BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818R at UTCC2013 - incar video

Post Thanks / Like

818R at UTCC2013 - incar video

Hi all,

Incar video of fast lap of the weekend in 818R with no 3rd gear: http://vimeo.com/70672130

Thanks Dave Smith and Jim Schenck in entrusting me to drive the 818R at VIR in UTCC 2013. We had high hopes for this weekend signing up not only to participate in the UTCC but also in test/tune sessions to use those extra sessions to better the car. 818R with 340RWHP, Yokahama racing slicks, aero tested 2 days before at the wind-tunnel, WOW! a recipe for a great weekend.

Our first track session with the 818R at VIR was in test/tune session 1, I took it easy getting familiar with the FFR 818R finally on a proper road course which I know very well, and was easily putting around in the 2:11's. The guys made a bunch of changes with regards to ride height at the wind-tunnel test two days prior and the handling of the car was not to my liking at speed, very twitchy. Unfortunately the track scales opened after lunch so we could not scale it right away, they made some ride height adjustments as I was scraping the front splitter under braking, and sent me back out for UTCC warmup session.

I took it easy still running in the 2:11's, the changes made were in the right direction but still not optimal. Next lap took turn 1 as normal, shifted into 3rd, then 4th, back to 3rd for turn 3, gently back on the power, the boost building up and bang! lots of grinding metal noises, 3rd gear gone in an instant! quickly fiddled withe the shifter, got it in 4th, finished the lap and came in. Uhg! such a disappointment..

What to do now? no way fast times were going to be seen without 3rd gear at a track that only uses 3rd, 4th and 5th. Lets try to figure out why the car was not behaving at speed. We made some more changes, and sent me back out.

map of VIR:

Next session out was the first UTCC timed session, I was gridded at the front with a bunch of cars behind me. Having no 3rd makes driving in close proximity to other cars extremely difficult. I have to use momentum and the massive grip of the slicks to stay in the power band in 4th, but with other cars around me getting balked in the turns makes it impossible to get a decent lap. You need 3rd coming out of turn 1, going through turns 3-5, coming out of oak tree (turn 12) onto the back straight - very important turn to get a great launch as it leads to a massive straight, and out of the rollercoaster into hogpen (turns 14-16.) With all the traffic behind and infront I was unable to get a clean lap and only managed to run best of 2:18's, very disheartening.

The scales were open now, the guys scaled the car (think it came in just over 1900lb) and the cross weight was completely off.. They changed the ride height by 16 turns in total on the drivers side (raised the drivers front 8 turns, lowered the drivers rear 8 turns, that is a massive adjustment btw) re-scaled it, and was back to 50% cross. We decided to skip the rest of the test/tune sessions and only focus on running the UTCC timed sessions as we didnt know how much longer this transmission would last.

UTCC timed session #2 I started late to try to get some clean laps, there was a BMW in front of me and I practically stopped on track to get a good gap to him, then went for it. Use momentum, be smooth, maximize the grip of the tires, try to do 2nd to 4th shifts quickly to not loose the boost. Problem was the transmission has a hard time shifting fast now and I had to fight to get it in 2nd, you can see I almost went off in turn 1 fighting with the trans. It really bogged coming through turn 2, loosing probably 2-3 seconds there. Driving the VIR esses is something special when you have slicks and aero. In my FFR Challenge car I enter at 120mph, but come out of the esses at 100mph. With the 818 enter at 120mph but am able to maintain that speed throughout! Then turn 10, a really fast lefthander, you dab on the brakes, then turn.. (was 20mph faster there and 1.5+G's with the 818R vs my Challenge car) Got to love down-force! Amazing! I shifted down to 2nd for oak tree, on straight shift as fast as I could to 4th, still felt like in the boost.. good! tighten seat belts, play with flashing the front lights, shift into 5th and get ready to slam on the brakes for the rollercoaster turn 14. Downshift from 5th to 4th was a little painful but got it done, then concentrate and flow speed through turns 15-16. The car bobbled bad there, felt fuel starved, probably lost another 2-3 seconds, but it picked back up, focused getting out of hogpen and onto the front straight smooth and fast. Finally a semi-respectible time of 2:09.491! not bad for not having 3rd. Also, the high speed instability was fixed! scaling was SO off that it must have been tri-poding at speed on the straights! I was hoping to have a go at it again in session 3, but if you notice on the video.. the voltage is at 10V, alternator's not working, or the belt is gone!

UTCC timed session #3 saw me starting 3rd, but unfortunately didnt go anywhere because the battery was completely dead. No second chance to better my time, finally figuring out how to drive without 3rd gear..

So.. My thoughts on the car: unbelievable grip! the brakes are excellent, handling has neutral feel, stable, very predictable, and steering is light and very responsive. With more development I'm positive we can make it a lot faster, just have to work out the mechanical issues that always exist with a brand new racecar.

Just a note on laptimes, best time I have set at VIR was in FFR#85 Enduro Challenge car (aero, 380whp) was a 2:05.0, and my track record in FFR#48 FFR Challenge Spec (320hp) is a 2:06.7. Im positive 818R can easily do 2:04's!
    Last edited by johngeorge; 07-20-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff. Great work.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What a great job driving with no 3rd, I figure it will even break the 2:00 minute mark soon enough. The car is just getting its feet wet.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    THAT is why Factory Five suceeds! Great job John, Jim, Tony and Fankie! The play-by-play from John makes me feel like I was there. Watching the video shows the competence of the chassis design (nice drifting in a mid-engine car!) and shows Johns skills as a driver doing his "Dan Gurney" best to work the race car around presented limitations. What a mature and professional driver John is! John's narrative also tells the inside story of the development of the car as one window to one day out of many over these past two years.

I've heard people compare the 818 with other similar kit cars and I laugh out loud wondering WHERE they are on track days and where else do people work so hard to test, develop, refine, and stand behind the cars they build. The development of the chassis and parts on the track ensure the street cars are exceptional. Super proud of the team and anxious to turn the car around fast and nail that 2:04... makes me wonder how much more (sti block, etc) we can do to crack that magical 2 min mark... AWESOME.

Also spoke to Jim S. this morning and the magazine shoot/test drive of the 818S went super well! The editor loved the car and the 818S street car drag raced a brand new Viper for fun. The outcome was very cool! Stay Tuned.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 07-20-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typos
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    THAT is why Factory Five suceeds! Great job John, Jim, Tony and Fankie! The play-by-play from John makes me feel like I was there. Watching the video shows the competence of the chassis design (nice drifting in a mid-engine car!) and shows Johns skills as a driver doing his "Dan Gurney" best to work the race car around presented limitations. What a mature and professional driver John is! John's narrative also tells the inside story of the development of the car as one window to one day out of many over these past two years.

I've heard people compare the 818 with other similar kit cars and I laugh out loud wondering WHERE they are on track days and where else do people work so hard to test, develop, refine, and stand behind the cars they build. The development of the chassis and parts on the track ensure the street cars are exceptional. Super proud of the team and anxious to turn the car around fast and nail that 2:04... makes me wonder how much more (sti block, etc) we can do to crack that magical 2 min mark... AWESOME.

Also spoke to Jim S. this morning and the magazine shoot/test drive of the 818S went super well! The editor loved the car and the 818S street car drag raced a brand new Viper for fun. The outcome was very cool! Stay Tuned.
    A VIPER?! When will we get details on the magazine/article? I would think it needs at least 350bhp for that.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    A VIPER?! When will we get details on the magazine/article? I would think it needs at least 350bhp for that.....
    It certainly needs 3rd gear on this one.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    So excited, so bummed about 3rd gear. Do you think it was previously compromised in WRX? Now comes conversations of a can am look rear end with 6 speed hanging out or custom built 5 speeds. I personally was planning on putting a built gearbox anyways.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great video, George! Of course, great driving. I am wondering if the theoretical discussions about the stock trans will finally come to a head to the point that many will upgrade if they have more than stock power. To me, 340 RWHP with racing slicks sounds like a lot to ask of the stock trans. On the all wheel drive car, it might be that some of the stress on the trans is distributed better. It's kind of similar to the T5 / Tremac discussion where there is a bubble around 375 to 400+ BHP where usage and type of tires can make or break the trans. I'm sure the real world testing will soon show us how critical this is for the 818. Thanks, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Simply awesome! Great driving John!!! This thing would be simply screamin' with a windshield and a roof...and a full safety cage!
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    The speed through those climbing esses was incredible! No Oak tree is sad though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent Friday morning at VIR got to poke around both the S and R and do some spectating at various corners, the car looks great on track. Looks better in person than in photo's and looks dame good in photo's.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! With no 3rd gear. Great driving John and a great car Factory Five!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got scared at 38secs, nice driving.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put this in the wind tunnel thread without seeing this thread. Great work everyone.

What a great debut. Anything under 2:10 is flying around VIR. That 7 that got 2nd is well prepared. Way to go FFR! Sucks third got cooked otherwise sub 2:07 sounds very attainable.On a side note it must have been sad going around Oak Tree Turn. RIP Mighty Oak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always get scared watching John drive!!

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I got scared at 38secs, nice driving.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Do we know what turbo was used?

Post Thanks / Like
    John, what is your time in the challenge (updated) car as compared to the 818?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video and recap John

Laying down record times in a brand new race car is nearly impossible. Always lots of setup and teething issues to address.

The fact that you were comfortable enough to get the car moving around and put down good laps in spite of the gearbox problems again speaks volumes to the capability of the car. All with very little seat time.

When the 818 challenge series starts the real question is will you drive a roadster or an 818?

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know the mod list for the 818R that they ran ay UTCC? I know they mentioned a larger turbo but does anyone know what else was done? 340whp is a decent number, wondering if they actually hit it.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    John, what is your time in the challenge (updated) car as compared to the 818?
    2:06.798 in my spec FFR Challenge Car set this year in March.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome video.............this is one exciting car.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good first effort. I wonder what the downforce/ drag relationship is as I was hitting about 5mph higher on the straight coming out of oak tree in a car with less power and carrying ~1100lbs more weight. Could partially be the lack of 3rd gear but it really doesn't accelerate much once you hit around 130. Looks like a fun and tossable car, though. Can't wait to see more!