FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory Five GTM Supercar, fastthings video build log

Post Thanks / Like
    That's funny Taz, it's hard to talk to myself with excitement. I don't care if my hair is combed either.

Video 50 may be a go kart ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the weather has been bad so no go kart ride, but it is ready. A few things to still work out, but all in all it's ready. Vidal, I got your PM but it keeps freezeing my browser. I'll put the body on it for a "make sure" look and paint it. It needs a tune so I'll wait to run it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Gene!!!! You might want to double check your exhaust mount. In the video it is attached to the rear sub-frame. That sub frame will not move with the engine. You might want to change that mounting point to the frame that is attached to the trans-axle so that they move together. You might be able to get away with the current configuration you have if you can get some bushings in there to take care of that movement. Make sure those bushing can handle the heat that will transfer thru the mount bracket.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's always something, huh, Kempo. I never thought of that. I get no movement out of the motor, at all. Do you have the stock mounts, or the Pfat mounts. I think for now I might be OK? I'll scope it out somemore, thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I do have the stock mounts.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gene

Looking great. I also have the phadt mounts.

I did this to isolate the engine twist while attaching the exhaust to the frame.

Following Hugo's suggestion I isolated the clamp from the exhaust tube with a layer of fiberglass wrap. The bushings have been ok all year.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, while I like the execution of the catch cans....you might think about moving them outside the beautiful engine compartment (either in both corners behind the rear wheels or over the tail housing of the tranny). What I think you find happen is that oil mist/vapor WILL come out of those filters and then turn back into liquid and make a mess in your engine compartment. I have both covers vented to one catch can and it still makes a mess...maybe cause you have 2 you'll have better luck....in any event sounds really good.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_2676.JPG
    Gene,
    The exhaust twists with engine, I also have the factory set up. I used Kempo's set up to have the exhaust bolted to the sub frame.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I really appriciate the help guys, thanks. I'll redo the mount, when will it end???? Man, I want this thing done.

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds good Gene....
    & my girlfriend is gonna LUV it when she hears you added a new TWENTY SIX MINUTE video to your build log...

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gene... are you going to have to do any more cutting on the body now that you have the kart together??? wheels going to line up like you hoped???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    Gene... are you going to have to do any more cutting on the body now that you have the kart together??? wheels going to line up like you hoped???
    Everything looks good, except....

I will post a new vid showing the redo of the front left fender. Basicly I widened the nose to cover both wheels. The hood wants to rest with the right wheel covered and the left not. No big deal, move it over. What I did not see, from not haveing the wheels on it doing the bodywork, was the very crooked and different angle line side to side. When you sight down the front of the car you see the right fender leaves a nice vertical line with the tire and a small amount of taper at the bottom. The left, line of sight is in and out with a very agressive taper at the bottom showing so much more tire. So now they match with both sides covering the wheels. I didn't have to cut anything, just added to it, the inside is untouched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another video done. I'm in the middle of prepping the body for paint right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gene. Your car looks awesome. As someone who has stared at the GTM for over two years, I can see you have perfected it.

You covered the caster. The other thing to consider is you will not run the toyo r888 with 0 camber. I ran he RA1 s and will also run the 888s with 2.7 degrees of camber on the 245s. I'd figure that you will run 1.5 to 2 degrees on the street.

That brings the top of the tires in a noticeable amount. It wil be fine as it will be the same on both sides but since you have optimized everything. I wanted to point it out before you paint.

Same in the rear. But not as much of a change.

Looking great!

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John,

Yep I do realize that when I dial in the camber it will change the profile, as well as the toe, but it will change even. I set it at zero just because that is the easiest for me to find, (I used a level for camber, and sighted down the tires to get the toe). I have an appointment on the 21st to get it aligned and the corner wheights set.

So you think about 1.5 camber, is that front and rear? What is the majic number for the rear toe, .125?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene,

These are my alignment numbers for my Gen2. I think the rear camber is a bit high but that's the best I could do. With these settings at a ride height of 4.25" the car is very stable (at least up to 100 mph). I have about 800 miles on it now over the last 2 months and am very happy with the feel of the car. Hope that helps.

Front: Toe: R: 1/16" L: 1/16" Total 1/8"
    Camber: R: -0.61 deg. L: -0.63 deg
    Caster: R: 5.72 deg. L: 5.72 deg

Rear: Toe: R: 1/16" L: 1/16" Total: 1/8"
    Camber: R: -1.14 deg L: -1.11 deg

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene I used this as my track setup. It's close to what Michael runs too.

It was plenty stable up to 155.

I'll make a few tweeks taking some rear camber out and adding some more caster up front. This setup was fine so I didn't mess with it last year . This year I'll work on fine tuning.

Left Front Right front
    caster -3 caster -3
    camber -2.8 camber -2.7
    toe -1/16 toe -1/16

Left Rear Right Rear
    camber -1 camber -1
    toe -1/16 toe -1/16

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,

I hope setting up the corner weight goes ok. I don't recall hearing anyone haveing trouble with an unbalanced chasis.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 steps forward 3 steps back, you guys know this dance, don't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene,
    If the fisheye only happened at the end it could have been caused by moisture in the compressed air, too late to do anything about it now but maybe worth checking if you need to respray that a water trap is fitted and empty. I have no experience of spraying in really cold climates but have had to stop spraying my ute for about a week because the water trap was filling up so fast on warm (25-30 deg Celcius) humid days.

When it all seems to be going wrong or not to plan and I find it hard to get motivated I find looking back at what I started with and where I'm at gets me back on track, you have the advantage that you have recorded it all and you have come so far and you're getting closer everytime you work on your car.

I can't wait to see the finished car.
    Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    2 steps forward 3 steps back, you guys know this dance, don't you?
    I'd give up my best build days to have your problems!

The car looks outstanding; just a few minor set backs to clear up and you'll be laughing.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xatudor View Post
    Gene,
    If the fisheye only happened at the end it could have been caused by moisture in the compressed air, too late to do anything about it now but maybe worth checking if you need to respray that a water trap is fitted and empty. I have no experience of spraying in really cold climates but have had to stop spraying my ute for about a week because the water trap was filling up so fast on warm (25-30 deg Celcius) humid days.

When it all seems to be going wrong or not to plan and I find it hard to get motivated I find looking back at what I started with and where I'm at gets me back on track, you have the advantage that you have recorded it all and you have come so far and you're getting closer everytime you work on your car.

I can't wait to see the finished car.
    Mick
    The booth I was in is top notch, they never have any trouble. Besides, the hanging parts and the hood came out great. I really blame it on myself. The first part I sanded and washed was the body, I used the same wash mit and bucket that my boy uses for washing his car, full of wax I assume. I went ahead and did some more body work on the body and finnish sanded all the parts. I went to wash them and said to myself, hmm I better not use that mit. So I grabbed a rag and washed out the bucket real good. I really think thats what happened. I'll probably respray it in my garage and it will be fine.

Thanks Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    I'd give up my best build days to have your problems!

The car looks outstanding; just a few minor set backs to clear up and you'll be laughing.
    I hear ya, thanks man.

Post Thanks / Like
    The booth I was in is top notch, they never have any trouble. Besides, the hanging parts and the hood came out great. I really blame it on myself. The first part I sanded and washed was the body, I used the same wash mit and bucket that my boy uses for washing his car, full of wax I assume. I went ahead and did some more body work on the body and finnish sanded all the parts. I went to wash them and said to myself, hmm I better not use that mit. So I grabbed a rag and washed out the bucket real good. I really think thats what happened. I'll probably respray it in my garage and it will be fine.
    Hey Gene,

Don't beat yourself up too much over the fisheyes. I've done everything by the book, on preping a car for paint, and then have some balloon head cut loose with some silicone that floated in the air, across the shop, through the shop doors, and land in the paint shop, and get sucked into the booth, while I'm spraying.

Just file it under S_ _t happens. OR........

Your GTM is pissed at you for letting it sit while you worked on your sons VW! Just Saying

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Gene,

Heard you say you had about 1K in materials on the video if I heard that correctly (listened twice). Is that including paint? I thought it was much more usually. What did you use?

Too bad about the contaminants but it doesn't look like you will have too much trouble fixing it. When you're expecting perfect anything else is a bummer!!!

I've enjoyed following your build. Thanks, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Hey Gene,

Don't beat yourself up too much over the fisheyes. I've done everything by the book, on preping a car for paint, and then have some balloon head cut loose with some silicone that floated in the air, across the shop, through the shop doors, and land in the paint shop, and get sucked into the booth, while I'm spraying.

Just file it under S_ _t happens. OR........

Your GTM is pissed at you for letting it sit while you worked on your sons VW! Just Saying

Ron
    Ron, you crack me up. I hope the GTM isn't pissed at me, but maybe it is. Your starting to make me think it could be true. From all the time I've been spending on the GTM, my truck is pissed at me now, it has no power, can't even spin out in the mud. I let my daughter use my 02 BMW to let her nephew take his driver license test, she called me on the side of the road, smoke coming out of the hood and it just free revs in gear, it's pissed. And now my wife tells me her SRX was trying to die yesterday, it's pissed too. I tell ya, I just need to slow down and take care of things. I'm running around like a zombie. I'm doing nothing Sunday but watching the 500.

Are you a painter? I've seen painters so mad about silicone in the shop, it seems like it takes weeks if not months to go away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Gene,

Heard you say you had about 1K in materials on the video if I heard that correctly (listened twice). Is that including paint? I thought it was much more usually. What did you use?

Too bad about the contaminants but it doesn't look like you will have too much trouble fixing it. When you're expecting perfect anything else is a bummer!!!

I've enjoyed following your build. Thanks, WEK.
    Yes including paint. I'm useing PPG urethane enamel, factory pack black. The other color I had would have been 1500 just for the paint. Red is very expensive, black is not, different colors cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, you crack me up. I hope the GTM isn't pissed at me, but maybe it is. Your starting to make me think it could be true. From all the time I've been spending on the GTM, my truck is pissed at me now, it has no power, can't even spin out in the mud. I let my daughter use my 02 BMW to let her nephew take his driver license test, she called me on the side of the road, smoke coming out of the hood and it just free revs in gear, it's pissed. And now my wife tells me her SRX was trying to die yesterday, it's pissed too. I tell ya, I just need to slow down and take care of things. I'm running around like a zombie. I'm doing nothing Sunday but watching the 500.

Are you a painter? I've seen painters so mad about silicone in the shop, it seems like it takes weeks if not months to go away.
    Damn Gene when it rains in the car world, it looks like it pours on you like a monsoon.

Yes I was a painter for about 24 years till common sense and old age over took me and I got out of the bussiness, and yes silicone in the shop is a painters number one enemy

I was the one that painted Rumrunners #327 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...os-of-GTM-327-!

Hang in there. Have cold adult beverage. Stick to do nothing on Sunday. Have more cold adult beverages. Then ask forgiveness from all of your cars, and hope they don't hold a grudge against you.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Gene when it rains in the car world, it looks like it pours on you like a monsoon.

Yes I was a painter for about 24 years till common sense and old age over took me and I got out of the bussiness, and yes silicone in the shop is a painters number one enemy

I was the one that painted Rumrunners #327 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...os-of-GTM-327-!

Hang in there. Have cold adult beverage. Stick to do nothing on Sunday. Have more cold adult beverages. Then ask forgiveness from all of your cars, and hope they don't hold a grudge against you.

Ron
    Well, cool, I feel a coonection to you then, I grew up in body shops. I started out watching my dad fix cars, using lead, asbestos, no wire feed welders, back in the day. Back then, if you brought in a 5th of whiskey with your car we waved your deductable. I used to watch my dad mix paint with a cigaret in his mouth. It's kinda funny how there is such a love hate relationship between bodymen and painters.

* I'm not a painter, I'm a bodyamn. I have much respect for painters.
    Last edited by fastthings; 02-20-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: *

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, cool, I feel a coonection to you then, I grew up in body shops. I started out watching my dad fix cars, using lead, asbestos, no wire feed welders, back in the day. Back then, if you brought in a 5th of whiskey with your car we waved your deductable. I used to watch my dad mix paint with a cigaret in his mouth. It's kinda funny how there is such a love hate relationship between bodymen and painters.

* I'm not a painter, I'm a bodyamn. I have much respect for painters.
    Oh yeah the good old days, when a fifth would get you somewhere

And yes I got along with some of the bodymen that I work with.....Usually after an understanding of the certain order of things that were allowed and not allowed were established. As you know the rule of the shop...

The last one to touch/work on the car it owned it. But working with the bodymen of the shop, I can safely say that the come back, or worse the never leave cars were very low. We lived by the watching each others backs code

BTW: Did you use single stage or two stage paint, and how many coats did you say you put on before you pulled the plug ?

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 02-20-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added Word/Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah the good old days, when a fifth would get you somewhere

And yes I got along with some of the bodymen that I work with.....Usually after an understanding of the certain order of things that were allowed and not allowed were established. As you know the rule of the shop...

The last one to touch/work on the car it owned it. But working with the bodymen of the shop, I can safely say that the come back, or worse the never leave cars were very low. We lived by the watching each others backs code

BTW: Did you use single stage or two stage paint, and how many coats did you say you put on before you pulled the plug ?

Ron
    Single stage, the first time 2 coats. The second time the 3rd coat went to shi. I don't know why the sealer went on fine, and the fish eye came on more and more after each coat. Normaly I would see it right from the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Single stage, the first time 2 coats. The second time the 3rd coat went to shi. I don't know why the sealer went on fine, and the fish eye came on more and more after each coat. Normaly I would see it right from the start.
    Okay it sucks but it's not the end of the world.

Sounds like the incoming air might have picked some contamination. One time I worked close to a fast food restaurant, and when the wind changed direction along came the grease that was kicked out of the exhaust fan. Another time it was a diesel truck that was left to idle right outside of the paint booth intake vent.

On the bright side of life, after you wet sand the body and get rid of the fisheyes, when you go to repaint it, you'll have a nice solid hardened base to lay the new coats over. If your real lucky it might flow out and set up so good that you might not have to any buffing on the main body. Of course your next worry is to get the rest of the panels to look as good.

Remember to use a good grease and wax remover/cleaner, dry it off really good, and open a new tack rag just before you pull the trigger

Good Luck

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    You saw that huh, I have a story for that too. After seeing the carnage of the first 2 coats on the body go to hell, we kicked in the bake cycle and got it out. We put in the hood and doors in and tryed figure out what went wrong. My buddy and I, both body guys, decided that I had my air preasure to low and I was trying to put it on too wet for the first coat. Maybe giving the fish eye too good of a home to live in. So the plan was to put it on kind of dry on the doors and hood, the first coat, then lay it on . It didn't come out so smooth. But I got lots of material on it, and I know how to get rid of orange peel, and I'm a pro of getting runs out, Iv'e had some major practice.

I'm going to sanatize that thing with borax or something, go over it real good with a scuff pad.

Thanks Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, things went pretty well at the tuner. I have a couple of things to iron out but all in all a good day. I got 440 to the wheels. Torque starts at 300 2000 rpm, then a nice flat line at 400 pretty much out to 6500. So I guess if you take the 550 horse, at the crank, Trick Flow kit and take off 20% it should put me at 440, so I'm happy. I drove it real quik with my boy, what a hand full. Quarter throtle and it's going bullistic. The idle is sick, very loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    What no video

Post Thanks / Like
    What no video
    I'll do it up and get it on their tomorrow. I was busy watching Junior win a race last night

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Here it is, the gokart ride. Boy, the video doesn't show the jist of it. When I'm on the road, it's pulling so hard wheels spinning, what a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Gene. You are getting closer to the finish line.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Spinning? Like I said Gene, NO $h1T Sherlock

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast