Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any Canadians plan to import an 818?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Any Canadians plan to import an 818?

I was just wondering if there are any other Canadians out there who are planning to import an 818 kit once they start rolling out of the factory? Have you done any research yet to see if the import process is going to be relatively easy, or highly problematic? I guess we can't do too much until the complete kit parts list is finalized, but I would appreciate thoughts from any other Canadians who have or will be importing kits from FFR.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on importing one in about 3 years....by the time they complete the pre-orders and the other mad rush of orders that will be going in around end of June. Importing is quite easy. I imported my GTM thru Al Biex (from BC). All I did was fill out some papers that he faxed me and sent him a cheque for the kit amount and shipping and import fees. He took care of the rest. Yes there will definitely be parts that will be omited from the 818 kit to import into Canada, but I am sure WHitby motors will help with the missing parts.
    Also I will be waiting a few years to order to see what bugs and issues come up with the new kit. Not sure there will be any issues.
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting for the coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RF RIDER View Post
    I plan on importing one in about 3 years....by the time they complete the pre-orders and the other mad rush of orders that will be going in around end of June. Importing is quite easy. I imported my GTM thru Al Biex (from BC). All I did was fill out some papers that he faxed me and sent him a cheque for the kit amount and shipping and import fees. He took care of the rest. Yes there will definitely be parts that will be omited from the 818 kit to import into Canada, but I am sure WHitby motors will help with the missing parts.
    Also I will be waiting a few years to order to see what bugs and issues come up with the new kit. Not sure there will be any issues.
    Great to hear. I've been in touch with Al already as an option, and just wondering if the added cost is going to be worth it or not.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    Great to hear. I've been in touch with Al already as an option, and just wondering if the added cost is going to be worth it or not.
    Al imported my HR also. Definitely worth the few dollars extra.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also waiting for the coupe. I will more than likely make the drive and pick it up myself at factory five - I have talked to serveral people that have done this and they say it no big deal at the border - as long as you follow the procedure. Besides, everyone says you need to go in person and take the factory tour!

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I am on the schedule to be the first Canadian-delivered 818. Looking forward to it!

I also imported the first MK3 Cobra kit to Canada, and the process was very simple and straight forward.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 06-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the kit is cleared with Transport Canada yet - when I talk with Jason at SEMA, they were working on it. I was also wondering if there will be any deleted parts for the Canadian kit, it seems like most of the parts Trans Canada doesn't allow over the boarder are from the donor anyway.

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    John- all I will say is don't worry, ok?

PM me your details and next time I'm in T.O. we can get together, have a brew and chat about importing these things. A lot of people get stressed over a lot of nothing.

To anyone else who is curious about this or any other FFR car, I would suggest that your best course of action is to seek out a local FFR owner and discuss the issue over a beer. It's easier to discuss in person than over a public forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Turboguy

Not stressed at all, just wondering. Jason at FFR said it would be much easier to import the 818 into Canada because it come with less parts than the other kit they have (that should keep Trans. Canada happy). Anyway I am not ready for the kit yet, still whipping the garage into shape and waiting for the coupe version.

You are right local FFR owner, they are a great help to anyone thinking of jumpping into one of there kits.

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    I believe I am on the schedule to be the first Canadian-delivered 818. Looking forward to it!

I also imported the first MK3 Cobra kit to Canada, and the process was very simple and straight forward.

Glad i'm not the only one, when is your production date?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post

I imported the first MK1 kit to Canada. At the time I didn't know importing a kitcar was a problem and neither did the people at the border. Told them it was a kitcar of a Cobra replica and we talked about cars for a while, then went on our way. Times have changed.

Rick
    Last edited by FFRWRX; 07-03-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have any leads on where to source a good WRX donor for the 818 in Canada? Where is everyone getting their parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    There seem to be quite a few on Kijiji.ca, but the prices are all over the place depending on the year and mileage. I'm not sure if its better to pay more to get a lower mileage car or go for the cheaper one and rebuild the stuff - still holding out for the coupe version so I haven't been looking that hard yet.

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Check Kijiji Canada. Just picked up a 2007 Impreza 2.5i for my potential build of 818, not WRX but noticed lots of partings out !