Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lucas Toggle Switch for Hazard Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Lucas Toggle Switch for Hazard Lights

Decided to install a hazard/4 way switch on my dash but since I'm using all Lucas switches, would like to find a toggle switch but having some trouble. Basically I need a DPST - double pole, single throw, but can't find one listed anywhere. Most catalogs just list the switch for the function it does like wiper, headlight, etc.

Has anyone used a Lucas toggle for a hazard switch and if so, which part number did you use?

Many thanks,

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not aware there is a Lucas DPST switch. At least I haven't found one, and I've seen others say the same thing. Two choices that I know of: (1) You can use the SPST switch and diodes. Here's a diagram from the other forum: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ml#post1673120. Or (2) Use the SPST switch to drive a DPST relay. That's what I did on my Mk3 build. Works fine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward!

I guess I spent too much time looking for the switch instead of searching the forums for a solution.

Will pick up some diodes tomorrow.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Update - I had a spare wiper switch and was able to get it to work without any modifications. You do have to move the toggle up twice though to get all 4 flashers working. Still might get the diodes and use the simple ON-OFF switch. Thanks again.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm not aware there is a Lucas DPST switch. At least I haven't found one, and I've seen others say the same thing. Two choices that I know of: (1) You can use the SPST switch and diodes. Here's a diagram from the other forum: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ml#post1673120. Or (2) Use the SPST switch to drive a DPST relay. That's what I did on my Mk3 build. Works fine.
    hey Edwardb!!

this is Michael Pavon, do you have by any chance a dyagram how to connect the "SPST switch to drive a DPST relay"?? i got kindda lost with the SPST FFR provided for the hazard lights
    and to be honest always wondered what was that "little" black box (DPST relay) included in my kit for.. jejejeje, my first build, be patient :P
    have a great day, and as always, you are a source of inspiration for all of us!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCFFR View Post
    Decided to install a hazard/4 way switch on my dash but since I'm using all Lucas switches, would like to find a toggle switch but having some trouble. Basically I need a DPST - double pole, single throw, but can't find one listed anywhere. Most catalogs just list the switch for the function it does like wiper, headlight, etc.

Has anyone used a Lucas toggle for a hazard switch and if so, which part number did you use?

Many thanks,

Ron
    Just for fun, I found this for you......lucasswitch.jpg

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael pavon View Post
    hey Edwardb!! this is Michael Pavon, do you have by any chance a dyagram how to connect the "SPST switch to drive a DPST relay"?? i got kindda lost with the SPST FFR provided for the hazard lights and to be honest always wondered what was that "little" black box (DPST relay) included in my kit for.. jejejeje, my first build, be patient :P have a great day, and as always, you are a source of inspiration for all of us!
    Thanks for the positive comments Michael. Appreciated! Happy to help if I can. First, FFR provides a DPST switch (not a relay) for the hazards. It works fine if you wire it exactly like the RF schematic shows. The problem is if you're trying to do a Lucas style switch theme on the whole dash, it doesn't match. And Lucas doesn't have a DPST switch, at least that I've found. I looked back through my Mk3 documentation where I used a relay and SPST Lucas switch for the hazards. It's been a few years and I couldn't find too much. But I did find that I used a Radio Shack 275-218 relay with a 275-220 socket. Those were the days you could walk into the Radio Shack down the street and get these parts. Not so easy today. That relay is actually a DPDT because DPST is somewhat unusual (at least at that time at Radio Shack) and it's not an automotive style relay. But it still worked. I wired the SPST switch with +12V and ground on the coil, the hazard pink wire (+12 hazard supply) to the two common leads, and right and left flasher wires to the NO leads. The NC leads weren't used. Wired this way, it's functioning like a DPST relay. Like in this diagram I also found in my notes:

Having said all that (and hopefully answering your question) I wouldn't recommend wiring it this way. It's unnecessarily complicated. I used diodes on my second and third builds, and it's way easier. Just add two diodes and a SPST switch, like the diagram B previously shown in this link http://www.ffcars.com/forums/1673120-post16.html, and it works fine. Good luck!
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-24-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.