Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Ontario Canada Registration and Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario Canada Registration and Insurance

To be honest, I was worried about doing this and doing this right. This was my experience. Completed today!

As we Canadians know, we cannot import a complete Kit into Canada, but kits themselves are not illegal. There are some BS rules about Canadian Content and safety etc.... but we have to deal with them. Factory Five has this figured out for us.

The F5 Starter Pkg can be brought in. I'd recommend using AL Beix from Western Canada Cobras who makes the brokerage, shipping and Transport Canada paperwork seamless and takes responsibility for it if it gets held up at the border. Plus you pay in Canadian $$$ and its easier to prove you paid tax both taxes... which you need to do. There are a few extra costs with shipping and brokerage fees but its no problem.

Other wise you can buy it direct from F5 and go an pick it up and deal with Transport Canada and Canada Border Services yourself.... no big deal from what I'm told 95% of the time....but trust me... if you catch a "Rambo" CBSA agent you can have trouble. (My son in law works for CBSA)

The rest of the parts (Canadian Completer Pkg) can be bought through Whitby Motor Car.... and Jeff Collins is also great to deal with. You can get to him through Al Beix as well. Don't try and sneak anything into the country. Declare it all and pay the taxes. You need to prove that too.

Then you need a rear end, rear brakes, motor and trans. etc etc. If you go donor car you have to have the ownership in your name and proof that tax was paid on it. If you go new, again call Al Beix or source them in Canada if possible.... I know you can get them in the USA and them bring them in legally and so long as you delcare everything and pay tax... you should be good, but the more Canadian invoices you have the better. Remember you are dealing with the Ministry.

OK so now you have the parts you need to build a 33 Hot Rod. While they are in boxes your home insurance will cover any losses God forbid... however insurance companies tend to devalue this stuff so at one point you will need to insure the kit separately. In order to do this you need a VIN. and an Insurance Company willing to insure the kit during the build process. I only found one such company and broker. (contact info below)

TO GET A VIN

I'm told some people have tried to register these kits as 33's to avoid the Drive Clean act. NOT NECCESSARY. Effective January 1, 2002, kit cars (MODEL "KIT") are exempted from the Drive Clean program. The car can be register as the year of your application, Make is FFR and Model is KIT. Go to http://www.canadianrodder.com/featur...egistering.htm for details.

Basically you need to make a Commissioned (Notorized) sworn affidavit that you are the legal and rightful owner of the kit and all the parts or donor cars and that all taxes have all been paid and that they are all in the country legally etc. You also that you need to request the Ministry to assign a VIN for the kit to make it a car. I wrote my own statement and got it approved by the Ministry before I got it Commissioned. I have removed my data and attached a template affidavit below. Feel free to copy it.... I know it worked for me! My lawyer's legal assistant did it for me for free, but there are other places to get it done. They just need to witness you signing your affidavit... WRITE IT BUT DON'T SIGN IT IN ADVANCE.

Sworn Affidavit For Kit Car Registration ONTARIO.jpg

You also need the Certificate of Origin and Dash Plate (which Factory Five sends you about 6 weeks after you get your kit) and all of your supporting documents (invoices, duty slips, brokerage fees/shipping reciepts, donor ownerships etc.)

Then all you do is get a liciencing form (SR-LV-6) at the local ServiceOntario branch near you (where you get your plate sticker every year), fill it out, bring your ID and all your paperwork and wait in line! 10 minutes and $10 bucks later you'll have an ownership in your hands in an UNFIT - UNPLATED status with a 17 Digit VIN starting with ASD (assigned). Just like that... its a car.

Now Insurance! Do yourself a favour and just call Wendy Keith at Lant Insurance Brokers 1-800-461-4099 or email her at [email protected]

They will use Hagerty Classic Car insurance, give you full coverage for the amount you have invoices for. They don't do just fire and theft so you have to pay for full coverages, but its classic car insurance... it's cheap. Mine was for $50K coverage, $1,000,000 Plpd, collision and comp for only $400 bucks a year!! Keep in mind you need to have a clean record to use Lant/Hagerty!

Once the car is built you get a Motor Vehicle Fitness Inspection.... minimums are required (horn, tires, brakes etc) + high brake light and wipers in Ontario. Then get plates and you are BURNING GAS!!!

Hope this helps!
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

2. Thanks emergentist thanked for this post
    Likes emergentist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Yeah... they even let me pick the last 3 digits of the VIN... I used the FFR car number #495 for mine! Don't forget to ask so you can do the same!
    FFCars - lowntubd

4. Thanks emergentist thanked for this post
    Likes emergentist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nick - well done and thank you for the details.

I will be ready to register in approx 1 week - great timing for this

Thanks and happy summer!

Mk4 - Coyote / tko600
    Georgetown ON

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I could help
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nick! I'm getting close as well, this is very well done

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised the license bureau didn't use the ffr serial number as a vin. I registered my "cobra" four years ago and I have a twelve digit vin. Most important is that it says kit. ASD is usually assigned to home built vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 17 digit VIN has been the automotive standard since 1980. The home built status is mainly for trailers and such... Not cars. In Ontario the Kit designation frees you from the drive clean standard which is the issue in many states and provinces. I'm very glad to be in Ontario for sure
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebicman View Post
    I'm surprised the license bureau didn't use the ffr serial number as a vin. I registered my "cobra" four years ago and I have a twelve digit vin. Most important is that it says kit. ASD is usually assigned to home built vehicles.
    You've got my curiosity going now on yours... What does your ownership say for make, model, year etc?
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Its tagged as a 2008 Factory Five kit. I now of a few others in the area that are registered the same. Also for Hagerty they would not insure me due to year of build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bicman,

I'm not sure how yours was done, but what the heck, if you have plates and insurance, you are good to go!

A little background for those who are attempting to do theirs, as a Car Dealer I have a close contact at the ServiceOntario here in town. She literally PhotoCopied the requirements out of her manual. After I drafted my Affidavit she had it checked by her area supervisor before i wasted any time getting it notorized. These rules have been around for about a dozen years and the current writing matched what is posted above at http://www.canadianrodder.com/featur...egistering.htm

Read that closely and you'll see how some Kits were registered incorrectly in the past. Use the affidavit template (I can email you a word document if you like) and have as much info as you can in an organized way... it also might be helpful to call the ServiceOntario office in advance to make sure there is someone there who has done this type of thing before...and like i said.... the most time you'll will spend is in the line waiting at the ServiceOntario Office.
    Last edited by hdnik; 03-30-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebicman View Post
    Its tagged as a 2008 Factory Five kit. I now of a few others in the area that are registered the same. Also for Hagerty they would not insure me due to year of build.
    I know State Farm still does them, but they will only do it with existing clients, so you'd have to give them your other car or bike or home a few months in advance. As for Hagerty, i'm not sure when the last time you asked them was, but call Lant Insurance. They used to do the Silver Wheels program, but swithced to Hagerty about a 1-1/2 years ago. They were MORE than willing to insure the car. I just sent them copies of the bills and pics of the current build status. I will have to get an appraisal done when its complete to insure it for the full value at that time, but for now its covered at $50K.
    FFCars - lowntubd

FFR 8036 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great information, even though I am a ways from needing to register my FFR. Might help me though in trying to get an old 30 year old motor bike registered?! So far I am having to get a letter of authentication from the USA as it has a US serial number. I'll PM you for a word copy of your avffidavit. TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    I PM'd you back - email me at [email protected] or call me at 905-650-2036. I'd be glad to help.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdnik View Post
    To be honest, I was worried about doing this and doing this right. This was my experience. Completed today!

As we Canadians know, we cannot import a complete Kit into Canada, but kits themselves are not illegal. There are some BS rules about Canadian Content and safety etc.... but we have to deal with them. Factory Five has this figured out for us.

The F5 Starter Pkg can be brought in. I'd recommend using AL Beix from Western Canada Cobras who makes the brokerage, shipping and Transport Canada paperwork seamless and takes responsibility for it if it gets held up at the border. Plus you pay in Canadian $$$ and its easier to prove you paid tax both taxes... which you need to do. There are a few extra costs with shipping and brokerage fees but its no problem.

Other wise you can buy it direct from F5 and go an pick it up and deal with Transport Canada and Canada Border Services yourself.... no big deal from what I'm told 95% of the time....but trust me... if you catch a "Rambo" CBSA agent you can have trouble. (My son in law works for CBSA)

The rest of the parts (Canadian Completer Pkg) can be bought through Whitby Motor Car.... and Jeff Collins is also great to deal with. You can get to him through Al Beix as well. Don't try and sneak anything into the country. Declare it all and pay the taxes. You need to prove that too.

Then you need a rear end, rear brakes, motor and trans. etc etc. If you go donor car you have to have the ownership in your name and proof that tax was paid on it. If you go new, again call Al Beix or source them in Canada if possible.... I know you can get them in the USA and them bring them in legally and so long as you delcare everything and pay tax... you should be good, but the more Canadian invoices you have the better. Remember you are dealing with the Ministry.

OK so now you have the parts you need to build a 33 Hot Rod. While they are in boxes your home insurance will cover any losses God forbid... however insurance companies tend to devalue this stuff so at one point you will need to insure the kit separately. In order to do this you need a VIN. and an Insurance Company willing to insure the kit during the build process. I only found one such company and broker. (contact info below)

TO GET A VIN

I'm told some people have tried to register these kits as 33's to avoid the Drive Clean act. NOT NECCESSARY. Effective January 1, 2002, kit cars (MODEL "KIT") are exempted from the Drive Clean program. The car can be register as the year of your application, Make is FFR and Model is KIT. Go to http://www.canadianrodder.com/featur...egistering.htm for details.

Basically you need to make a Commissioned (Notorized) sworn affidavit that you are the legal and rightful owner of the kit and all the parts or donor cars and that all taxes have all been paid and that they are all in the country legally etc. You also that you need to request the Ministry to assign a VIN for the kit to make it a car. I wrote my own statement and got it approved by the Ministry before I got it Commissioned. I have removed my data and attached a template affidavit below. Feel free to copy it.... I know it worked for me! My lawyer's legal assistant did it for me for free, but there are other places to get it done. They just need to witness you signing your affidavit... WRITE IT BUT DON'T SIGN IT IN ADVANCE.

Sworn Affidavit For Kit Car Registration ONTARIO.jpg

You also need the Certificate of Origin and Dash Plate (which Factory Five sends you about 6 weeks after you get your kit) and all of your supporting documents (invoices, duty slips, brokerage fees/shipping reciepts, donor ownerships etc.)

Then all you do is get a liciencing form (SR-LV-6) at the local ServiceOntario branch near you (where you get your plate sticker every year), fill it out, bring your ID and all your paperwork and wait in line! 10 minutes and $10 bucks later you'll have an ownership in your hands in an UNFIT - UNPLATED status with a 17 Digit VIN starting with ASD (assigned). Just like that... its a car.

Now Insurance! Do yourself a favour and just call Wendy Keith at Lant Insurance Brokers 1-800-461-4099 or email her at [email protected]

They will use Hagerty Classic Car insurance, give you full coverage for the amount you have invoices for. They don't do just fire and theft so you have to pay for full coverages, but its classic car insurance... it's cheap. Mine was for $50K coverage, $1,000,000 Plpd, collision and comp for only $400 bucks a year!! Keep in mind you need to have a clean record to use Lant/Hagerty!

Once the car is built you get a Motor Vehicle Fitness Inspection.... minimums are required (horn, tires, brakes etc) + high brake light and wipers in Ontario. Then get plates and you are BURNING GAS!!!

Hope this helps!
    Hi Nick

Could you forward the word document for the affidavit template ([email protected])

Thanks in advance - much appreciated

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    How about the process for Alberta? I assume its similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's tough to say for sure but knowing your province, I'd bet as easy or easier.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Nick

I completed my registration today and received a VIN which I will inscribe onto the FFR plate.

The only other document required was a B3 customs form (from the broker) as I imported directly from FFR. I then needed to pay the PST to complete.

Next is safety, insurance and plates. Should be on the road next week if time and weather permits.

Paint will have to wait for now

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to talk to you today Jester (Matt). I'm glad the info worked for you.

To clarify for others... Jester imported his kit himself (as apposed to using Al Beix at Western Canada Cobras), so also needed the brokerage B3 forms when he went to register the car and get a VIN. Also because he only had to pay the 5% HST at Canada Customs he had to pay the Provincial portion of the HST (8%) at Service Ontario.

Matt... Let me know how you made out at Lant Insurance! Hope that goes as well for you as it did for me!!
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    hdnik I'm in St. Catharines. I have ordered my kit can we get together for a coffee so I can pick your brain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara Dave View Post
    hdnik I'm in St. Catharines. I have ordered my kit can we get together for a coffee so I can pick your brain?
    Absolutely. Any time you like. Call my Cell 905-650-2036

Name is Nick Sebastian
    FFCars - lowntubd