Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AWD's New build... lots of questions....

Post Thanks / Like

AWD's New build... lots of questions....

Ok, so I drove 6 hours to VA to pick up a 2015 MK4 that hasnt been started yet. It was a basic kit, with some upgrades. I will probably be looking to off load some parts, and pick up other parts. I am completely new to this, so any help and tips will be well received.

Basic kit with
    18" wheels
    SS exhaust (sold)
    Dash with glove box (sold)
    front and rear bumper set (Sold)
    IRS complete setup
    GPS gauges
    SS roll bars both sides (sold)

What I still need (from what I have read)
    Front spindle and hubs
    both front and rear brakes
    Gas tank
    Steering rack
    Harness's
    Lower control arms

Last edited by awd-turbo; 09-06-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: selling of items

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    First off dive into the build manual and while reading keep in mind photos often show optional not basic parts. You didn't state what you had in mind for the engine and trans which makes it hard to name some other things. I had looked at both basic and complete kits and one thing I was definite on was getting the new wiring. Since the kit is from 2015 make sure you know which IRS it has it might be the older Thunderbird setup. Sounds like your in for a fun ride, the more details you post here the more help you will get.
    Daily Driver 2011 Ford Mustang Convertible
    Donor 1997 Mustang Coupe
    Someday a Type65 Street Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    hey man thanks..

I do have a new wiring harness. I dont know about the IRS, ill have to look into all of that. I started reading the manual the night i got it. I have been on here for a while lurking. I am doing a 306 carb engine, with a tko600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be fun! Label everything. That will payoff down the line after you've started consolidating parts from box to box. (Not that anyone would do such a thing...) Since you still need a steering rack, this is a good time to decide which way you want to go - manual or power. I got the manual rack with my kit, then decided to go with power steering. If you decide to go manual, I have an available rack!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Should be fun! Label everything. That will payoff down the line after you've started consolidating parts from box to box. (Not that anyone would do such a thing...) Since you still need a steering rack, this is a good time to decide which way you want to go - manual or power. I got the manual rack with my kit, then decided to go with power steering. If you decide to go manual, I have an available rack!
    PM'd you

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the family - good on you for saving a kit that was languishing. Enjoy the journey!!!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gumball.

Mod's you can move this to the build section please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mods please move to the build thread! Pleasde!

Well, I have been all over the forums looking for the last bit of parts that I need... Between the facebook page, and here, I have almost gotten everything I need. The last bit I need is the radiator, and mounting kit.. So if anyone has onelet me know...

I do have some stuff up for sale. SS exhaust, SS bumper kit, SS roll bars (both of them)

Built the body buck, and moved the body. I have built the coilovers, and gone through everything 2000000000 times.. I should really dive into this week, and get a lot accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like
    AWD-

Looks like you got yourself a nice deal! Since it hasn't been started yet, you don't need to go back over anything, which is nice.

I like your garage; great floor, lots of space, tall ceiling, and more. Looks like a great space.

Good luck as you get started!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    AWD-

Looks like you got yourself a nice deal! Since it hasn't been started yet, you don't need to go back over anything, which is nice.

I like your garage; great floor, lots of space, tall ceiling, and more. Looks like a great space.

Good luck as you get started!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks... I built this house 4 years ago, and did the floors right when i moved in. They are in bad shape already, ha. I have done so much work out in the garage, it is almost my main living area. You cant see it, but on one wall I have a tv, which helps with the PDF version of the build manual, and a sound system for jamming out while wrenching...

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more progress... I have been painting panels and started on the suspension. I am missing half the bolts it looks like. So I had to call FF multiple times yesterday and get things squared away... 65.00 later...

Front suspension as much as I could do!

Panels getting some paint

F panels finished and look great! Really happy with how they turned out.

Rear Passanger suspension. This is as far as I could go, missing the correct bolts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of waiting going on over here. I did rivet the firewall up, along with the f-panels. looks great right now.. I started to look at engines, called Mike and gots some quotes. I am wanting to do a 427. How much HP can the IRS pumkin hold? It came with the kit from ford racing and has the 3.55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still hitting snags. So I ordered the wilwood setup. Got the setup, the panel was cut wrong and didnt match up. I called FF they are sending another one... Started to build the pedal box, the instructions say to open the "secondary parts bags" and I dont have one of those! So i started to inventory the box that I just recieved, and I am missing a lot of screws and nuts, along with some other plates... Only thing on back order for this order, was the rear bolt set that I ordered... Looks like I am also missing the front lower control arm bolts...

Very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    new front panel came in today... Looks wrong to me! Am I wrong?

This is what the original panel looked like

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got to finish up the front suspension. Along with the rear suspension (I still need to torque everything down) fuel tank is now in.

Pedal box is built and in. Along with a lot of the sheet metal. I think one more night and it will all be in, well what I can do at least. Most of it is painted, only pieces left to paint are some of the ones in the box. I painted everything with rustoleum high heat primer and paint.

I also coated the underside sheet metal with their rubberized paint. I did this for two reasons. One for all the little tiney rocks that are going to bounce off the underside, I dont want to hear them. And 2 for a little sound deadening... I have ordered some thermo tec, and will be lining the foot boxes, along with the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to much as I am coming off the flu.

So, I have been waiting for some more parts... Parts to fix parts that were wrong... Both from Factory five "miss runs" and from me not communicating correctly what parts I needed... Most of the paneling is complete. I have the driver side foot box to finish up, but I am not going to do that for a little bit. I am the wire harness, and fuel lines to be run. After that tranny and engine!!! I think I am going to call Mike Forte and place my order this week for the 427 with a tko600 tranny... The paneling so far looks really good in person, it is a shame I bought 4 rolls of thermo cool to cover the majority of it up! =(

The build so far is a lot of fun! I have a hard time waiting for the parts to come in. Well here are the latest pictures...

Front brakes and suspension

passanger side cockpit... Thermo cool in the foot box..

Back wall! I think I am going to wait on the thermo cool for a lot of the cockpit...

rear suspension

fuel tank setup..

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have been waiting for some parts... Mainly the sleeves for the rear end. It has been a head ache! Multiple orders... multiple phone calls... And Dan, engineers, and parts guys figured out the issue! Wrong parts in the wrong bin... After 4 orders of sleeves for the rear end, I can finally set it completely in place... These are just two of the 4 orders.... Def dont fit a m14 bolt, or the bushings!

Brakes were completed on the front side. I ran half the line to the rear. I am still waiting for the calibers and a mounting piece for the rear. I dont want to run the lines until I have everything in place.

this one is a mix of the wires and what I did for the front line. I didnt want to run it through a hole in the pedal box, so I took it outside the top and notches a hole. This should keep it away from anything that has a chance to rub on it

Fuel line is run. I had to run to the store today to get the correct rubber gasket hangers... I should have that completely in tonight! =)

Im still not sure how I want to mount the brake res... so the lines are just hanging for now!

I am still waiting for some parts. I ordered my engine today. Mike forte 427 block and a TKO 600 tranny... I cant wait for that thing....

I need to order a radiator, engine mounts (kit I have came with the 4.6 engine mounts) and a drive shaft. Since I have not seen one of those in any boxes yet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because I love those rims!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice progress! I think we all take that picture with the wheel/tire mounted up for no good reason other than to take a picture! haha
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming along very nice! Keep up the good work and posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is getting there.... any input is welcomed!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    It is getting there.... any input is welcomed!
    Make you dash so you can remove it if needed without taking the body off. Many threads address this issue. Here is a link to mine.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info... It will def be removable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some work this past week. Finishing up things before my engine get here

I built the rear brakes, and plummed as much of the lines as I can. I am missing the "T" fitting and the two tabs. I will give it to FFR, their customer service is up there...

rear brake line

calipers

I am still waiting for the brake pads... They are on back order still

The clearance of the 18" rim

ran the E-Brake.... I need to attached it still

3/8 fuel line is in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started the dash mock up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone else had to modify their dash? Do you see how in the middle it is low? I was going to raise the center, and then trim down the ends to match the frame rail. Anyone else have to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I raised my dash to where the center was flush and then trimmed the ends to match the curvature of the frame hoop. You need to be careful here. For me, I had the extra space due to my competition dash. In your case, raising the dash may create a clearance issue with your far left speedo or tack gauge. Either way, you do not want the dash sides above the frame hoop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would throw a clamp on that flexible gas line to barb fitting. I know the new push and twist stuff, says no clamp needed, but I just feel better. Did you have any trouble finding a 3/8 inverted 45* flare to 3/8 pipe thread fitting? All the stuff is out there, but getting the parts people to understand is the obstacle.

While going through your thread, I noticed you have a nylock nut on your tie rod ends. Probably not a big issue, but I think the norm for safety is a castellated nut with a cotter key.
    Last edited by Railroad; 03-20-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I would throw a clamp on that flexible gas line to barb fitting. I know the new push and twist stuff, says no clamp needed, but I just feel better. Did you have any trouble finding a 3/8 inverted 45* flare to 3/8 pipe thread fitting? All the stuff is out there, but getting the parts people to understand is the obstacle.

While going through your thread, I noticed you have a nylock nut on your tie rod ends. Probably not a big issue, but I think the norm for safety is a castellated nut with a cotter key.
    Yea I will clamp everything... Just pictures before I could make another run to the store for some good solid clamps...
    Tie rod does have a nylon nut on it... It came like that. There is no hole for a cotter pin. I guess I could make a hole... But the build manual says if you got a nylon nut with your kit you dont need a cotter pin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    I raised my dash to where the center was flush and then trimmed the ends to match the curvature of the frame hoop. You need to be careful here. For me, I had the extra space due to my competition dash. In your case, raising the dash may create a clearance issue with your far left speedo or tack gauge. Either way, you do not want the dash sides above the frame hoop.
    Good call out on that. I might have just over looked that part and would not have paid attention to it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered headers for the 427w.... I used Gas-N... They look awesome. Ill let you know fit and finish once they are installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on my dash and wiring. This step might take me a min. I hate electrical.... So it is a learning curve for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone else had to modify their dash? Do you see how in the middle it is low? I was going to raise the center, and then trim down the ends to match the frame rail. Anyone else have to do this?
    Good luck with the electrical. That was the most challenging part for me.

Did you end up modifying the dash? The body lip should cover that area you are concerned about and you would never see it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not modified it yet. I didnt want to, unless I really had to. So i have been procrastinating on that set! ha

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running a 427w with a carb setup. I have two lines running to the rear of the car for the gas tank (one is for sending unit, and the other is for fuel pump). Since my "fuel pump" is up on the carb, do I need to pull the second wire to the front of the car for the engine bay?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not modified it yet. I didnt want to, unless I really had to. So i have been procrastinating on that set! ha
    Not sure of the gauges you plan to use but what I found is that if I raised the center the far left gauge (tach) would be so close to the hoop that you won't be able to screw the backing plate onto the tach...so you may want to check that before you cut...my two cents.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Updating...... I have gotten some more work done... Forte hasnt shipped my engine yet, so I finished out the ff metal rear battery box. Painted it and mounted it. Finally got my brakes pads from FF, put those in, and bleed the brakes. Only had one connection that was leaking... Fixed that and moved on.

BODY WORK!!!!!!!

So, I have been reading a lot about body work. My budget doesnt allow for me to pay someone. Having never done body work before, it sounded fun! NOT... Although I must admit, so far it has been fun.

I washed the car with dawn and scrubbed it down 6 times....
    Brought the body into the garage and let it dry for 4 days...
    picked up grease and wax remover from Oriellys auto parts.
    used micro towels to apply the grease and wax remover, and a bigger towel to removed it before it dried. Which was fast!
    I did 4 applications of this. Then I decided to pour the grease and wax remover on the car and wipe it off...
    So I took the gallon can and dumped it on the car. I did 1/4 of the car at a time. wiped it off. I found some different static properties when I did this compared to when I wiped it on/off... The static was huge! If I walked within 3 inches of the car, my pants or shirt would pull towards the car!
    Once I was done, I pulled out the air hose and blew off any pieces of hair/fibers stuck to the car. I got all my blocks out (bought dura blocks), got 120grit paper out, and started on the seams. Let me know what I am doing wrong. I know in one or two places im pretty sure I went to far.

block rub and went to far on the fiber glass??

better picture of where my block was rubbing and went to far

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thread ... I too am doing my own body work ... for the first time. Jeff Miller, Jeff Kleiner, EdwardB and Gumball have excellent threads and posts in both forums and offer constructive feedback as well.

My recommendation is to also get the flexible foam blocks like these from Eastwood ...

http://www.eastwood.com/soft-sanders...ch-6-pack.html

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    awd,
    You didn't "go too far". You have discovered voids in the glass. Clean 'em up, fill them to flush with 3M HSRF and move on.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast