Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 818R test day video

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking that they ran the track in a different configuration. The times seem too fast~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thestigwins View Post
    I am thinking that they ran the track in a different configuration. The times seem too fast~
    It seems reasonable to me for the lightweight 818R (with a track tuned suspension on Hoosiers) to be a bit quicker than a Z06 or Ford GT with comparable power/weight ratios.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did we ever get an actual weight or hp for the 818r? If it is correct that's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thestigwins View Post
    Did we ever get an actual weight or hp for the 818r? If it is correct that's awesome.
    I haven't seen any weight figures in a while, but IIRC, around SEMA time, I think it was mentioned that the R was under the target of 1800lbs.

265hp (at the wheels?) has also been mentioned as the figure for the EJ255 donor motor with stock internals, open exhaust, and a tune.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Wayne. Btw, has the diameter of the steering wheel and rack ratio been optimized for the testing (for the R) or changed at all from stock? It looked like you were pretty comfortable with that setup.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Uh, the R&T test was at Gingerman, the time stated was at NCCAR clockwise.

Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I haven't seen any weight figures in a while, but IIRC, around SEMA time, I think it was mentioned that the R was under the target of 1800lbs.

265hp (at the wheels?) has also been mentioned as the figure for the EJ255 donor motor with stock internals, open exhaust, and a tune.
    Jim showed me the dyno sheet and it was 273 RWHP with 300 torque.

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Thanks, Wayne. Btw, has the diameter of the steering wheel and rack ratio been optimized for the testing (for the R) or changed at all from stock? It looked like you were pretty comfortable with that setup.
    Nope, stock rack. The steering wheel was a leather wrapped wheel, it didn't seem small like a 12" or big like the wood rimmed FFR roadster wheel so I'd say it was 13.5-14. Plenty of leverage, feel and quick enough.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if NASA's records are for CCW OR CW. Still sounds quick!

http://www.nasa-tt.com//Southeast_Track_Records

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    Not sure if NASA's records are for CCW OR CW. Still sounds quick!

http://www.nasa-tt.com//Southeast_Track_Records
    I know NASA ran CCW.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just texted the NCCAR track manager and he said the 818R was the second fastest car that has been timed running clockwise. A Radical ran a 1:10.xx, third fastest was a Noble at 1:32.xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I just texted the NCCAR track manager and he said the 818R was the second fastest car that has been timed running clockwise. A Radical ran a 1:10.xx, third fastest was a Noble at 1:32.xx

And this is the car some called "ugly"? Awesome numbers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    He didn't say which nnoble?

Faster than a c5 z06 is good enough for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Earlier Post "The best time on the 818R was a 1:29.44 running NCCAR clockwise."

Wow! Do you know what wing angle the 818R was running? With the planned full 11 degree rear diffuser Jim was talking about, and bigger splitter up front to balance out the rear aero downforce, it could get more rear wing, full race slicks like the Radical, plus 350 WHP build, there could be even more to come...WOW!!!!

BTW: Do you know which Radical and which Noble?

Thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 05-04-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I talked with the track manager this morning and he didn't know which Noble it was the the Radical was a SR9 twin turbo V6. He also said that running CCW was 3-5 seconds quicker than CW depending on the HP of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Thank you for checking.

To even rise to comparison with a pure Le Mans track car!!!

2006_Radical_SR9.jpg

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting some work done this beautiful Saturday morning at FFR. I am going to take my blue 363-powered coupe home this afternoon and enjoy a Smith family Sunday tomorrow before hitting it hard Monday morning. I read this post from Wayne and was smiling cause its nice to see him sharing his seat-of-the-pants experiences with you guys.

The car is very very fast and those design goals were nailed by the team and I can't sleep at night KNOWING what lies ahead for all of us as we start to build and drive these bad-a little mini can-am cars! Still, I wanted to point something out that I've been asked about frequently. "Why are we spending so much time on the performance, handling, chassis rigidity, on the car when so many guys intend on using the car on the street?"

Well, the answer is that the perf testing is more visible and fun, but there's evern more work being done on the other aspects of the car for sure... BUT back in the early days the cheesy kit car competitors would alway say that our cars "may be fast on the track, but they weren't capable street cars" That was only sales crap. The truth is that the core foundation of chassis/suspension/safety and NVH is so central to a good street design. Think of it this way. You can ALWAYS take a capable sports car design and soften up the shocks/springs, add sound insulation and make it a great street car... but you cant always take a street car and make them capable track cars, even good autocrosssers, because they were designed without those considerations and capabilities. We're going forward on a professional (and probably a bit pricey) integrated soft top very soon after or close to concurrent with launch. A well-built FFR Mk4 or 33 is a darn good street car and the 818 will take that a bit further. Where we are right now is a SOLID platform for a good number of directions we can take the design. I've described it frequently as a "swatch-watch" concept and we are at the headwaters of that, and will allow interest and following to determine which paths we continue to pursue.

Bottom line is that the 818S benefits tremendously from the core competence of the chassis, suspension and overall design and it wouldnt be a Factory Five if it didnt have a full steel tubular chassis and proper construction.

The proof of this strategy has played itself out at races, track events, autocrosses, and club events so many times over the years and was on display last Sunday at a small no-name autocross in Riverside the day after the HB cruise-in. I proudly watched about 25-30 FFR's DRIVE from all over so cal and southwest, the cars hit the track and ran hard all day, putting grins on everyones faces. Many of the guys had never tracked their cars before and everyone had a blast spanking their cars all day in 90 degree heat! Only one car had a problem (it wasn't a FFR) and after a long day at the track I sat and watched each car load up and drive home, many with their wives sitting next to them! THAT is Factory Five!

Also I got tears in my eyes as there was another non-FFR car that ran hard all day and then loaded up and drove home... It was a young kid, passionate, with dirty hands and not much money... and he was driving an old 1988 fox body 5.0 Mustang. Heart and Soul baby! THAT is also Factory Five Racing!

The 818 chassis design will take it's rightful place in the FFR line-up. The 818 chassis will do its job to protect the souls who travel in it. The 818 chassis will do its job when asked to perform at the limits... and most days, as guys drive the car down the street or motor down the highway, all that work we've done will simply be there lying as energy in repose, waiting for you to ask it to do more, waiting to be called upon, waiting to wrap a smile all the way around your skull. It is over-engineered and so much more capable than most will ever ask for... just the way it ought to be if it's gonna wear a Factory Five badge, no matter what the price.

Again, the guys have done their jobs. We've done our best work. Is the car perfect? Nope. But it's 1000 times better than ANYTHING at this price and it's our best work to date. It might sound corny or overly gushy/emotional, but the real truth that I want you guys to know is that I'm not just trying to make money and sell cars. This car, like everything we've done, HAS to deliver on a much larger mission and contribute to the hard work of forging this company into legend. I know it sounds conceited, but my goal is nothing short of looking back years from now and seeing that we've BUILT one of the great and Iconic American Car companies of all time. Our reach MUST always exceed our grasp and in the effort I KNOW we'll find our reach to be so much more than we dreamed and with the 818, we're well on our way towards those goals.

Dave Smith
    President
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 05-04-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added a bunch of mushy stuff
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a great day Dave! I'm puttering on my old BMW 325IC getting ready to enjoy an awesome weekend! The 818 is looking AWESOME, I can't wait to bolt that baby together and get those donor parts onto something that rolls vs stacks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A most inspirational post, Mr. Smith! Makes me want to jump in and preorder a car -- except that I did that months ago. And I eagerly look forward to taking delivery of my 818S next fall.

Your pride in what you have accomplished fairly leaps off the page. And that's as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    ........... Still, I wanted to point something out that I've been asked about frequently. "Why are we spending so much time on the performance, handling, chassis rigidity, on the car when so many guys intend on using the car on the street?"

Well, the answer is that the perf testing is more visible and fun, but there's evern more work being done on the other aspects of the car for sure... BUT back in the early days the cheesy kit car competitors would alway say that our cars "may be fast on the track, but they weren't capable street cars" That was only sales crap. The truth is that the core foundation of chassis/suspension/safety and NVH is so central to a good street design. Think of it this way. You can ALWAYS take a capable sports car design and soften up the shocks/springs, add sound insulation and make it a great street car... but you cant always take a street car and make them capable track cars, even good autocrosssers, because they were designed without those considerations and capabilities.
    That's not a question I needed to ask. Although I'm building a pure streeter not destined for racing (well, maybe the occasional track day, or "no-name" autocross), the simple fact that the car was DESIGNED to be capable of that is to me downright essential, and it is the reason that the car is virtually guaranteed to be successful.

Reading the 818 testing results on this thread goes beyond exciting -- It's just plain thrilling, at least to me. I can't wait!
    Last edited by Silvertop; 05-04-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Your formula for "over engineering" the chassis on these cars is greatly appreciated by me and many others. Although, not an engineer, I find the design concept to be essential for how they may be used. I will push mine to the limit less than many but still know that I am relatively safe in doing so. If I have another build in me, I may take on this newest offering. It is really tempting knowing what I have in my garage already. I hope you and the folks at FFR continue sailing along in fair winds. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first found this forum I saw a post made by David Smith that in part said "Remember, a human soul rides in every car we build" and that in itself told me a lot about the man.
    Fast is nice, good looking is nice but KNOWING that the people that built the orginal package care about your safety above profits means so much more.
    Then I went to FFR and outside the building ran into Dave Smith. Now I could tell the guy had a lot on his mind and was busy but he took a couple minutes to say hello.
    Then in a almost 3 hour tour with Jason I saw the comitment to quality that goes into these cars.
    I don't think you can ask any more from any company than what I saw with my own eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for this post Dave!

That Jim and his team are able to design, test, and fine-tune the 818 in both a NO APOLOGIES 818R track car (that could even wear street plates) and the 818S Street car concurrently is testament to your personal commitment to creating EXCEPTIONAL cars for those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to build them. I have put my own money down, ordering a 818S the first day the pre-order was made available, and look forward to getting it this fall (so close, but also causing loss of sleep in anticipation). Thank you for also for keeping this car affordable, so that more of us can afford to build an 818 and still add some performance goodies to carry it thru. My 818S will carry as much 818R as it can (Suspension, Aero, Depowered Brakes with balance beam on the pedal, depowered rack, headers, up-pipe, downpipe, some engine goodies, track seats, ultra high performance street tires set up stagered like the current 818R, splitter, wing, diffuser...) to become an 818SR running at 4" roadheight rather than 3" of the soon to be famous 818R sibling. I will proudly dirty my hands bringing my 818SR to the street. Dirt under the fingernails is a badge of honor.

Thank you for everything you and Factory Five have done in creating the 818.

I am excited for what you and your team will accomplish down the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    +1 I concur

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm watching the SRT team run gingerman on speedvision right now and the 818 looked faster.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Building a quality performance car was beyond my grasp until I reached out to Factory Five in 2007 for a roadster kit.
    Now Factory Five has extended my reach yet again as I await building an 818 this summer.
    Thanks Dave and all others at FFR!
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    The best time on the 818R was a 1:29.44 running NCCAR clockwise.
    The 818R was the second fastest car that has been timed running clockwise.
    A Radical ran a 1:10.xx, third fastest was a Noble at 1:32.xx

This is likely the Noble M400s which were run at NCCAR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400

Well Done Dave, Jim & Factory Five!!! The Amount our reach has been extended by Factory Five is staggering!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a second video of some of the Nobles which 818R bested:

Well Done Factory Five!!!

Thank you for sharing all of the track info and video with us Wayne!
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 05-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to hear the performance aspect of it is going so well.

If you guys are even putting half as much effort into the fit and finish of the 818 I think most of us will be very pleased. This is my first kit car, and honestly performance and reliability I haven't ever really been worried about because of Factory Five's reputation. My main concerns have been with the fit and finish of the completed car. I've browsed through GTM builds and often a fair amount of body work and minor modifications are needed to get everything to line up well. I've seen some pretty terrible kit cars with large panel gaps and interior parts that aren't lined up correctly and things like that. With FF building everything from scratch, even despite their good reputation, I'm still slightly concerned. But I will say my concern is gradually fading away as more pictures and videos are posted of the cars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12