Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Electric 818 | AC & LiFePO4 configuration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric 818 | AC & LiFePO4 configuration

The Electric 818 Possibility thread has grown rapidly and branched out into a number of technical discussions. In the interests of narrowing down the electric conversion options, I'm starting this thread to (hopefully) only discuss the possibility of using LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) prismatic cells from CALB (China) and the AC family of motors from HPEVS (California).

My co-conspirators and I have worked with this EV configuration (AC & LiFePO4) since 2009, covering some 20+ vehicles including 7 high performance sports cars, so I'd like to try and apply what we've learned from the school of hard shocks to Project818. Perhaps other EV pathways - wheel motors, different lithium chemistry, hybrid designs, BMS systems, etc. - will be pursued in parallel threads.

The basic solution set compared to ICE for both street and race 818s is summarized in this table:

model comparison.png

MISSING INFO REQUEST
    One important missing piece of data is the weight that would be subtracted from the 818 if converted to electric drive. I hope someone tearing down a donor car, or a Subaru expert with access to accurate component data, can provide the gross weight (lbs) of the following:

1. fully dressed Subaru Impreza engine, both stock EJ251-EJ254 and WRX turbo EJ255, without transmission [UPDATED: 260 lbs according to Kennedy Engineering]
    2. radiator
    3. empty fuel tank
    4. starter battery and engine wiring harness (not part of fully dressed engine)
    5. exhaust system
    Last edited by KrissMotors; 03-24-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: updated info
    Developer of the authoritative Build Manual Mk4Build.com used by over 1,000 FFR Mk3/Mk4 customers since 2009.