Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ? 3-link vs 4-link ?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

? 3-link vs 4-link ?

I have an early MK-II or late MK-1 (I call it a MK-1.5) with about 8,000-miles on it. It currently has a live axle with Pro-Shock coil overs on all 4-corners and FFR tubular upper and lower rear control arms as well as the tubular upper/lower front "A" arms. I've noticed that I have less tolerance for road bumps etc. and was wondering if the 3-link suspension would make the ride more comfortable. We are really not interested in track performance etc. but do participate in several mountain drives through the San Diego mountains and of course lots of freeway driving.

Thanks,

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,
    I have driven and been in a passenger in roadsters with all three of the options from FFR (3-link, 4-link, IRS). From a comfort standpoint the IRS is the Cadillac (like Jim's car) and then the 3-link (like mine) lastly the 4-link like yours. You might send a PM to Ralph Button and se what he has in his car.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, I do not think that the switch from 4 to 3 link will really make that much of a difference in ride quality. However, springs and shock will make a big difference. When I had pro-shocks, I used 250 lb springs, and I thought the ride was very good. Also, don't judge all 3 links by the ride that you had in my car last week. I have changed over to the konis with stiffer springs, so the ride has deteriorated, but performance is enhanced.

I can certainly understand your concern, I thought that the freeways out there were surprisingly rough, especially for a short wheelbase car like ours.

Derald.

Tech Manager, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray - People have commented that the Koni coilovers rode a little more comfortably than the Bilsteins or Pro Shocks, but I'd agree with Derald that there's not a huge gain from 4 to 3-link. One exception, though, might be if you're running really stiff bushings in the 4 link arms: Those upper arms bind as you go toward full bump or full droop in the range of suspension motion, and the stiffer the bushing, the more it binds, so it may feel as though you have an even stronger spring rate than is on those coilovers.

IRS is definitely the winner on ride comfort, just a bit more of a commitment, of course!

Jason @ FFR