To be honest, I was worried about doing this and doing this right. This was my experience. Completed today!

As we Canadians know, we cannot import a complete Kit into Canada, but kits themselves are not illegal. There are some BS rules about Canadian Content and safety etc.... but we have to deal with them. Factory Five has this figured out for us.

The F5 Starter Pkg can be brought in. I'd recommend using AL Beix from Western Canada Cobras who makes the brokerage, shipping and Transport Canada paperwork seamless and takes responsibility for it if it gets held up at the border. Plus you pay in Canadian $$$ and its easier to prove you paid tax both taxes... which you need to do. There are a few extra costs with shipping and brokerage fees but its no problem.

Other wise you can buy it direct from F5 and go an pick it up and deal with Transport Canada and Canada Border Services yourself.... no big deal from what I'm told 95% of the time....but trust me... if you catch a "Rambo" CBSA agent you can have trouble. (My son in law works for CBSA)

The rest of the parts (Canadian Completer Pkg) can be bought through Whitby Motor Car.... and Jeff Collins is also great to deal with. You can get to him through Al Beix as well. Don't try and sneak anything into the country. Declare it all and pay the taxes. You need to prove that too.

Then you need a rear end, rear brakes, motor and trans. etc etc. If you go donor car you have to have the ownership in your name and proof that tax was paid on it. If you go new, again call Al Beix or source them in Canada if possible.... I know you can get them in the USA and them bring them in legally and so long as you delcare everything and pay tax... you should be good, but the more Canadian invoices you have the better. Remember you are dealing with the Ministry.

OK so now you have the parts you need to build a 33 Hot Rod. While they are in boxes your home insurance will cover any losses God forbid... however insurance companies tend to devalue this stuff so at one point you will need to insure the kit separately. In order to do this you need a VIN. and an Insurance Company willing to insure the kit during the build process. I only found one such company and broker. (contact info below)

TO GET A VIN

I'm told some people have tried to register these kits as 33's to avoid the Drive Clean act. NOT NECCESSARY. Effective January 1, 2002, kit cars (MODEL "KIT") are exempted from the Drive Clean program. The car can be register as the year of your application, Make is FFR and Model is KIT. Go to http://www.canadianrodder.com/featur...egistering.htm for details.

Basically you need to make a Commissioned (Notorized) sworn affidavit that you are the legal and rightful owner of the kit and all the parts or donor cars and that all taxes have all been paid and that they are all in the country legally etc. You also that you need to request the Ministry to assign a VIN for the kit to make it a car. I wrote my own statement and got it approved by the Ministry before I got it Commissioned. I have removed my data and attached a template affidavit below. Feel free to copy it.... I know it worked for me! My lawyer's legal assistant did it for me for free, but there are other places to get it done. They just need to witness you signing your affidavit... WRITE IT BUT DON'T SIGN IT IN ADVANCE.

Sworn Affidavit For Kit Car Registration ONTARIO.jpg

You also need the Certificate of Origin and Dash Plate (which Factory Five sends you about 6 weeks after you get your kit) and all of your supporting documents (invoices, duty slips, brokerage fees/shipping reciepts, donor ownerships etc.)

Then all you do is get a liciencing form (SR-LV-6) at the local ServiceOntario branch near you (where you get your plate sticker every year), fill it out, bring your ID and all your paperwork and wait in line! 10 minutes and $10 bucks later you'll have an ownership in your hands in an UNFIT - UNPLATED status with a 17 Digit VIN starting with ASD (assigned). Just like that... its a car.

Now Insurance! Do yourself a favour and just call Wendy Keith at Lant Insurance Brokers 1-800-461-4099 or email her at [email protected]

They will use Hagerty Classic Car insurance, give you full coverage for the amount you have invoices for. They don't do just fire and theft so you have to pay for full coverages, but its classic car insurance... it's cheap. Mine was for $50K coverage, $1,000,000 Plpd, collision and comp for only $400 bucks a year!! Keep in mind you need to have a clean record to use Lant/Hagerty!

Once the car is built you get a Motor Vehicle Fitness Inspection.... minimums are required (horn, tires, brakes etc) + high brake light and wipers in Ontario. Then get plates and you are BURNING GAS!!!

Hope this helps!