FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Got my donor, my experience

Post Thanks / Like

Got my donor, my experience

I decide to go with Copart on advice from some folks here. I brokered with J&L Auto Brokers in Huntsville, Alabama. It was a pleasent experience, and I highly recommend them. They helped me navigate the process to my benefit, and ended up bidding on the donor on my behalf because I was unable to.

The car I ended up with is a 2007 WRX with 80K miles and rollover damage. The four corners were intact, and the engine did run. It just needs a little buffing out! I got the car for $2,700.00. No not a typo. Fees brought it to $3,300. I am picking it up myself so I saved the delivery fees. I am excite to get going!
    16930_10200122397437236_1189936911_n.jpg61776_10200122395037176_626686095_n.jpg427255_10200122396637216_1831419799_n.jpg
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow thats a great deal.
    Mike

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    smokin! lucky lucky lucky!!! let the fun begin
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I was watching that one, too. I just couldn't justify the ~ $1,600 for shipping to AZ. Also, how did you verify the mileage? According to Copart, the mileage was unkown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    Yeah, I was watching that one, too. I just couldn't justify the ~ $1,600 for shipping to AZ. Also, how did you verify the mileage? According to Copart, the mileage was unkown.
    Great question, the wreck, damage and title change was listed on carfax. I was able to estimate the mileage from that.

Also the title was a destruction title, which in Florida means the VIN can never go back on the street in Florida at least. When I told them what I was doing, they understood and verified it was a good idea to bid on it. And I couldn't bid on it myself so B&L did. I gave them a max, and off they went! A couple of hours later it was mine. And I was shocked and surprised at the price. I really expected more like $3.5K.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great find. Enjoy the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good on ya' Bob! I've been really swamped with work and building another roadster but am going to have to get serious about starting the donor shopping process soon.

Been watching Erik's teardown and rehab closely; let us know how it goes for you!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great, I'm very happy with my 05 Copart roll over... I got it for 3500 delivered to Maine from Michigan

now the fun, pull apart, recondition, prepare for reassembly

When do you expect your kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I hope I can source my 06-07 donor for less than $5k delivered. My target budget is $20K. :-D

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great deal!!! Love a good deal! Hope your teardown is as enjoyable as the purchase process was. Good luck. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I hope I can source my 06-07 donor for less than $5k delivered. My target budget is $20K. :-D
    its doable just have to be patient! i was almost ready to give up on an 06-07 but then a guy an hour and a half from me totaled out his 06 by running over a curb so only the front end had damage it was still driveable too! bought the car off of him with a clean title for 3800! coulda still drove it daily with minimal work but i chose to tear it down right away point is just have to be patient and keep the search going and it will be worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Great find. Enjoy the process.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Good on ya' Bob! I've been really swamped with work and building another roadster but am going to have to get serious about starting the donor shopping process soon.

Been watching Erik's teardown and rehab closely; let us know how it goes for you!

Jeff
    I hear you buddy. Tire warming a 2000 C5 for SOLO this season to start..
    I will post teardown here, on the blog and Facebook..

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    looks great, I'm very happy with my 05 Copart roll over... I got it for 3500 delivered to Maine from Michigan

now the fun, pull apart, recondition, prepare for reassembly

When do you expect your kit?
    Thanks! And thanks for all the help and feedback, valuable info.. I should get the first 818R in June?

Patience! You can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Great deal!!! Love a good deal! Hope your teardown is as enjoyable as the purchase process was. Good luck. WEK.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by philly15 View Post
    its doable just have to be patient! I was almost ready to give up on an 06-07 but then a guy an hour and a half from me totaled out his 06 by running over a curb so only the front end had damage it was still driveable too! bought the car off of him with a clean title for 3800! coulda still drove it daily with minimal work but i chose to tear it down right away point is just have to be patient and keep the search going and it will be worth it!
    Could not agree more on the patience part. Have fun!
    Last edited by bstuke; 02-18-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I've sold about 1000 of unused parts and expect to unload another 500 or so from my donor... so a $15,000 to $20,000 build should be easy. After all my upgrades for brakes, lighter flywheel, header etc... I'm still on my way to a $15000 build... Just keep looking re the donor. I felt at 70,000 miles I could go without significant engine work and just replaced the oil and water pumps, timing belt etc... clean it up as Erik has documented, I did a bunch of powder coating vs painting. You will get a nice looking build

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am amazed at how much cleaner the ej looks after pulling AC/PS/TGV and alot of the other parts no longer required. I finished cleaning up my new throttle body last night. will post on my blog later.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow up, I just got home with my booty. Picking up the car was completely painless. I had a battery for my winch and was prepared to winch the car on the trailer when I arrived at 8AM in Orlando at the Copart lot. I walked in, handed the counter person my paperwork, and in 2 minutes had a release. I pulled into the pick up area, and a guy pulled up in a front end loader with long forks, took my paperwork and disappeared. When he came back, he hollered at me to come over. He said he could drop it, pick it up from the back, and put it nose first on my trailer, was that OK with me? I said HELL TO THE YES! Which was great because it had three flats and the battery was dead. I was in and out of there in TWENTY MINUTES!

As a follow up, if you are interested in how Copart works, simply go to the broker company I used, J&L Auto Brokers http://www.jlautobrokers.com and there will be frequently asked questions under the registration button.

This has been absolutely the most painless process ever.

Unfortunately now that I am home it is raining and can't even get it started and off the trailer!
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread