dash Panel.JPG

I used the exact billet panel in the first post by Boese engineering. It is indeed flat, but can be given a slight curve by simply working it over a piece of 4" pvc pipe for ten minutes or so. Mine matches the curve of the dash panel PERFECTLY.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."